“Rustic and Beautiful”
Review of The Brothers Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beaver Island
The Brothers Place
Eastlake, Ohio, United States
“Rustic and Beautiful”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

My husband & I stayed at the Brother's Place for a weekend in mid-August in 2011. It was not our first choice, but we ended up staying there because it was Homecoming Weekend and we didn't have any other choice as everything else was booked up. We ended up loving it! Its definitely not for the person looking for a 5-star hotel - theres no TV's in the rooms or even bathrooms for that matter - but if you are looking for a rustic and authentic Beaver Island feel, this is the place for you. It has a lot of history, as it used to be a retreat site for the Christian Brother's religious order for seventy years.

Our trip started out great...we had someone from the Brother's Place (I wish I could remember her name....but she was incredibly sweet) pick us up from the Beaver Island Airport, with no charge. We arrived at the grounds where she gave us a complete tour and explained the history of the place. Everyone there was so friendly!! I was amazed by the beauty as well....nestled in the woods and a short bike ride away from town.

At first, I felt that the place had a "college-dorm" kind of feel, as there aren't bathrooms in each room (they have shared men's and women's bathroom), but I think it just adds to the character of the whole place. The rooms have a lot of vintage charm, and no 2 rooms are alike, with different themes to each room. I found myself taking a lot of time just exploring the place. I was amazed at how well it has been preserved over the years!

It is inexpensive and is on a beautiful piece of property, where you can borrow bikes (no charge) and ride to town, explore the woods through the neighboring trails, play horse shoes or cornhole, enjoy a drink with other guests during "happy hour" on the porch, take a nap on the hammock, or just lazily swing on of the porch swings with a good book.

The Brother's Place was perfect for our weekend getaway....I know we will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Megan S

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips

Been to The Brothers Place? Share your experiences!