All reviews wifi is free a ground floor room mini fridge shirley mcdonalds louis st expressway linens
Reviewed 8 July 2011

As a last minute getaway for my family, we decided to go to Silver Beach. With it being a holiday weekend, there weren't a whole lot of hotels left unless you wanted to pay $175 or more per night. I read reviews and most were saying it wasen't a fancy place, kinda old, but basically ok if you were needing a place just to crash. We had drove about 7 hours with small children. Check in was a breeze. We had a top floor room and lugged all of our belongings to the room. The room reeked of dampness and cigarette smoke. I thought about complaining, but had decided not to...maybe it would wear off. The kids started unpacking and the smell was still as strong as ever! I went down to the office and was told that yes, that room does have an oder. We packed back up and moved to another room. This one was slightly better. Unpacking began again. This time, the toilet didn't flush!! Ugh! We were then moved to a lower level room which was much better. Aggrevated that we had to move to three rooms, haul luggage all over, with kids! The beds were full size and uncomfortable. Bathrooms are so small that you can't hardly turn around in them! We had ONE towel and had to go ask for more. ONE TOWEL! C'mon!
Also, FYI, if you are going to stay here and go to Silver Beach, DO NOT go through Benton Harbor! Very, Very scary! There are boarded up houses and businesses..ghetto. I didn't read about Benton Harbor until this stay...wish I would have!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
MrBlock, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Benton Harbor St. Joseph, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

It is disappointing to learn that we fell short of our goals in this instance and please note this is not the norm. I appreciate any guest taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your concerns. However, I can assure you that corrective measures have been taken. It is my intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future. Please know that I value our guest and appreciate your business.

Reviewed 19 May 2011

I agree with another reviewer which said the outside doesn't look the best, but the inside of the room was fine. Loved the bright color of the shades and bed covers. The check in and check out staff was great.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2010

- Clean room with good service (towels, emptying garbage)
- Had a small fridge and microwave on request
- Excellent restaurants in the area -- some even walking distance.
- Nothing fancy, but a clean room. We didn't spend too much time in the room, since we were trying to enjoy the blueberry festival in South Haven, MI.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank priyasamin
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed here after the Champions for Change Golf Event. Location is great (by 1-94) and Orchards Mall. However, check-in took almost 15 minutes so we lost valuable time. Also, I was confused when I made the reservation and somehow booked us into an ADA room. The worst part was that it used to be a smoking room and we didn't notice until after the air had been on awhile. BUMMER! There was no hair dryer (what is that in this day and age) The shampoo was in the foil packet and towels were at a minimum. Only coffee. We paid 58.00 plus and they were advertising 29.95. I know that we did not want to spnd over $100 (resort area so prices are high) but this really soured us on this place.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Since 2008, I stay monthly at this location to visit an ill family member in a facility near-by the motel. The day and early evening staff are very accomodating to my changing schedules of arrival and departure dates and to my room type requests. I like the complimentary newspaper and coffee in the lobby and the ideal location to other shops in the area . The manager, Derek Block, is one of the kindest, customer-friendly hotel manager I have worked with in a long time.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo