“Great food, great vibe”

Dining options: After-hours
Holland, Michigan
“Great food, great vibe”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My review's only for the food, since I'm not a beer drinker. My husband is and was happy with what was on tap. I can say that the food is great! I ordered a sandwich from the daily specials menu; it was beef brisket with chipotle barbeque sauce on a hoagie bun. Wow! Seriously, it was one of the best sandwiches I've had in awhile. The brisket was tender and seemed to be good quality, and I really liked the slightly spicy barbeque sauce.

The bread was very high quality too. As I'd told the waitress, too many places have really mediocre bread for their sandwiches, but not so today at Short's.

My husband had a 9" pizza and our daughter had the White Pepper sandwich. They said both were very good too.

As other people have commented, it's a bit off-putting to walk into a place and not know how to be seated. There's no hosts or hostesses; customers seat themselves. Our waitress said they might be switching to host/hostess service in the future. She was very pleasant and friendly.

We went on a Sunday night; had no wait to be seated (once we realized we were supposed to seat ourselves), but the place was still pretty full. Pretty loud too, but you could tell that everyone was having a good time hanging out there.

After leaving, we walked down the block a bit and noticed that Short's appears to be expanding to the space next door. That expansion may or may not help with the seating and noise issues, but overall it was a great meal and I wouldn't hesitate to go back!

1 Thank 713aimeem

Michigan
“Excellent Food; Disappointing Beer”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

You'd expect that a highly rated brewpub would place the highest emphasis on its brews, but at Shorts the food is the star. The turkey sandwich with avocado and sprouts (I requested mine on sourdough) was a standout, as was a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. And the gyro, was also very good.

But the beer we tried was disappointing. An ESB lacked the hop intensity or bitterness that its description had led us to expect, and the Bellaire Brown was rather flavorless.

The number of beers produced by this place is staggering, and that may be the source of the problem; they might do better to pare the list way down and improve the quality of what's left. Otherwise, next time I stop in for lunch, I'll have water to drink.

Shorts does a thriving business, and this is reflected in a very high noise level. There's nothing in the place designed to dampen the sound, so conversation is difficult at best.

1 Thank MichiganBanjoMan
Driftwood, Texas
“Love this place!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is our second visit to Shorts, and we were not disappointed. We last visited in October, during the low season, and were warmly greeted by knowledgeable staff, great brews and yummy snacks. When we visited this summer, the place was packed, but the service and food was just as good. I ate a White Pepper sandwich which was out of this world. The Crunchy Grooves beer was not to much to my liking, but I am not a huge beer fan to start with. I go along with my husband for the fun and atmosphere.

1 Thank Nancy W
Manitou Springs, Colorado, United States
“Too Busy”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Yes they have crafted beers but I don't know what all the hype is about. Food is average. I guess its the place to be seen and a lot of people like to be seen. Truly its not worth the wait if you have to wait. Go down the street.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank George-and-Peggy
Lansing, Michigan
“Fun food, brews, and atmosphere.”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped in for a generous sampler and had the perfect snack with it. Service is a little less then friendly, seemed to be annoyed most of the time but never rude. Beers are great, cool vibe and fun stop off on a road trip.