Americas Best Value Inn- Benton Harbor
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
North Aurora, Illinois
“Creapy”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The place had a Creapy factor to it. Everything was dimly lit and outdated. The restaurant was extra dark for breakfast. The food was very sub-par. It was clean, so that's nice. We ended up wanting to leave early. Cancellation was easy.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here a few years back for the Berrien County Youth Fair...when it was the Howard Johnsons. It was a dive. Horrible. Now it is better, but still could use some work. One bed was okay, the other was very soft...felt very used. Room overall was average. AC worked well. Room and overall appearance/cleanliness could be cleaned up more. Personnel were quite friendly and helpful....a bonus. Reserved online, but wanted to pay cash upon checking in. Not a problem with that at all. Did not try out the pool area but looked better than it did a few years back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim L
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were looking for a good price in a hotel on our way to Chicago. I wasnt sure if our kids were coming so I reserved the room for 1 adult. Exiting the freeway we noticed it was a scary neighborhood. We arrived around 11 pm. When I checked in I was asked if I was alone. When I said my husband and two kids were with me my $75 room became $105. The hotel had a bad smell. Exiting the elevator there was a man hanging out on the third floor with a chicken leg hanging out of his mouth and chicken all over the floor. The door to our room wouldnt even shut all the way. The room was seriously outdated. The pillows were the flatest I have ever seen and mine had blood stains all over it. One of the towels had fresh lipstick smeared all over it. The "nicest" amenity was the bottle opener mounted on the wall next to the toilet. It was very loud all night like a daytona during spring break party atmosphere. After the price increase I could have stayed at a much nicer hotel. Overall very loud and extremely dirty. I wouldnt recommend this place to anybody. Ever.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank jkeybaby
Grafton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Oh my god I don't know where to begin. We read the reviews and was a little nervous but sometimes people can over do it and expect too much but let me tell you we paid 90 bucks and we expected the room to at least be clean.

So to begin when we pulled up it had every sign of being an old Howard Johnson complete with closed up/boarded up restaurant next door.

When we walked in it had a terrible order such as mold/must we checked in at 3am seeing as we were coming from Wisconsin and sue at the front was very kind but I did find it odd that they really do have a 10 minute rule about checking the room out and if you don't like it you have to move within that ten minutes.

We continued to the elevator to go to the 3rd floor where our room was and I was a little concerned because the elevator had a sign that said 3 persons max (didn't say a weight limit) the elevator was a little scary because it felt like it might fall.

We get off the elevator to a floor that smells even worse than the lobby did. Omg I can't even explain it. My fiancé had trouble breathing. So we get inside the room to find out it smells like urine. We figured it wouldn't matter if we changed rooms so we tried to make best.

The tub and shower was so gross we planned on not even taking one. Everything was gross the walls were filthy the wall paper was falling off and there were many questionable stains. The varnish on all the furniture was clearly coming off and not that I care but the tv was gigantic. The air seemed to work but had a very musty smell. I couldn't sleep at all that night I ended up sitting on a chair on the balcony the whole night because I couldn't stand the smell and my fiancé slept on a blanket and pillow we brought from the car (both of those items we ended up just leaving in the room) while I was on the balcony a man from an upper floor bargain to urinate off his balcony and I just couldn't believe it. Literally I think sleeping in a dumpster would have been a better option.

I woke my fiancé up at 6am and we decided to just leave seeing I couldn't sleep. No shower nothing. Our car didn't get broken into so I guess that was a plus. This actually made us go home. We were planning on spending the day and part of the next day in Michigan but it left such a bad feeling we drove the 4 hours home and I really don't see us ever returning.

Omg please spend the extra 50 dollars and enjoy your stay somewhere else because I am still itching with the thought of walking in there.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Cubsguy
RajBentonHarbor, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Benton Harbor, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
We are very sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay. We would like you to know that we have shared all of your comments with are staff and are making the needed improvements so this experience will not be repeated. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments so we can continue to improve our property. Please come back and see us in the future and see the progress we are making. Thank you.
Brownsburg, IN
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This was the last hotel with any vacancies in the St.Joe/Benton Harbor area. We were travelling without reservations (our normal style) and were at the mercy of room availability. Just before we got to Benton Harbor, we booked our reservation on Priceline.com. The booking was for a room with 2 King beds. (we were travelling with 2 children). When we arrived, we were told it really wasn't a room with 2 King beds. We were going to have 1 King bed and a sofa that would pull-out into a full bed. (Certainly not big enough for a teenager and a 9 year old). We were disappointed but it was late, we were tired and there were no other rooms available. When we got to the room, there was only a single King bed....no pull out sofa. I went to the front desk to complain, and was told they had actually booked us in to 2 separate rooms to accomodate our need for 2 beds. The other room was on the same floor, but at the opposite end of the hall. Not what we expected, but we made due. The room was pretty comfortable. The bed was good and the shower was good. Everything was clean (to my modest standards) but the hotel did have a smell to it. I think it was the old carpet that smelled.
I'm in the dining room typing this at this moment and there is a HUGE argument going on between several guests, the hotel management and the restaurant. Apparently the guests read comments on the hotels website that indicated a free breakfast. Well the breakfast here isn't free. The cost is $7.99. It's kind of easy to mistake it for a free breakfast, but a seasoned traveller should have noticed that it is not a typical "continental" breakfast. The family has already eaten, and they're refusing to pay for their breakfast.
The hotel is easy access from the local interstate. Nothing too look at...nothing to see around here. Just a convenient location and only a few minutes from Lake Michigan and Silver Beach. We paid $115 for the night which is way more than the hotel is worth, but it IS the height of the vacation/holiday season here and I'm not surprised it's overpriced. It's still cheaper than most of the other hotels in the area.
If you're looking for luxury accomodations....this place isn't it.
If you just need a place to get some sleep....it'll probably work.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments for other travelers and we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will come back and see us again in the future.
Dearborn, Michigan USA
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Easy freeway access. Rooms have usable balconies. Friendly staff, albeit not fully seasoned. Nice pool and spa. Hotel is dated and showing its age but adequate. Since there is no neighborhood to speak of, I'm confused about safety concerns mentioned in oth er reviews. Would stay again for the price.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank TheLud
We appreciate you kind comments and glad to hear you were happy with your stay. We are aware that our property is dated and we are happy to say that we are currently going through a renovation to update our rooms. We hope you will stay with us again to see the improvements we are making.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benton Harbor
Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph
Comfort Suites Benton Harbor
Comfort Suites Benton Harbor
#6 of 11 in Benton Harbor

Been to Americas Best Value Inn- Benton Harbor? Share your experiences!