“Wonderful People, nice accomodations”

Holiday Inn Big Rapids
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Big Rapids
GreenLeadersBronze level
Big Rapids, Michigan
“Wonderful People, nice accomodations”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I am on a long term work assignment and have stayed here at HI Big Rapids for over a month. What a wonderful place. The staff makes me feel at home and go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect. From the time I walk through the front door until I go to the restaurant for dinner, I am met with smiling faces and courteous staff. My room is always well cared for, is up to date (recently remodeled), and the cleaning staff outstanding. The pool is well cared for and clean. I like the laundry room as I don't have to drive to do my laundry. I travel a lot around the country for the last 35 years and Holiday Inn Big Rapids is among my favorite. I look forward to the next few months I will be staying here.

Room Tip: Enjoy your stay!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Randy R,

Thank you for the kind words about your recent stay with us. We are excited to hear that our room renovations have been a success. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Big Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I am traveling through for work and I’m not one to write reviews but this place needs a great review!!
• The rooms are all newly remodeled up to date and CLEAN!!
• The pool is a big indoor pool with a hot tub also very CLEAN!!
• The restaurant/bar has a good selection of beer and food.
• The staff is very helpful.
Next time I travel trough Big Rapids I will be staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank THD40
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Dear THD40,

Thank you very much for the great review. Our renovations are continuing, but it is wonderful to read that the improvements are being noticed. We look forward to hosting you again very soon.
White Cloud, Michigan
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

You walk in there's a nice large lobby to sit and relax when waiting for friends to meet you. The staff is very friendly and helpful when checking in. There's a large pool and hot tub right by the elevator . The rooms are nice size unless you get a corner room. The beds were very comfy and has a desk, chair, all new tvs,new bathrooms the king room has a couch., no stains on sheets. Back down stairs they have a bar restaurant very elegant chairs and good food and when you walk by the floor behind the bar look down and admire the marble my son poured it and spent over 24 hours working on it very high class!!! So next time you are in big rapids stay at the hotel after a hockey game or college football game!! You won't regret it!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank wendy f
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Greetings Wendy F,
Thank you for the great review. We are pleased you had such a wonderful experience, and we hope to see you again soon!
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My wife and I stayed there while attending an FSU hockey game on campus. The hotel is clean, the staff friendly, and the rooms fairly quiet--surprisingly so given the was a kid's hockey tournament also in town that had a bunch of 10 year-olds staying in the rooms surrounding us.

Initially our room was not ready (at 4pm) as the visiting college hockey had only just checked out. The front desk clerk immediately explained the situation to me, apologized, and offered me a discount on the room for the inconvenience. That was quite nice.

We also had a beer, post-game at the sports-themed restaurant on premises. Surprisingly they also a had a decent array of non-mega beers on tap, too.

Would definitely stay here during our next trip to see a game.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms near the elevator...that's where the vending and ice machines are located, wh...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Greetings MongoSchwartz,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate your understanding and patience with regards to your room not being available at the posted check in time. It is great to hear you had a chance to enjoy our Sporting News Grill during your visit and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Madison Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I have business in Big Rapids that takes me to town two or three times per year. I have always stayed here more so because I am a Holiday Inn priority club member than because it is the best place to stay. The property is definitely older and as such a bit dated. They are currently doing some work on the restaurant (changing from a Bennigans to something else) so can't report on what that will be like.

The pool is large and the hottub is hot. The guest service is always prompt, friendly, and professional. The prices are good for the area and I have never had a problem getting a room when I have needed one. I am sure that when Ferris State is starting up for the year the rooms are harder to come by as parents and others are in town helping students move in. The hotel shares the property with the Ferris State golf course (which is decent) so that is available if you are so moved to play 9 or 18. The normal guest rooms also contain a microwave and fridge which is quite nice if you are in town for multiple days. The hotel is convenient to town as well as Ferris State.

