“Same Place. Same Service. I'm A Fool”

Motel 6 Benton Harbor
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Adrian, Michigan
“Same Place. Same Service. I'm A Fool”
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Stayed here several times. ONCE I got a cold shower. ONCE I found soap bars in my shower from the previous guest (took a pic on my iphone and showed it to the manger who said he'd "talk" with the room service about it). ONCE my TV did not work. ONCE my toilet overflowed (the manager himself came to fix it AFTER i phoned the front desk 3 times and then found the manager outside chatting on his cell phone to a friend. He moped up the toilet water with no soap or anything and told me i'd be okay. when I insisted on getting a refund he finally gave me a different room. I wonder if someone else got that room that night. I reported it to Motel 6 corporate office and got a blah blah email response).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Norfolk
Reviewed 17 December 2010

We checked in at this location back in spring of 2010 and did not stay as the rooms where in very poor condition. Would not recomend this location to anybody.
Maybe they have cleaned up the place since then but I will not bother stopping to find out

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Benton Harbor hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 September 2010

It's that bad. Seriously. I'm not opposed to dirt. I camp, I hike, I fish, etc. Dirt...doesn't bother me.

Holes in sheets, grease on the walls (like...black grease), cigarette burns in the sheets, the shower curtain, the sink, the tub, the floors, a vaguely garbage-dump-ish smell, permanent residents with grills, patio sets, and pitbulls, abandoned cars, prostitutes, and drug dealers do.

I'm no prude, I like in an up-and-coming area of Chicago (read: borders the ghetto), but this was utterly unacceptable for national chain motel. I fully intend to make certain Accor Hotels sends an inspector there, and if possible, I will be present when they do so.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jon M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I've stayed in other Motel 6s before but it's been a while. I wish I would've read the reviews here BEFORE we made our reservation at this one!

When we first arrived, we noticed that the place was looking pretty run-down. Our "non-smoking" room reeked of cigarette smoke. The receptionist gave us the $3 wifi code for free but the wifi didn't work at all while we were there. If that were all we experienced I would not be bothering to write this review...

After we came back from dinner, we opened the door and turned on the lights only to see a few roaches scurrying away into the walls. At first we thought maybe we'd leave the lights on all night and they won't come back out. But soon more roaches appeared, crawling around the stands on either side of the bed, onto the headboard and towards our stuff. Disgusting! My husband started calling all the hotels listed in the phone book but none had vacancies. Finally we decided we'd rather sleep in the car than here if it came to that and packed up our stuff.

The front desk offered us another room in a different building so we went to check it out. There were no roaches so we decided to stay. After moving all our stuff into that room we discovered that the A/C didn't work - this on a day when it had been over 90 degrees earlier. There was a lot of hair all over the bathroom floor and the bathtub was dirty. The smoke detector had been ripped out of the wall. But by now it was after 11pm and we were exhausted so we slept in our clothes on top of the bed, not wanting to touch anything in the room more than necessary. But with the heat and stress, neither of us got much sleep.

Don't stay here! If I could've given it zero stars I would have.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank einahpats
Kaatsheuvel, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We are from the Netherlands and stayed here for 1 night during our vacation in the USA. It was 8 pm, we were tired and i found the adress in the motel 6 brochure. The pool was empty but the motel looked ok and we very tired, so we checked in.
The room was a little bit dirty, there was little hole in the wall but for 1 night it was ok for us at that moment. But then there happened some worse things at the night.

In the middle of the night i waked up because there was screaming and yelling on the street, after that there were 2 women walking several times for our door, later i think the were some prostitues.
Then there was a hard bonking noise next to our room and on the roof.
It was very scary, we couldn't sleep for 1 hour. First i thought some people had hard sex in the room next to us but then it seems to be a drugs machine or something?
Later, we heard the man next to us driving away in the middle of the night.
Half an hour later, there was knocking on all te doors, we didn't want to open it but then we hear: "POLICE, OPEN THE DOOR" My boyfriend open the door, it was a police agent and he had a photo and asked if we see the black, fat guy on the foto. They were looking for him. No, we didn't see him but we heard some really bad noise next to us.

After that, me and my boyfriend were so afraid and packed our backs at 5 am, run to the car with our stuff, locked the car from inside en drive to the reception.
Outside i saw a line for a motelroom, like there was drugs selling and at the reception there was a scary man who looked at me, so i locked the doors of the car while my boyfriend give the key back. He was scared to say something about the worse night, because of the scary man so we drive quikly away and never come back!!

This was a horror motel!! Don't stay here, it's dangerous.
Sorry for my bad english but i want to warn everybody!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
19 Thank suus1983
Phoenix
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Just returned from a business trip through Michigan and parked it here at the Motel 6 on Pipestone Road because it was late an raining so hard. Checked in late, the room was dirty, filthy. The door looked like it had been kicked in several times, this should have been a warning.

At about 2 in the morning the hotel room phone rang, there was silence then breathing on the other end so i hung up. A few minutes later, phone rings again this time it's a disguised mans voice offering to come down and do certain sexual things to me. I was taken back, now wide awake and ready to leave. I jumped up, packed my stuff about ready to go out he door but then realized that it could have been a setup to draw me out. I stayed awake terrified the rest of the night until morning. The call came from the front desk or other room, there is not direct numbers.

When I told the front desk they said that has never happened before i can offer you a discount next time you stay here. I said stay here! are you serious! I got threatened by someone else in the hotel, didn't sleep, the hotel is dirty, the towels are filthy and i am from out of town. They offered no recourse, not even a sorry you had a bad experience.

As i drove off the other people staying there looked like they lived there, or used the rooms by the hour..... Moral to the story. No matter how tired you are, how bad it's raining, look for the signs and find another hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank Travelallthetime02
Benton Harbor
Reviewed 4 December 2009

I have stayed at this hotel on about 4 different occassions between october and november 2009. The non- smoking rooms stink like smoke, there is allways some thing that doesnt work in the room like the heat or t.v. remote, and i swear they have the same bed covers, linens, and curtains they had in 1996. The last time i stayed at motel 6 I purchased fast food and brought it back to my room as soon as i set my bag down i heard a rumbling sound and a mouse came running out of it, after i screamed. The mouse continued to come out from under the bed looking for more food so I complained to the clerk. The clerk gave me a new room but it had mice in it too.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Econo Lodge in Saint Joseph
Econo Lodge in Saint Joseph
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Best Western Benton Harbor - St. Joseph

Been to Motel 6 Benton Harbor? Share your experiences!