“September 26, 2013”

Wilderness Trails Zoo
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Birch Run
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Walk through zoo with over 50 different species. Open May - October. Picnic pavilion, petting area, feed stations throughout the trail to feed animals, and parakeet encounter. Birthday packages available. 3 miles east of Prime Outlets of Birch Run and 4 miles south of Frankenmuth. Fun for all ages. Bring the entire family!
Reviewed 26 September 2013

First read the website which stated everything was still open. All the reptiles were gone due to being cold at night. The butterfly house was closed. Half the cages were empty. If would like to see alot, i mean alot of goats, go visit this zoo. It took less then two hours to see entire zoo, including lunch and playground. The restrooms smelled worse then any animal.

They should have offered a discount price for the zoo at this time. Very disappointing.

11  Thank Judy N

Reviewed 19 September 2013

DO NOT GO TO THIS ZOO! This place is horrible. I wish I could give them no stars. All of their animals, including big cats and bears, are kept in tiny concrete enclosures with no enrichment, no grass and no companions. They are all neglected and poorly cared for. No animals should have to live this way. Please do not go here or support this zoo in anyway. They need to be shut down and the animals relocated.

21  Thank Cassie U
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I were horrified when we visited Wilderness Trails "Zoo". First off the price you pay for what this place is is pathetically overpriced and the front counter woman was clearly less than thrilled to be there.

Moving on to the point of this facility, the animals. This place is a disgraceful excuse of a zoo and I cannot understand how it would pass any sort of animal welfare inspection. The enclosures were nothing more than very, very small metal fenced concrete floor enclosures. Most areas were rusted out and in need of major attention. If you have never seen depressed animals before than look no further. We were absolutely disgusted by the terrible conditions these animals are subjected to. The primates, including a baboon, a macaque, and a few others look completely miserable sitting on concrete floors. A few branches were included in the enclosures, but the conditions were simply deplorable. The water that was provided for the animals was in very small bowls that clearly had not been cleaned in quite some time.

Moving on to some of the larger animals there were a few areas with larger enclosures, but every one of them was in MAJOR need of cleaning. The conditions these poor animals were being subjected to was sickening. They had a few zebras, some deer and horses that actually enjoyed grass and dirt enclosures, but there was clearly no maintenance done to the grounds in some time.

The most pathetic enclosures were those housing the bears, leopards, and a tiger. All animals were confined to incredibly small concrete floor enclosures with little in the way of natural grounds. Each of these animals looked extremely stressed out and very uncomfortable in their surroundings.

If you have children do not bring them here and allow them to see these poor animals. We even overheard a child commenting to his parents about the small enclosure for the bears by stating "they don't have a very big place to stay". If a child of no more than 4-5 years can make such a comment I feel the staff is falling miserably short of providing quality enclosures.

I STRONGLY urge people to stay clear of this disgusting excuse of an animal park. My wife and I are investigating where we can file formal complaints to try and get authorities in there to investigate the conditions. If this location has any sort of certification from animal agencies I would be very surprised. This park is nothing more than a display of animal abuse and our hearts were crushed seeing the clearly depressed and stressed out animals.

32  Thank tontoj
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My granddaughter and I went to this Zoo last week. It had been a few years since I was there and I noticed a number of improvements. They have a nice variety of animals. This zoo has a lot more animals than the Saginaw Children's Zoo. We love that Zoo, but this gave us a different experience. There is no train or carousel at this Zoo, so you won't go broke paying for the extras. The petting zoo area had ponies, a camel, an Alpaca, calves and goats. My granddaughter really enjoyed that area. There are lots of ducks and swans to feed. Bring your quarters to buy the feed that is found throughout the park. The Zoo has a lot of shade, which is nice. They also have lots of covered picnic tables, so you can eat in the shade. They also had a nice play area for kids to enjoy. I think the only food they sell is candies and ice cream treats. The butterfly house was closed already, so we were bummed by that. All the animals look healthy and well taken care of. There are a few volunteers throughout the Zoo that were friendly and helpful. Ample parking in front of the Zoo. We spent over 2 hours there and hope to go back again very soon.

4  Thank SharonEssexville
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We visited zoo today, the kids loved it and we had a great time. However very disappointed in their handling of Gift Certificate I purchased from TV25 I/2 Deals. They honored our $55 gift certificate for the value of our admittance which totaled $36.50. Lost the rest of the value because they said it had no cash value, I didn't want cash at all, just wanted to spend the remaining $18.50 in gift shop. They wouldn't do that just said the balance was lost because it had no cash value!!!! I should have been at least given a credit for the balance that we could use at a later date!!! VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

5  Thank Vickie M