“Falling to pieces”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Columbus, OH
“Falling to pieces”
Reviewed 21 August 2009

This place was booked by another family member - by the time we arrived in town, nothing else was available nearby that a couple of the others could afford. Yet this place was still 75% empty - and several of the other occupants appeared to be transients living large for a few nights. I'm no shrinking violet, but several of them gave me a certified case of the creeps. This, the fact that the rooms on the back side of the property are very isolated, and the fact that Benton Harbors isn't exactly Eden in the first place should be a security concern for single travelers

There was a lot of freeway noise - the property backs right onto I-94.

The sheets were clean, and the mattress was OK. Other than that, it appears the current owners are just milking what they can from the property before shutting down and bulldozing the place. The pool is closed. The parking lot is reverting to gravel. Landscaping hasn't been touched in months, Carpets in all three of the rooms we saw were worn and dirty. Chairs and tables were stained, and there were cigarette burns on most of the furniture.

Worst of all, our "non-smoking room" was equipped with ashtrays, and absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke.

I can't knock it completely - it's better than sleeping in your car in a rest area If you just need a place to crash for a few hours,

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank CatFoodFlambe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
hamilton
Reviewed 16 June 2009

This motel was to be the last night on a two week across America trip. Arrived around 9:00pm we checked in then went out for dinner, upon returning to room around 10:30pm wife noticed what appeared to be a women on drugs knocking on doors, later there was another women sitting on the ground outside our room crying and some dude yelling at her. The room on one side had the tv blaring and the room next door sounded like some guy was beating some women to death it was at this point around 11:30 I packed up and went to the front desk (as an indicator at night access is one of those security plexi glass pass throughs) On my trip from my room to the front desk we passed a room full of guys partying and spilling out into the parking lot and a car load more of guys in a loud car(big bass boom) coming into the lot, This was a Monday night not a weekend situation. Manager offered me another room six doors down from the party room I declined and got a refund, Please do not go to this motel as it seems to be a hot spot for drugs and prostitution.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank roadhammer45
OR
Reviewed 12 May 2009

The manager of this Motel 6 has elected to use fitted bedsheets so inexpensive that they do not actually fit the bed. I awoke with my face touching the mattress surface. Not a sanitary situation. Although the $29.99 rate is compelling, it is worth going to the local Rodeway Inn and paying $39.99. I stay in an awful lot of Motel 6's across the USA and this one is simply sub-standard. Hopefully, the Accor Corporation will share this review with the manager. In short, don't stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank autoharper
Indiana
Reviewed 27 January 2009

They put me in a room where there was an obvious drug bust. do not stay here!! there was a huge hole in the box spring, stains on the sheets and holes in the walls. the manager is the worst and he didnt even give me my money back. He wanted to reimburst me with a gift card for the same exact motel again....funny. He decided to return half of my money and only after learning that he did not know how to operate the credit card machine.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the bed
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank laalaar
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 October 2007

We stayed here on our way through the US. We've seen many motels in the last few weeks. This one we chose, because it was getting dark and it looked ok.

Check-In was fast and quite nice. A few shops and restaurants are nearby. So it supposed to be quite safe...that's what we thought.

Well, the rooms are pretty basic, but clean enough for a night. Comes with TV...of course.

It seemed ok, we went eat and came back not too late, around 9pm.
When we came back, there were two police cars in front of the motel...First I thought: Better there is police than there isn't. We didn't think too much and went to our room.
But in the middle of the night there were screams outside and somebody shouting "I call the Police!" That didn't make us feel safe already.
Shortly later some more yelling and somebody banging hard on our door! Great! After that it was pretty quiet...lucky I was very tired so I managed to get some sleep anyway.

But on our whole trip this was in the end the scariest Motel situation we got. The motel didn't seem to be scary, but it looks like the area is kind of weird....we would definetly NOT stay here or even in this area again!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bandit-One
Minnesota
Reviewed 19 May 2007

Way too expensive for such a basic room. Spend 5-10 bucks more and get a cleaner, newer room that actually has an alarm clock, shampoo, and looks like it was cleaned recently. Cheap decor, abused furniture, etc. I could understand it all if not a national chain w/catchy commercials and if price was half as much. Plenty of motels/hotels before and after on interstate.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hzhy
Keene, TX
Reviewed 10 May 2007

I'm trying to decide on the worst motel experience of my life, and I can't decide between this motel and an Indian-operated motel in Demopolis, Alabama. At the motel in Alabama, I had trouble sleeping because I kept feeling like I wasn't alone. When I got up in the morning, I found mouse droppings under the covers. At the Motel 6 in Benton Harbor, MI, I found a used condom on the floor, and they wouldn't give me a refund. Which was worse? You decide.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The used condom on the floor
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
Comfort Suites Benton Harbor
Comfort Suites Benton Harbor
#5 of 11 in Benton Harbor
Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph

Been to Motel 6 Benton Harbor? Share your experiences!