“First B&B stay - Charming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bellaire
Bellaire Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Bellaire B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I had not been to this area of Michigan for over 30 years. Wanted to check out the Traverse City area for a possible move in the next year or two. Found the property online. I wrote in the guest book that the hosts made me feel like family - a "cousin" who was staying for a couple of days. This experience is much better than a regular hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 4 January 2009

Want to get away? There is no where better than Bellaire B&B. The owners are great, and the property is amazing. There is no detail forgotten about. This april (2009) will be the 3rd time my wife and i will have been there. It is so relaxing and romantic. My wife and I also enjoy the restaurants and bars in the downtown area. A short drive from Torch Lake, Traverse City and all points in NW Michigan there is no better place to go to get away. The golf coarses are spectacular as well. I would (and have) recommend this place to all my friends.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank speedracer7801
Reviewed 1 December 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Bellaire B&B Nov. 28-29 for our third anniversary. Jim and Dave greeted us and showed us the property. We settled in then met in the library for wine (Jim is a real wine guru and made some great suggestions that met our tastes) and snacks. We got to know some of the other guests and meet our hosts in front of a roaring fire. We talked about the local eateries and shopping and what we could expect for breakfast the next day. Terrific wine, food and company. Later that evening we ate at Shorts Brew Pub. GREAT beer selections (I had the Hangin Frank, very fruity) and great food (try the pizza, but beware, they are very big). Live music and a great pub atmosphere.

We stayed in the Tuscany room (its worth it just for the bathroom, the tub is terrific). We had flowers waiting for us (you can see them in the pictures) and were able to relax on a the loveseat and watch a little TV and played a few games (which my wife soundly won). We were both tired from the long drive and we were asleep by 11 pm on the huge bed.

The next morning I was up early and went for a jog around the quaint town of Bellaire. Came back and soaked in a warm jacuzzi then made our way down for breakfast at 9 am. French toast souffle, bacon, pealed grapefruit, blended juices, coffee. Served family style, you simply can't go away hungry. The food was incredible and Dave is terrific about sharing his secrets.

We left that afternoon for shopping in Bellaire (I recommend Sassy Sunflower and Uniquely North, but there are a few other neat places on Bridge St) and Alden (I HIGHLY recommend making the trip there just for the Alden Mill House, but like Bellaire, they have a dozen or so shops that are worth the trip).

We came back to the B&B and crashed for a few hours (complete with fresh cookies by the bedside). We got up later and made our way down for wine and cheese at 5 pm. Later we made our way to Lulu's Bistro for dinner. This place is supposedly the premiere restaurant in the area, but our experience was less than stellar. Jim and Dave rave about the place and from what I could tell the food everyone else got was really good. We both had salads (because we had pizza the night before). I had a Caesar ($6) and my wife had a Cobb ($12). Mine was good, albeit small even for a half order. My wife couldn't eat about 60% of hers because the lettuce was brown and spoiled. We kept pulling the brown lettuce out and setting it on a plate for the waitress to take back to the kitchen, but they never really came to check on us. After I was finished the waitress cleared the table and I asked her to take the spoiled lettuce to the chef, hoping they'd at least take it off our bill since we really couldn't eat it. She said they couldn't because we didn't tell them until after the meal (i.e. they didn't have a chance to fix it). How am I supposed to do that when you never check on us?! We did order a dessert (hot fudge sundae) and it was spectacular (their ice cream is home made). Overall our experience was less than satisfactory at Lulu's ($32 for two salads that we couldn't enjoy and a dessert). Shorts has better service and and atmosphere, go there.

Breakfast the next morning was equally impressive (Dave seems to have fun impressing everyone with his creations). Potato and sausage hash, fruit and yogurt, and THE BEST orange cranberry pull apart bread I've ever eaten. Dave wrapped some up for us to take with us.

The B&B is immaculately clean, the rooms are huge (in the carriage house anyway) and very cleverly designed. The owners are fantastic and the food......oh the food!!! Fantastic. We had a wonderful experience and would definitely recommend you stopping by for a visit.
DW

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Absolutely a top notch B&B. Jim and Dave are fabulous hosts-making you feel comfortable the moment you walk in the door. The rooms were beautiful (we stayed in the Brighton Room with a private bath and fireplace) and every need was anticipated. Relaxing atmosphere, beautiful property. Breakfast every morning was delicious and plentiful. The wine and appetizers at 5pm each day was a great time to get to know everyone else that was staying at the B&B and pass on knowledge of the area and what were the must sees and dos for the trip. Great location to walk downtown for dinner, shopping or just to visit the town. Easy drive to Traverse City. Such a wonderful experience that we will definitely return again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2008

They truly are "above and beyond"! David and Jim are such gracious hosts and every little detail is taken into account in order to make you feel right at home! The rooms are elegant yet comfortable, the gardens are beautiful, and the breakfasts are delicious (and filling!) We really enjoyed the extra touches: cookies by the bed, daily wine/appetizer hour, and the wonderful hammocks for our afternoon snooze. We are already looking forward to a return visit....it can't come soon enough!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2008

Bellaire Bed and Breakfast goes above and beyond in every way. It is a perfect place to stay when you are in Northern Michigan. If you have breakfast, you will not need lunch. We visit them at least 3 times a year and are never disappointed. April is the anniversary of their opening and during that month you can stay two nights for the price of one. However, plan to book at least a year in advance for a weekend in April.

Jim and Dave, the hosts and owners, take care of everything you might need and spend time during the evening wine hour to get to know their guests. We always have a relaxing visit.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 13 March 2007

This is by far the best B & B we have stayed in. It's our favorite. The hosts, Jim and Dave, make you feel right at home. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the carriage house rooms are spacious with cable TV, connectivity, and gas fireplaces. Two of the rooms have jacuzzis and another one has a claw foot bathtub. There are extras, like turn down service and fresh made cookies by your bed each evening. There are ski resorts nearby and a first class restaurant, Lulu's, in town along with a microbrewery, Shorts. We come up several times a year to enjoy a weekend with Jim and Dave. You will not be disappointed.

Stayed: March 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellaire
Sleep Inn & Suites Acme - Traverse City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Traverse City
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Traverse City
Sugar Beach Resort Hotel
Sugar Beach Resort Hotel
#12 of 40 in Traverse City
West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort
Shanty Creek Resorts - Summit Village

Been to Bellaire Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!