“This used to be a decent place to stay”

Motel 6 Benton Harbor
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I've stayed at this hotel each summer for about the last 12-15 years. I come up to go to the beach, so amenities aren't a priority. Hey, it's a Motel 6 -- not the Ritz!

Over the last couple years, I've seen a decline in the hotel. When a hotel offers permanent rooms for guests, I have a concern. These folks are LIVING at the hotel. And one of those rooms had the door open one night. It looked like something from the TV show, Hoarders.

I've always liked this hotel because we go to pick fruit and then go to the beach. It is easy for us to get our coolers in and out of the room.

These rooms have always been clean. But this time around, there were cigarette holes in the bedspread and the sheet.

Sorry to leave such a bad review...like I said, this used to be a decent place to stay

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed there one night a few weeks ago. Staff very friendly. Didn't encounter any of the rough characters described in previous posts. No unusual noise. Room was clean, but very spartan. No carpeting (vinyl flooring), no wall decoration, very plain desk & furniture. Room was clean enough, linens adequate.Pretty basic & bare-bones. WiFi worked fine. Fridge & microwave available for xtra $5; I passed.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 31 October 2011

stayed here this summer for a triathlon and it was a really sad experience. first off, this hotel is very run down. roof is flaking off, pool is scary, debris all around and alot of people live at this hotel. in fact, we stayed in a room for two nights and realized the people that were next to us (that lingered outside the entire night) had been living in two rooms (and gave up one room for the weekend) for the past few months. sad sad sad.

The staff and owner were nice... no one was rude but the hotel itself was just so rundown there was no way we would ever go back. although i could tell there was an attempt to clean the room (by the cheap chemicals), it still felt very dirty. the linens were like papertowels and the towels were like brillo pads.

i am not normally one to be so critical but this hotel is so long gone, i don't think it will ever get to an acceptable standard.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank nickiwms
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Stayed here several times. ONCE I got a cold shower. ONCE I found soap bars in my shower from the previous guest (took a pic on my iphone and showed it to the manger who said he'd "talk" with the room service about it). ONCE my TV did not work. ONCE my toilet overflowed (the manager himself came to fix it AFTER i phoned the front desk 3 times and then found the manager outside chatting on his cell phone to a friend. He moped up the toilet water with no soap or anything and told me i'd be okay. when I insisted on getting a refund he finally gave me a different room. I wonder if someone else got that room that night. I reported it to Motel 6 corporate office and got a blah blah email response).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2010

We checked in at this location back in spring of 2010 and did not stay as the rooms where in very poor condition. Would not recomend this location to anybody.
Maybe they have cleaned up the place since then but I will not bother stopping to find out

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2010

It's that bad. Seriously. I'm not opposed to dirt. I camp, I hike, I fish, etc. Dirt...doesn't bother me.

Holes in sheets, grease on the walls (like...black grease), cigarette burns in the sheets, the shower curtain, the sink, the tub, the floors, a vaguely garbage-dump-ish smell, permanent residents with grills, patio sets, and pitbulls, abandoned cars, prostitutes, and drug dealers do.

I'm no prude, I like in an up-and-coming area of Chicago (read: borders the ghetto), but this was utterly unacceptable for national chain motel. I fully intend to make certain Accor Hotels sends an inspector there, and if possible, I will be present when they do so.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jon M
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I've stayed in other Motel 6s before but it's been a while. I wish I would've read the reviews here BEFORE we made our reservation at this one!

When we first arrived, we noticed that the place was looking pretty run-down. Our "non-smoking" room reeked of cigarette smoke. The receptionist gave us the $3 wifi code for free but the wifi didn't work at all while we were there. If that were all we experienced I would not be bothering to write this review...

After we came back from dinner, we opened the door and turned on the lights only to see a few roaches scurrying away into the walls. At first we thought maybe we'd leave the lights on all night and they won't come back out. But soon more roaches appeared, crawling around the stands on either side of the bed, onto the headboard and towards our stuff. Disgusting! My husband started calling all the hotels listed in the phone book but none had vacancies. Finally we decided we'd rather sleep in the car than here if it came to that and packed up our stuff.

The front desk offered us another room in a different building so we went to check it out. There were no roaches so we decided to stay. After moving all our stuff into that room we discovered that the A/C didn't work - this on a day when it had been over 90 degrees earlier. There was a lot of hair all over the bathroom floor and the bathtub was dirty. The smoke detector had been ripped out of the wall. But by now it was after 11pm and we were exhausted so we slept in our clothes on top of the bed, not wanting to touch anything in the room more than necessary. But with the heat and stress, neither of us got much sleep.

Don't stay here! If I could've given it zero stars I would have.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple