Well, there are pros & cons to this place. In the first place, it's not a hotel, it's a motel: you drive right up to your room and park outside your door.
Pros: The desk clerk was friendly, if not downright flirtatious, but perhaps he was just trying to make conversation (or get a date). The room was very clean, and the bed neatly made up. The grounds are also very clean. The mattress (the part that I slept on) was very firm and comfortable.
Well, that's about it for the pros.
Cons: The parking lot is in horrid condition: deep, staggering potholes everywhere and cracked, badly scarred paving throughout. The building has seen better days...maybe it looked good thirty years ago (and only thirty years ago). The office is extremely difficult to find; it's not marked, and I had to walk around the entire building before I found it. The towels were not the best quality: rough & scratchy (I usually bring my own, which really helped on this trip). The mattress had NOT BEEN TURNED (a big pet peeve). The side nearest the nightstand was very depressed; I had to sleep on the other side of the bed.The air-conditioner decided to fall apart during the night, and stopped working completely. It then proceeded to leak water all over the carpet; I had a huge puddle under it the next morning when I awakened. When I brought this to the attention of the checkout clerk, she really didn't seem to car. Well, it's been a hot summer, she said. Well, guess what honey, that's not my problem...but apparently maintenance didn't seem to be her problem, either.
The BIGGEST CON OF ALL is the price they charged me for the room: $86.00 USD. Bloody unbelievable, and completely outrageous. They should be charging $26.00 USD and be grateful. This place is OVERPRICED AND NOT WORTH THE BOTHER.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Red Roof Benton Harbor/Saint Joseph, about 30 minutes from both Kalamazoo and South Bend. Red Roof Benton Harbor/Saint Joseph is conveniently located on Interstate 94 on the Historic Michigan Wine Trail. Red Roof Benton Harbor/Saint Joseph is located near Silver Beach County Park, the Berrien County Fairgrounds, Warren Dunes State Park, Indiana Dunes State Park, Washington Park and Red Bud Motor Cross trail as well as several corporate headquarters, including Whirlpool, Bosch and Leco, in addition to nuclear plants Cook and Palisades. We’re close to several colleges; Notre Dame University, Lake Michigan College, Western Michigan University SW Campus, Andrews University, Southwest Michigan College. Enjoy shopping? Check out Orchards Mall, Kohl’s, Target, Wal-Mart, Meijer’s, Best Buy all within 1 mile of the hotel or go to downtown Saint Joseph and visit the many shops and boutiques- it’s only 5 miles away. Come stay with us if you’re going to a show or an event at the Mendel Center we’re just 5 minutes away and we’re also not too far from Southwest Michigan Regional Airport, Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport or Michiana (South Bend) Regional Airport. Numerous restaurants are near the hotel: Applebee’s, Texas Coral, IHOP, Bob Evan’s along with several local favorites: El Rodeo (Mexican), Sophia’s House of Pancakes and China Buffet. If you’re looking for the quick drive thru: There’s a McDonalds, Burger King, Steak n Shake, Wendy’s, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell and KFC within a mile and many pizza places to choose from. The hotel offers free parking for semis and busses and Red Roof always welcomes well behaved pets at no charge. Wireless internet is complimentary in all guest rooms. Wheelchair and ADA rooms are available. The friendly and knowledgeable staff knows how to make guests feel confident, significant, and delighted.This 100% Non-Smoking Red Roof Inn offers not only free Wi-Fi and a flat screen TV in all guestrooms but all long distance calls are complimentary anywhere in the continental US. We offer both a Deluxe Double that includes a microwave/microfridge unit and a Superior King room which offers a large workstation with ergonomic chair and special task lighting as well as microwave/microfridge units and in room coffee makers - a nominal fee may apply for both; please inquire. Free coffee and tea available in the lobby 24/7. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Red Roof Inn, Expedia, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Red Roof Inn Benton Harbor St. Joseph reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Benton Harbor Red Roof Inn
- Red Roof Inn Benton Harbor