“Friendly staff”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Big Rapids
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have stayed at the Quality Inn a few times in the last year when we go and visit our child at Ferris State since the location is perfect. Everytime we have stayed it has been clean and the staff has always been very friendly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Great price, close to everything, very friendly staff, clean room, great FREE breakfast. Only few things that need a lil help/work ....the wallpaper was coming down in my room (not a big deal), elevator needed to be cleaned, shower head was WAY to low (I'm only 5'3") other than that a very nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Things have really changed under the new owner (VJ). The changes aren't good. He treats his employees with no respect, yelling at them in front of guests. The beds must've been purchased used and the pillows keep getting flatter. Sad to say I won't be staying here again, I recommend you don't either.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Chad P
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Very nice room and you can't beat the price. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. We were in Big Rapids for an open house at Ferris State where my daughter will attend in the fall, so we basically used the room to shower and sleep. Will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Pros: Fridge & Micro Nicely updated rooms at a bargain price. Very friendly staff. good location. Super convenient to the FSU campus - walkable in good weather.

Cons: Common areas could use more care. Trash on the ground outside the door the entire three days we stayed. Poor shoveling of the sidewalks/entry areas other than at the main lobby.

The long review:

I've now stayed at all three hotels in Big Rapids. While the Country Inn is my first choice in terms of cleanliness, location and comfort; the Quality Inn is a very good value and was literally half the price of the Country Inn during this stay.

At check-in, the person working the front desk was very chipper and friendly. He gave very good directions to where my room was. For whatever reason, my reservation information did not immediately indicate to him that I was a Choice Privileges member and used that opportunity to invite me to sign up; when he saw later that I was a member, he apologized for not "welcoming me as a member." All hotels have their loyalty programs, but this is the first time I've checked in somewhere and had them give a crap if I was a member of their program or thank me for being one. I only ventured to the lobby two other times (bleary eyed for coffee - there is an in-room maker but I never use those because i just assume they're filthy) and each of those times, the staff were very nice and friendly - even though it was a busy weekend in Big Rapids (honors program testing and a hs hockey tournament) and the hotel was fully booked.

This property has older and newer buildings; we stayed in one of the newer buildings at the back that has interior room access. The older parts of the property are "motel" style with exterior hallways to the rooms. The entry door into the building is not secured; you don't need a key card or anything to gain access, but this is Big Rapids so I don't really think there are security concerns.

There was a bad odor in the hallway that I first thought was food/cooking odor but later thought it smelled like dead mouse. Our room, however, was clean and smelled fresh. The first time we were there, anyhow. The room has had a somewhat recent upgrade with granite sink area (separate from the toilet and sink), new shower enclosure and the bowed out curtain rod and a showerhead with multiple stream settings. The towels were soft and fresh, a nice change from scratchy hotel towels that tend to smell like bleach. We had a double room and there were eight fluffy pillows. One bed was quite uncomfortable - it was very springy - but the other was good. Room had a good sized TV. Each time I turned it on, the color was very washed out, but when I turned it off and back on, it was fine. There was a mini-fridge and a microwave in the room as well. We left for the night and when we returned after dinner, the bad odor from the hall was now in our room as well. I still am not sure if the smell was coming from a sink trap or a dead mouse or food or what. I didn't make a complain to management about it because I kind of figured, what could they do? It kind of hit you in the face when you walked in building and again when you walked in the room but you got used to it pretty quickly.

They have free continental breakfast but I didn't try it. I did have coffee and it was standard hotel grade coffee. The breakfast and coffee area was nicely furnished and clean. There isn't a "business center" type area at this hotel but there is a computer and printer in the lobby for guest use. The wireless internet in the rooms was free, signal strong and reliable.

Overall, it was a very good stay. I was a little leery of this place because it was so inexpensive but it was better than I thought I'd get for the very, very low cost of staying here. I will stay again if on a budget.

Room Tip: Get a room near the lobby if you plan to partake in the continental breakfast or lobby coffee. The b...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Becky55110
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hotel's age clearly shows from the outside and inside the hotel, particularly in the hallways. The front office is pretty nice, the rooms and bathrooms are decent. Some dirty areas here and there, musty smell and our shower's nob was partially missing. Looked as if chewing tobacco or something was in our sink.
When walking around, old abandoned vending machines were left around. Ice machine was empty, and a fridge right next to it contained a can of chew and a bottle of water and spit chew. Some sort of bug eggs were on the ceilings of the hallways.
Hotel wasn't really terrible, there's clearly been renovations but there haven't been nearly enough. It is located about a block away from the Ferris State University sports complex. Staff was pretty friendly, especially for how busy they were. I would debate staying there again if I returned for FSU games.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ray b
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Ideal location easy get to the university . . Good parking space. Very good breakfast. Rooms are good size and very comfortable and no noise. Staff are friendly and helpful. The night shift is awesome..Over all Good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
#1 of 1 in Evart
Super 8 Big Rapids
Super 8 Big Rapids
#3 of 5 in Big Rapids

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!