“Jim Dandy Ski Club 30th Anniversary Ski-Lebration”

Shanty Creek Resorts - Cedar River Village
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Beautiful grounds, well maintained runs, tubbing hill was a blast, enjoyed a nice Swedish massage in the day spa and wound down in the outdoor heated hot tub. Natural beauty everywhere you looked. Newly remodeled rooms and excellent friendly service. I can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank GoodGirl40

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We have been going to Shanty Creek for over 20 years. We have been taking large groups skiing to Shanty Creek and other resorts, but Shanty Creek has always been the annual event everyone wants to go on. . The atmosphere and views are relaxing and breathe taking. Then there is Chef Andrew with the wonderful food. But the main difference is its people. The staff is amazing going above and beyond at every opportunity – the customer service is top notch. Once you stay at Shanty Creek you will want to always come back. Highly recommend Shanty Creek for its Lodging, Skiing, Golf, Food, and simply great service. This is not only the groups favorite trip but it is our family's favorite destination.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank CindyBunny
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We decided to put together the 1st annual golf trip, and chose to spend one day at Treetops, then the next three days at Shanty Creek. Damn, we should've just done it all at Shanty Creek!! Treetops was the first time I've ever seen or shot courses that nice, and was it ever night and day when we got to SCR!!

We had 8 total in the golf group and stayed at one of their condos at Cedar River Village. We were a little skeptical after reading the reviews about being "out of date" and "needing major renovations" in the condos and rooms at SCR - but our worries were gone once we stepped foot into this beautiful unit! This place was WAY bigger than we had ever thought, AND the back balconies (yes, more than one balcony) were facing the green on the finishing 18th hole on their Cedar River course - WHAT A VIEW! We all sat on the balcony and made bets on what the finishing golfers would do on this hole haha it was a LOT of fun!

The property was very nice, but if I had to be critical on one thing it would be sleeping arrangements. SCR had told us the condo had three bedrooms with two beds in each as well as two couch beds. All in all, we only had room to sleep 7 so THANKFULLY my buddy decided to bring his air mattress so it kind of worked out.

We didn't eat at any restaurants on the facility, so I won't be able to rate those - just golf and lodging!

The golf courses were absolutely amazing! I'll do a real quick summary of them. We started the trip shooting their Summit course - which was fairly easy, with wide fairways and not that many hazards. Don't get me wrong, when I say "easy" I don't mean regular courses that we are used to here around the city - I meant easiest of their 4 courses. It was a nice warm up round, and the people in our group that don't get out golfing too much were just amazed!

Next we played The Legend - and as you pull up to that first tee box and see the 1st hole, par 5, with a major elevation drop, you can't help but get really excited!! We all had at least some sort of shot for birdie, and my friend even had an eagle putt! (we are really high handicappers) The next hole #2 was the total opposite. Now we are looking straight in the side of this GIANT hill you had to hit up on to make the fairway.....incredible. Things just kept getting better, never seen anything like this in my life!

Schuss Mountain ATE.....EVERYBODY....ALIVE.....no JK. Didn't seem like a hard course, but everybody scores were WAY high and many, many balls were lost! It was an AWESOME course, with views to enjoy even if you are shooting bad. LOT of hills on the fairways!

My favorite, Cedar River, was just a sight to see. The elevation changes CONSTANTLY, and always makes you think about your shot. The views are simply incredible, and the course wasn't that entirely difficult. It was a perfect mix of difficulty and layout.

Everybody LOVED this trip and we would be looking forward to visiting SCR again! (and Short's Brewery!!)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We traveled North for our 5th Anniversary, stopping on the way to canoe the Platte (our first date) and arrived at SCR to be delighted with our rooms view of Lake Bellaire! Great breakfast with Gina, a sweet gal who's taken care of us before, great golf on the Legand....we felt like we were the only 2 on the course -perfect weekend!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have been coming to Shanty Creek Resorts now for 10 plus years. Sure there have been ups and downs however this is life every were. Show me the perfect resort and I'll tell you most of us cannot afford to go there, if it exsist? Day in and out you'll find the resort to be the best value for your hard earned money and vacation dollars. Sure other ski facilities are few hundred feet taller, but what is that 20 seconds down the hill? Golf is top shelf, Schuss Greens are as pure as you find in this State as I have golfed many courses across our great state. I have enjoyed this resort and surrounding community so well I built a retirement home. Come on up, give it try, you'll see the best resort for your valued dollar and above.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed at Cedar River Village in updated condo during Canadian March Break, room was excellent, we had the ski pakage which gave complimentary breakfast and ski lessons. We ate breakfast at Cedar River, Ivan's and Summit restaurants all were good.The view from the Summit restaurant is beautiful.The skiing was very good, but why do you close on Tuesdays for skiing? We went to Boyne for Tuesday to ski - your competition! Also there was hardly any one at this resort a few years ago the place would be packed with Canadian March break skiers, have you given up on this market? i had not seen any advertisments in Windsor Ontario news papers and this resort is a very good place for children and adults to learn. The complimentary ski lessons were also good,however they were not available one day due to lack of instructors! The condo rooms have small kiitchen with micro wave and fridge, you will need to bring your own plates etc

Room Tip: Cedar River hotel has an excellent out door pool and hot tub, rooms on floors1 and up have good view...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Deborah S
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We have just returned from a ski trip with a group of friends, and we were all disappointed! We had visited this property the prior year and enjoyed it, so we had recommended it to our group for this years trip. What we didn't realize is that each room is individually owned and therefore, not all updated, the room we stayed in last year was one of the few "upgraded" rooms. We paid around $300 per night both years, but the rooms this year were disgusting! Our rooms had filthy carpet, old tube televisions, warn furniture, outdated decor and a gross smell. When I complained to the front desk (who could not have cared any less), I was moved to a slightly less disgusting room for an additional fee! No one else in the group wanted to pay extra so they toughed it out in their less than desirable rooms. My sister turned on her gas fireplace and after about a half hour her 12 year old son came into the room and immediately vomited because the smell of gas was so strong, when the front desk was called about this all that they did was send up maintenance who proceeded to tell them to just not use the fireplace anymore! No follow up calls to make sure my nephew was okay, no apology or offer to switch rooms, nothing! Mind you this was a $300 per night room, that was not including lift tickets, just room and breakfast! The maid never came to my room, I finally called at 4 p.m. to ask for my room to be cleaned and 10 minutes later a maid knocks on my door and angrily asks me "what do you want me to do?", then proceeded to literally throw the beds together, give me new towels, and leave! No new cups, coffee, soaps, cleaning the room, nothing!! She was in and out in under 2 minutes! I suggest you try nearby Boyne Mountain, the hills are better, the rooms are nicer and the service is much better! Do not go here, you have no idea what kind of room you will get!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you specifically ask if your room is "upgraded", otherwise it will be old and gr...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family