I would definitely recommend to others if they were ever in town in need of accommodations and will continue to stay here when coming to Big Rapids for business (can't believe I would ever come here for pleasure).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Greetings CPAExplorer,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay and feedback. Your comments have been shared with the staff. The property is starting renovations on the Guest Rooms and Conference Areas shortly which will include replacement of all furniture, fixtures, and wall coverings. We look forward to hosting you again soon.
UP
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We just stayed at this hotel for two nights while moving my daughter. The rooms are OK. They are renovating the hotel so maybe it will be better once they do this. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly, minus the person that brought us new pillows. The person just handed my son the pillows and scowled at him when he said thank you. The pool definitely needs some work. Overall OK for what we were there for.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Greetings kutchej,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We at the Holiday Inn Big Rapids appreciate all feedback that our guests give us. It is unfortunate that one of our staff members was less than cordial and we will be sure to address this to all staff members so it does not happen in the future. We are excited to have our hotel renovations under way and encourage you to visit us again when the hotel renovations are completed.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2013

So this is a review of Room 223, and Room 223 only. As an FYI, it is also all that I saw or used when I was at the Holiday Inn.

I come to Big Rapids after the first of three days of a 300 mile charity bike ride. I do this every year. In previous years I have stayed at the Country Inn across the street. It is an excellent property, btw.

Because several of my fellow riders stay at The Holiday Inn, I booked there this year. This was indeed a mistake. After receiving my room keys I found my room to be near the elevator and the ice machines. This is a MAJOR FLAW in the ICH system, as in both Marriott and Hilton I can tell them to always put me at the end of a hall - and never near an elevator or ice machine.

But the Holiday Inn had a GREAT solution to my fear of elevator and ice machine noise - far more noise. I opened the Room 223 door, to hear what sounded like a loud plane - landing in my room. I checked - the TV was not on. I checked, the AC/Heat unit on the floor was not on. I listened a little more, and found that the sound seemed to be coming from outside my window. It was an awful long time for a plane to be hovering - but I looked up anyway - nothing.

Then I saw it - right in front of my room window. While I have ZERO knowledge of HVAC, what I saw appeared to be the master AC unit for the building. Literally right there in front of my window. And roaring loudly. I turned on my room AC fan - to see if it would drown it out. Nope - not loud enough. I turned on my TV - nope, not loud enough.

So anyway, yes, I should have refused the room. But I got in late - and I desperately needed sleep. While I slept very poorly, at least I got a little sleep.

If the HI people are reading this, I have a few questions: 1. Why would you EVER put a loud unit like that right next to a room's window? That was a big roof out there. You could certainly have engineered it to be somewhere else. 2. Since in fact the unit is where it is, why wouldn't you entirely "wall off" the room if you must use it? That is, make the room windowless, but at least provide a sound barrier that would make it liveable for your overnight guests.

This is clearly an unacceptable room - no one should be placed in it - and no one should pay for it. But again, since I had to immediately jump on a shuttle bus in the AM, as it arrived when I hit the lobby, I was unable to express this to the hotel. If indeed renovation is going on in this hotel, then do something about Room 223.

Finally, if you stay elsewhere, I saw ZERO signs of renovation in my room or in the hallways. There are two kinds of Holiday Inns - the "Oh Wow" newer ones, and the older beat up ones that you almost feel you can't set your clothes on the floor. This one falls in the "older beat up" set.

Room Tip: Reject Room 223 if offered to you. Stay in the Country Inn and Suites as they are nearby and have a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
dukefan2331,
The staff and I would like to thank you for your recent stay. It is very unfortunate that it was less than satisfactory. I would like to take this opportunity to address a the items you directed to us directly. It is true that there is a unit outside of this room, unfortunately during construction of the hotel originally there was not forethought of placement for the pool and common area cooling units. In regards to walling off the room, this is not an option largely in part due to fire code regulation.
With that being said, there are a few rooms that share this issue and in order to better keep our guests informed on room choices such as this; I will have a special room type created to separate these rooms from our general inventory.
I would like to let you know that we are beginning a full hotel renovation including guest rooms, common areas, restaurant, and conference center. This task will be completed before next years Make a Wish event and I invite you to consider our hotel again so that you can experience our modern updates.

Travellers are raving about these Big Rapids hotels

#4 of 5 in Big Rapids
Two Hats Ranch
Two Hats Ranch
#1 of 1 in Big Rapids

Been to Holiday Inn Big Rapids? Share your experiences!