“I was pleasantly surprised, it's fairly new, comfortable, and very clean”

Comfort Suites Benton Harbor
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I was in town for business and stayed here for one night. The hotel was very easy to get to, it is just off I-94. It is fairly secluded from the other hotels, stores and restaurants that are on the other side of I-94. Some people may not like this since it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere when arriving at night. At the same time, it is far away from any of the bad areas of Benton Harbor. At no time did I feel unsafe. It is about 15 minutes drive from downtown St. Joseph and Silver Beach.

The entire hotel looks and feels very new, I think it was either built or updated within the last year or two. The lobby was spacious with a LCD TV and nice seating. The people at the front desk were fairly helpful and friendly. I booked online for the lowest rate I could find and got a good sized room that had a king sized bed, couch, coffee table, desk, large 37" LCD TV, large mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and iron. Everything was very clean and felt fairly new, including the bathroom. The towels and sheets were stain and hole free. The room didn't have any weird or unpleasant smells. Despite the hotel being right next to the interstate, I couldn't hear any traffic noise at all though I never tried opening the windows. The free wireless internet was decently fast and easy to use.

I did not use the pool, business center, or fitness room, though the pool and fitness center also look fairly new. Apparently you can also rent an Xbox360 from the front desk. Checkout was a breeze and the hot breakfast was nice, there was a good selection of continental breakfast type food. The hot part consisted of pancakes, bacon, and a waffle maker. The pancakes and bacon seemed like they were previously frozen and didn't taste very good, but the rest of the breakfast stuff was okay.

If you need to stay a night or two in the area and want something new, clean, and comfortable, I would recommend this hotel. I tend to nitpick when it comes to writing reviews but I honestly can't think of any real negatives to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 February 2010

Facility appears to have been recently updated. Hotel lobby, corridors and room were very clean. The complimentary breakfast had a nice selection of items. Hotel is located near I-94, but traffic noise was not an issue. Hotel is located near plenty of restaurants and stores.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Stayed here a few yrs ago and again a week ago... I was impressed with the new updates that they have done... breakfast was great.. new flatpanel TV and bedding.. I was surprised of the improvements that have been made.. front desk clerk was great with my kids..

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2009

We were in the middle of a blizzard and could not make it to our original hotel, so we ended up staying the night here. The lobby was nice and the staff friendly and helpful. We arrived in the middle of a blizzard, yet the heat was not on in the room. It was freezing. It took an hour for the room to heat up.
The bath tub was in need of an extra good scrub. You might want to bring water shoes or think twice about it. They of course have the standard "stain hiding" floral bedspreads, that did not do a very good job of hiding the stains. There was a huge stain in the middle of the bedspread. Yuck!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 21 March 2008

We stayed here a year ago and loved it. Not so this time. Forget the overwhelming stench in the rooms and the stained lampshades as well as the overflowing trash cans in the front of the hotel and in the hallways. We booked two rooms, one for my octagenarian parents and one for my husband and me. We tried to order a PPV movie in our room to no avail. The PPV credit-card reading device was apparently not hooked up. We contacted the front desk and was told that maintenace would show up. When maintenance did not show up we checked my parents room and figured out how to properly hook up the device. Once the device was correctly configured it didn't work at all. We then went over to my parents room and orderd the movie. The movie played but without audio. I again contacted the front desk who put me on indefinite (>20 mins) hold. The maintenance guy eventually showed up and was unable to fix the audio. When I requested reimbursement of our charges he told us to call the number on the credit card reading device, as the hotel was not associated with them. Of course, there was no number on the device. This company needs to attend to their details. If you have a choice, chose another hotel.

Stayed: March 2008
3  Thank michellehmail
Reviewed 14 November 2006

This is a nice hotel but avoid it on Tuesdays, There is a weekly meeting for locals in the large meeting room and the place is a zoo, not to mention NO PARKING for GUEST. Seems that management prefers hosting the meeting over the needs of its guest. Other than that the hotel is clean with nice amenities.

Stayed: November 2006
2  Thank nsitom
Reviewed 25 September 2006

Nice Hotel, no problems. Would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)