“Seems the Best Place to Stay in BR”

Holiday Inn Big Rapids
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Big Rapids
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Located very near Ferris State U and an accompanying golf course, this property is easy to find. It is still in the process of being renovated, but appears very close to being completed.

I was a bit taken aback by the overwhelming smell of chlorine from the indoor pool as we checked in (check in was smooth, the front desk personable and efficient), but that was the only place that it was noticed - it didn't creep up to the rooms themselves. The double queen room was clean, bright, quiet, (even on a weekend, and there appeared to be a wedding reception hosted there), and well-appointed.

The fitness center needed a good dusting, despite being well used on the morning I was making use of it. Water, towels plentiful.

There is quite a lot of shopping in the area, and decent restaurants. Didn't stop at the Sporting News Grill, which is part of the Conference Center, but had heard from locals that it had good food, happy hour, etc.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear mrober24,

Thank you for the great review. We will investigate the chlorine odor that you described and make sure that our system is functioning correctly. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our Sporting News Grill received great reviews from the locals as well. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

They were in the middle of a remodel. So if I were the type to complain about the issues related to it I could however they were so good about calling the room to verify that I had everything I needed. Who does that these days, good job Holiday Inn it shows you really do care about your customers.
When walking passed the front desk we were asked about our stay again they could have easily not asked or cared. It shows that you do care.
To me I can look passed many issues (related to a remodel) with great customer service, thanks for making my visit pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Greetings OTBS32,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. It is great to hear that our staffs dedication to guest satisfaction was noticeable. We are close to the end of our remodel and hope that you will stay with us again after the project is completed to enjoy all the refreshed items. We will share your comments with our staff so they can understand their dedication is being noticed.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was a guest speaker for the Annual Big Rapids Festival of the Arts in February, and they had me stay 5 nights at the Holiday Inn, mostly because it it one of the few hotels in town that has a restaurant in the facility.

Being a Tripadvisor user, I was a tad hesitant after reading some of the older reviews here, but I was most pleasantly surprised. I was upgraded to a 4th floor larger room, it was all new, very quiet, the hotel staff was consistently courteous, professional, and helpful, from desk staff to housekeeping. A staffer in the Banquet Office was kind enough to help me with some printing and mailing tasks, even though it was not her job to do that! Very impressive.

It was quiet, too-- I have stayed in many hotels where the mechanical "door closers" slammed the doors down the hall early in the morning, but this was blissfully quiet technology, a major plus for me as I sleep odd hours. It was all spotlessly clean, including the pool area. The free coffee in the lobby is a nice touch, and the free wifi internet worked great.

Where it really matters in terms of comfort and convenience and courtesy and quiet and cleanliness it was an excellent hotel stay, and I travel a LOT. Kudos to the management team for making this all happen on so many levels. -- jl

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Justin_Locke
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Greetings Justin_Locke,

We thank you for such a wonderful review. We hope that you will return to us again next year during the Arts festival so that you can see our finished project inside and out. It is great to hear that the staff was able to meet your needs at provide you such excellent service.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

In town for a hockey tournament. The staff treated us all very well. The rooms are clean and comfortable. A large lobby with coffee and tea. Another large lobby in front of the restaurant, made it nice for the team to hang out between games. We were never made uncomfortable for being a hockey team as we have been at other hotels. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

kimbill97,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are glad to hear you were able to take advantage of our public spaces for your teams needs and that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms. We look forward to hosting your team again in the future!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I am on a long term work assignment and have stayed here at HI Big Rapids for over a month. What a wonderful place. The staff makes me feel at home and go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect. From the time I walk through the front door until I go to the restaurant for dinner, I am met with smiling faces and courteous staff. My room is always well cared for, is up to date (recently remodeled), and the cleaning staff outstanding. The pool is well cared for and clean. I like the laundry room as I don't have to drive to do my laundry. I travel a lot around the country for the last 35 years and Holiday Inn Big Rapids is among my favorite. I look forward to the next few months I will be staying here.

Room Tip: Enjoy your stay!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Randy R,

Thank you for the kind words about your recent stay with us. We are excited to hear that our room renovations have been a success. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I am traveling through for work and I’m not one to write reviews but this place needs a great review!!
• The rooms are all newly remodeled up to date and CLEAN!!
• The pool is a big indoor pool with a hot tub also very CLEAN!!
• The restaurant/bar has a good selection of beer and food.
• The staff is very helpful.
Next time I travel trough Big Rapids I will be staying here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank THD40
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear THD40,

Thank you very much for the great review. Our renovations are continuing, but it is wonderful to read that the improvements are being noticed. We look forward to hosting you again very soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

You walk in there's a nice large lobby to sit and relax when waiting for friends to meet you. The staff is very friendly and helpful when checking in. There's a large pool and hot tub right by the elevator . The rooms are nice size unless you get a corner room. The beds were very comfy and has a desk, chair, all new tvs,new bathrooms the king room has a couch., no stains on sheets. Back down stairs they have a bar restaurant very elegant chairs and good food and when you walk by the floor behind the bar look down and admire the marble my son poured it and spent over 24 hours working on it very high class!!! So next time you are in big rapids stay at the hotel after a hockey game or college football game!! You won't regret it!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank wendy f
Eric V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Big Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Greetings Wendy F,
Thank you for the great review. We are pleased you had such a wonderful experience, and we hope to see you again soon!