“Best Value”

Shanty Creek Resorts - Cedar River Village
Wixom
“Best Value”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have been coming to Shanty Creek Resorts now for 10 plus years. Sure there have been ups and downs however this is life every were. Show me the perfect resort and I'll tell you most of us cannot afford to go there, if it exsist? Day in and out you'll find the resort to be the best value for your hard earned money and vacation dollars. Sure other ski facilities are few hundred feet taller, but what is that 20 seconds down the hill? Golf is top shelf, Schuss Greens are as pure as you find in this State as I have golfed many courses across our great state. I have enjoyed this resort and surrounding community so well I built a retirement home. Come on up, give it try, you'll see the best resort for your valued dollar and above.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Tecumseh, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed at Cedar River Village in updated condo during Canadian March Break, room was excellent, we had the ski pakage which gave complimentary breakfast and ski lessons. We ate breakfast at Cedar River, Ivan's and Summit restaurants all were good.The view from the Summit restaurant is beautiful.The skiing was very good, but why do you close on Tuesdays for skiing? We went to Boyne for Tuesday to ski - your competition! Also there was hardly any one at this resort a few years ago the place would be packed with Canadian March break skiers, have you given up on this market? i had not seen any advertisments in Windsor Ontario news papers and this resort is a very good place for children and adults to learn. The complimentary ski lessons were also good,however they were not available one day due to lack of instructors! The condo rooms have small kiitchen with micro wave and fridge, you will need to bring your own plates etc

Room Tip: Cedar River hotel has an excellent out door pool and hot tub, rooms on floors1 and up have good view...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Deborah S
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We have just returned from a ski trip with a group of friends, and we were all disappointed! We had visited this property the prior year and enjoyed it, so we had recommended it to our group for this years trip. What we didn't realize is that each room is individually owned and therefore, not all updated, the room we stayed in last year was one of the few "upgraded" rooms. We paid around $300 per night both years, but the rooms this year were disgusting! Our rooms had filthy carpet, old tube televisions, warn furniture, outdated decor and a gross smell. When I complained to the front desk (who could not have cared any less), I was moved to a slightly less disgusting room for an additional fee! No one else in the group wanted to pay extra so they toughed it out in their less than desirable rooms. My sister turned on her gas fireplace and after about a half hour her 12 year old son came into the room and immediately vomited because the smell of gas was so strong, when the front desk was called about this all that they did was send up maintenance who proceeded to tell them to just not use the fireplace anymore! No follow up calls to make sure my nephew was okay, no apology or offer to switch rooms, nothing! Mind you this was a $300 per night room, that was not including lift tickets, just room and breakfast! The maid never came to my room, I finally called at 4 p.m. to ask for my room to be cleaned and 10 minutes later a maid knocks on my door and angrily asks me "what do you want me to do?", then proceeded to literally throw the beds together, give me new towels, and leave! No new cups, coffee, soaps, cleaning the room, nothing!! She was in and out in under 2 minutes! I suggest you try nearby Boyne Mountain, the hills are better, the rooms are nicer and the service is much better! Do not go here, you have no idea what kind of room you will get!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you specifically ask if your room is "upgraded", otherwise it will be old and gr...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Gloria V
East Lansing
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This is a condo/time share.
Roomy 2 bedroom 2 baths each with hot tub, fireplace, cooking facilities, has a huge porch with fantastic rocking chairs to view the valley and golf course, we watched deer and wild turkey from our porch every day. At this time of the year color was beautiful. Golf course are well kept up and reasonably priced. Lots of trails to walk or bike ride. Nearest town Bellaire is small but has lots of interesting shops. Near beautiful Lots of beautiful lakes.

Room Tip: No elevator ask how many stairs to your unit We had one in the middle and there was not to many s...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Della G
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 8 October 2012

After exhausting every possible option for a weekend stay in the greater Traverse City area on short notice during peak fall color tour time, I began to look at other options in the area. I had been to Shanty Creek's Schuss Mountain before in the winter for snowboarding but had never stayed at one of their resorts. I called reservations there and they had a Bed & Breakfast package for apprx. 170.00 a night (it was basically 400.00 including tax out the door for two nights). We got a really nice 2-queen-bed suite room with a large living area, a small kitchenette (microwave, medium sized fridge & sink), dining table with 4 chairs, outdoor deck/balcony with two chairs, large flat screen TVs in the bedroom and in the living room, a gas log fireplace, large bathroom with jetted tub and a separate shower. The beds were comfortable, the views over the golf course in full fall color were excellent and the package included vouchers for free breakfast in a REAL restaurant (not continental). I was actually shocked at what we got for the price in comparison to average Hampton/Fairfield/Holiday Inn hotels in Traverse City going for 269.00 -300.00-plus. It is a bit off the beaten path in terms of location but I kind of liked that. It was quiet and not in the middle of the touristy traffic of Traverse City. The location actually puts you in a good position to tour some of the more quiet little towns like Bellaire (Short's Brewery), Alden, East Jordan, Charlevoix, Boyne Falls, Petoskey and Elk Rapids in addition to Traverse City. Traverse City was just a short 30 minute drive through some beautiful back-road scenery. During peak fall color, this was almost a blessing in disguise as the drive meandered through excellent territory for checking out the sights. This resort is obviously geared mainly to golfers, there is an outdoor pool but it was obviously closed for the season. I was there with my wife and three-year old daughter and we enjoyed it. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was helpful. It was pretty quiet around there though, pretty cold for golf that weekend. We felt like we practically had the whole place to ourselves.

Room Tip: Just call their reservations line direct to see what kind of package deals they have.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mhurst96
Reviewed 2 September 2012 via mobile

We came up for a golf outing with a large group and had a great time. The courses are beautiful and reasonably priced. The staff was friendly and the free shuttle service to downtown Bellaire is a great service. Bob the driver of the bus was great and full of good information about the resort. We will be back!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Aidan B
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Suite 316 was absolutely wonderful. Overlooked the 18th hole. The view was gorgeous. The suite was clean and very comfortable. The price was reasonable for a room with a jetted tub and kitchenette. I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank katerussrd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellaire
Schuss Village-Shanty Creek Resorts
#2 of 6 in Bellaire
Stone Waters Inn
Stone Waters Inn
#3 of 4 in Bellaire

Been to Shanty Creek Resorts - Cedar River Village? Share your experiences!