Red Roof Inn Benton Harbor St. Joseph
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Well, there are pros & cons to this place. In the first place, it's not a hotel, it's a motel: you drive right up to your room and park outside your door.
Pros: The desk clerk was friendly, if not downright flirtatious, but perhaps he was just trying to make conversation (or get a date). The room was very clean, and the bed neatly made up. The grounds are also very clean. The mattress (the part that I slept on) was very firm and comfortable.
Well, that's about it for the pros.
Cons: The parking lot is in horrid condition: deep, staggering potholes everywhere and cracked, badly scarred paving throughout. The building has seen better days...maybe it looked good thirty years ago (and only thirty years ago). The office is extremely difficult to find; it's not marked, and I had to walk around the entire building before I found it. The towels were not the best quality: rough & scratchy (I usually bring my own, which really helped on this trip). The mattress had NOT BEEN TURNED (a big pet peeve). The side nearest the nightstand was very depressed; I had to sleep on the other side of the bed.The air-conditioner decided to fall apart during the night, and stopped working completely. It then proceeded to leak water all over the carpet; I had a huge puddle under it the next morning when I awakened. When I brought this to the attention of the checkout clerk, she really didn't seem to car. Well, it's been a hot summer, she said. Well, guess what honey, that's not my problem...but apparently maintenance didn't seem to be her problem, either.
The BIGGEST CON OF ALL is the price they charged me for the room: $86.00 USD. Bloody unbelievable, and completely outrageous. They should be charging $26.00 USD and be grateful. This place is OVERPRICED AND NOT WORTH THE BOTHER.

Room Tip: Air-conditioners break down often. The towels are rough. Mattresses are not turned.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
MrBlock, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Benton Harbor St. Joseph, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Corrective measures have been taken to repair the a/c and the parking lot issues. As for our rate, I can assure you that if you do a price comparison for the area you'll find we are very fairly priced for the market. Please know that I value you as our guest and appreciate your business.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

Hotel was clean and is located right off of Rt 31 and I 94. Our room faced the interstate, so it was a little loud but no big deal. Lots of fast food, resturants, and shopping nearby. It's about 15-20 minute drive to the beach areas.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your business and glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

Easy to make reservations online . . . and help when to cancel one when I hit the button one too many times. Provided good directions to the place over the phone when we got to town at night. Received a nice welcome and was told about 24-hr coffee and given clear directions to room. Parked right in front of room, so easy handling of luggage. Room was clean. We had a king bed, frig, and coffee pot. Missed a hair dryer, though. Had A/C, which was necessary for the time we were there. Was still a bit noisy being close to the highway, but that didn't affect a good night's sleep. Left early and checked out. Forgot my pillows about 2 hrs from motel and called them to see if they could ship them to our home. They were very polite and did so without any hesitation. Pillows arrived COD and they only asked for a review, which we are more than happy to give a great recommendation.

Room Tip: Lots of restaurants near by.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

I'm happy to hear everything went well with your stay and you received your pillows.

Thank you, we appreciate your business..

Reviewed 8 July 2011

As a last minute getaway for my family, we decided to go to Silver Beach. With it being a holiday weekend, there weren't a whole lot of hotels left unless you wanted to pay $175 or more per night. I read reviews and most were saying it wasen't a fancy place, kinda old, but basically ok if you were needing a place just to crash. We had drove about 7 hours with small children. Check in was a breeze. We had a top floor room and lugged all of our belongings to the room. The room reeked of dampness and cigarette smoke. I thought about complaining, but had decided not to...maybe it would wear off. The kids started unpacking and the smell was still as strong as ever! I went down to the office and was told that yes, that room does have an oder. We packed back up and moved to another room. This one was slightly better. Unpacking began again. This time, the toilet didn't flush!! Ugh! We were then moved to a lower level room which was much better. Aggrevated that we had to move to three rooms, haul luggage all over, with kids! The beds were full size and uncomfortable. Bathrooms are so small that you can't hardly turn around in them! We had ONE towel and had to go ask for more. ONE TOWEL! C'mon!
Also, FYI, if you are going to stay here and go to Silver Beach, DO NOT go through Benton Harbor! Very, Very scary! There are boarded up houses and businesses..ghetto. I didn't read about Benton Harbor until this stay...wish I would have!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
MrBlock, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Benton Harbor St. Joseph, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

It is disappointing to learn that we fell short of our goals in this instance and please note this is not the norm. I appreciate any guest taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your concerns. However, I can assure you that corrective measures have been taken. It is my intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future. Please know that I value our guest and appreciate your business.

Reviewed 19 May 2011

I agree with another reviewer which said the outside doesn't look the best, but the inside of the room was fine. Loved the bright color of the shades and bed covers. The check in and check out staff was great.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2010

- Clean room with good service (towels, emptying garbage)
- Had a small fridge and microwave on request
- Excellent restaurants in the area -- some even walking distance.
- Nothing fancy, but a clean room. We didn't spend too much time in the room, since we were trying to enjoy the blueberry festival in South Haven, MI.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank priyasamin
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed here after the Champions for Change Golf Event. Location is great (by 1-94) and Orchards Mall. However, check-in took almost 15 minutes so we lost valuable time. Also, I was confused when I made the reservation and somehow booked us into an ADA room. The worst part was that it used to be a smoking room and we didn't notice until after the air had been on awhile. BUMMER! There was no hair dryer (what is that in this day and age) The shampoo was in the foil packet and towels were at a minimum. Only coffee. We paid 58.00 plus and they were advertising 29.95. I know that we did not want to spnd over $100 (resort area so prices are high) but this really soured us on this place.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
Comfort Suites Benton Harbor
Comfort Suites Benton Harbor
#6 of 11 in Benton Harbor

Been to Red Roof Inn Benton Harbor St. Joseph? Share your experiences!