“This is a transient motel - seriously stay away!”

Motel 6 Benton Harbor
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Reviewed 3 September 2013

BY FAR the most disgusting, completely nerve wracking stay in any hotel ever. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL! It is a transient hotel. Listen to the reviews that you read about this hotel and please review the actual pictures that I have taken to show the hotel state. These pictures were taken of room #422 that my husband and I were in. After talking to Motel 6 client relations and filing a report (report #1030844), Motel 6 is going to look into the situation, as this Motel 6 is privately owned - which many are now. It was a business trip and unfortunately we wanted to leave and receive a refund, but every other hotel in the area was booked and we were trapped. It was either sleep in this disgusting hole or sleep in our car. We were just glad to wake up alive. My husband was harassed/asked twice by the same "guest"/transient if he could "bum them a cigarette" when going to get ice and he wasn't even smoking. There is suspicious loitering and most likely a fair amount of domestic disturbances and drug involvement going on as the police are acquainted very well with coming there to deal with situations. We had to call the police because our neighbor (a transient living in the hotel) had the bass blaring at 1:00 am and the front desk girl was obviously too scared to do anything about it. When talking to the police, they were very familiar with the hotel and said they would take care of it, and they did. They arrived on the spot a mere 10 minutes after our phoning them. The only reason we rested easy after calling the police was the luck of having another seeming normal motel guest on the other side of the room, so we knew that we couldn't get fingered as the reporting party. There are grills outside of the doors, chairs for late night relaxing/loitering with friends, Meijer grocery carts for them to use to easily walk to the local Meijer and bring their groceries back home. We witnessed a total of 4 grocery carts right out in the open (see pictures). The Meijer is walking distance from the Motel. What more can I say except if you stay there, expect what we had which was a completely UNCLEAN room that probably hasn't seen a cleaning in a decade. And, why would the rooms not be clean you ask?, because unless you ask for your room to be cleaned, they will not enter the rooms because of too many false theft claims by hotel "guests"/transients - not surprising. There was no operational fire alarm - we found it broken off and behind the TV (see pictures), so if there was a fire that one of the drunken, drugged up transients should easily happen to cause, you might find yourself waking up in a room full of smoke and find the room next to you going up in flames. I had to clean the toilet just to use it, as it was covered with fecal matter (see pictures). There was not a single square foot of the room that didn't have a crack, a stain, cigarette burn, dirt, or mold. This Motel is a turd upon society. And, when you think it doesn't get worse, you walk out of your room in the morning to find pink/red puke on the pavement...this is one Motel 6 that you don't want them to leave the light on for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
10  Thank xtine312

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I cannot echo the comments below passionately enough. What a nightmare! I was out for a half marathon and figured a moderate hotel with a bed and a hot shower was all we'd need.
As we drive around to our room, we realized that there are alot of people that stay there long term, and have trashed the place. There were packs of kids screaming and running around and swearing at eachother until 11 at night right outside our door. There was a rotweiler tied up to a post outside of our neighbors door barking all night. basically, no sleep for the weary.
The room itself was disgusting, with the flickering lights barely working and one paper thin pillow. I'm post-college, I'm not picking about cheap hotel rooms at all, and I'm ready to burn my suitcase after this stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank DawnMare
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Benton Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Dear DawnMare - Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced as a result of the unwelcoming environment you encountered upon arrival, as well as the disturbances you experienced and the conditions you found in your room. The issues you experienced are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Read the reviews below very carefully they are all true. I checked in for two nights and didn't get room service so we had no toilet paper for one night and no towels. The place on the outside looks ok but the room itself smelled horrible like cigarettes. The walls are paper-thin we were able to hear EVERYTHING even if someone was walking right outside the room. Bring your towels (we were online given 2), sheets (ours had holes from cigarettes) The A/C worked but was soooo loud. Definitely not worth staying, and would pay more next time and NOT stay here EVER AGAIN

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank liza1228
Reviewed 25 May 2013

All was well til I walked into the room itself--I looked around and noticed that the room itself was pretty run down... I shook it off! I pulled the bed down and there were holes in the sheets, you could see through them, the pillows were flat like paper, and there were hairs in the sheets. I went to the office and asked for clean sheets ((I work at a hotel so changing sheets wouldn't be an issue)) I was informed that they didn't have any and that I would have to switch rooms. I paid for a fridge. I got to the new room and there was no fridge in there... by this time it was getting late so I figured that I would talk to the clerk at the front desk in the morning and get the extra charge off my credit card. I pulled down the bed and yet again there was more hair! I shook it off.... by this time I figured that I would move rooms and there'd be more hair! Its safe to assume that there is hair in every bed at this property! Morning rolls around and I go to the office and the gentleman working at the desk pretty much shooed me away saying they would send me something in the mail. I know I will NEVER receive anything in the mail and if I did I would not ever go back! He refused to remove the fee for the fridge I did not get and was very unsympathetic about how horrible a paying customers stay was. HORRIBLE. I work front desk so this was absolutely unacceptable. A call to corporate is in order. Don't go there.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs.
Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Mandiful2007
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We pulled into Benton Harbor @ 2:30 am to get a few hours of sleep and continue onto Detroit. We booked a room. Arriving at our room, we found the room felt like 120 degrees. We had to open the door and window to cool the room off. We found pubic hair on the toliet and black hair in the bed sheets. The pillows were flat as pancakes. And there were no blankets on the bed.(When I turned on the A/C to cool off the room) We sweated our way to sleep, then we were awoken @ 4:30am when the room next door started to bang their doors and loud screaming. They were checking out. Trying to get back to sleep, there was pounding and loud noises coming from the room next door at 6:30am. I called the office to complain. They said they would give them a call. The noise continued until we left the motel at 7:30am. I think this motel is rented by the hour for special services. I will not ever stay at a Motel 6 ever again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank yatiddles
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews, I was a little skeptical. We did pull into a well lit parking lot (which is very important when towing a trailer!) The service was very good, we were offered wifi, but passed for such a short stay. The room was clean & fairly updated. The blanket was a litttle thin & the bed was on wheels which was somewhat of a nuisance, but who cares? The restroom was clean & functional, the heater took awhile to heat the room, by it was -3 degrees & expected. This is not at all a dangerous area, nor were there any run-ins with the "creepy folks" mentioned in previous reviews. The owner who heckled us out was also polite and asks how our stay was. This is exactly what one would expect for a fair, inexpensive room.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I stopped in at 4am, Friday morning and just wanted to catch a few hours sleep and a shower before driving the last 2 hours of my journey. The clerk was nasty and hateful. The sign by the highway said $35.99 but she wanted to charge me $51. She said since it was 4am, it counted as the weekend rate, which isn't right, it still should have been a weekday rate. She was very rude and hateful!

Room Tip: Don't expect any extra convenience.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
Holiday Inn Express Benton Harbor

Been to Motel 6 Benton Harbor? Share your experiences!