“GREAT PLACE TO STAY”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Birch Run
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Every spring my sisters and I go to Birch Run for 2 nights. We always stay at this hotel simply because it is THE BEST. Besides being clean and comfortable and convenient to the shopping, the people that work there are extremely nice. Andy is the general manager and he is definitely in the right job. He cannot do enough to make sure your stay at his hotel is perfect. We're already looking forward to our return visit next year!

1  Thank OntarioDonna
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed here over memorial day because it was convenient to shopping at Birch Run. The location is great, you can walk to restaurants and even the outlet mall as long as you can carry everything you buy. I would have given the hotel a much higher rating except for some key faults. The first was breakfast. The breakfast room is simply too small for the number of tables. Moving around is difficult. Second they were clearly not staffed to handle the crowd. During the time I was there they ran out of plates cups, bread etc. It was very frustrating. In addition while overall the room was clean they missed some details such as an ice bucket with standing water and mold. Bottom line, location and price are great if you can overlook the details.

1  Thank dholky
Reviewed 27 May 2012

My room was clean and smelled fresh. We enjoyed the verity of breakfast items in the morning. Andy, the hotel manager, was very hospitable and friendly. This is our first stay in this hotel and we will definitely be back to stay here again when we come to this area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Maggie M
Reviewed 24 May 2012

we stayed here for 1 night ..
when we walked in, the girl at the front desk was nice! there were chocolate chip cookies at the front desk, along with apples, coffee and tea .. very nice.
We paid $68 for the room (went there in Nov and it was $120ish)
our bed was not too comfy. feather pillows(not my fav) .. small TV.. pool had TONZ of chlorine.. almost too much.. great location, literally RIGHT BESIDE the outlet stores.. you could walk over.. its right there!
Warm breakfast - Had eggs, bacon, hasbrowns, 3 coffee times, 4 juice types, oatmeal with chocolate chips, or fruit, or cinnamon.. toast, bagels, 3 muffin types.. waffles with syrup. 4 types of cereals ..
would stay again

Reviewed 17 May 2012

This stay was a happy accident. Typically I stay in Saginaw when travelling through Michigan, but the hotels I choose there were both booked. I took a chance on the Country Inn because of some planned shopping at the Outlets before hitting the road the next afternoon. When I called the 800 line to reserve it was easy & they set me up automatically for their points program. Glad they did 'cause I'll be back!

I forgot to take note of friendly young woman who checked us in around 7pm May 15, but we were in our room lightning fast. I remarked on a disability that made walking difficult & I hoped to leave my scooter in the car. Instead of the room planned, she went out of her way to point out the elevator (highlight of the very clean lobby is a staircase to the upper floors, but the elevator is right behind) and find a double room for us only a few steps from it. She also gave us the login info for the free wifi.

In the lobby is a coffee machine, and on the check-in desk I also noticed a basket of candy & a jar of fresh cookies. It was a beautiful night out & there were a few guests outside enjoying the breeze. They might have been smokers, but I didn't see anyone smoking when I came in - it just felt quite nice that guests were gathering out front.

While waiting for the elevator, i noted there was an ice machine, drinks & snacks vending machines on the main floor. And behind the elevator was a lovely indoor pool & hot tub. It looked spotless - I wish I'd brought my suit. (next time...and there'll definitely be a next time!)

Our 2nd floor room was well appointed with everything we needed. For those who gave this a low rating, I think we must have stayed at different places! You understand that this is a 2.5* Hotel off the I75 next to an Outlet Mall, right? Why are you rating it like it should be the Four Seasons? Were there a couple of nicks on the bathroom counter? Yup. A tiny bit of chipped paint near the bathroom door handle if you look really hard? Ok. Ooooh, even signs of the previous bath stickers in the tub under the new mat!

But so? The room was super clean. The beds were comfortable. The fan & A/C worked well when we wanted them & the windows opened when we didn't. Plenty of clothes hangers, an iron, good water pressure, a nice low tub I could get into easily with my bad back, amenities from Pantene, a dryer that actually dried my hair, a tv that worked well, a comfortable desk chair, free wi-fi & more than enough space to get around.

Breakfast was included in the terrific price & that certainly didn't disappoint! While going to the breakfast room, I saw 2 hotel staff members who greeted me warmly & pointed me in the right direction. (end of the hall 1st floor) Breakfast had bagels, toast, muffins, 4 kinds of cereal, hot oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, make your own waffles (Yum!), juice, fruit, coffee & tea. Definitely lots to get you started for a day of shopping.

Melissa at check out was very friendly as we were leaving. It only took us a minute until we were on our way to the outlets & spending the dough we saved by staying here. Thanks for a great stay! Looks like I'll be staying in Birch Run & driving to Saginaw to shop next time, instead of the reverse as usual!

2  Thank rubie18
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Country Inn & Suites at Birch Run MI. USA
Andy, Melissa & staff are so helpful, the place is very clean has a excellent Breakfast. Lots of Shopping,Restaurant, Golfing & Frankenmuth is only 8 Miles away. Has a pool & whirlpool to soak in after a long day. We highly recommend this Hotel.

Thanks Jim & Sharon

Room Tip: We had room 231 it is clean 7 & big room everything you need.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank golfer1993
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The staff and front desk was great and super friendly, lobby was cozy and great for a morning cup of coffee, and the breakfast spread was excellent.

The rooms, however, felt dirty. I'm not usually one to be squeamish, but I didn't want to go barefoot on the carpet. Bathrooms especially were a bit scuzzy. Both drains -- the sink and shower -- were clogged/slow, so after one morning shower, the other guests in the room were showering in 6 inches of standing water. The heavy chlorine and giant hairball in the pool didn't help matters, either.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Baymont Inn & Suites Bridgeport/Frankenmuth
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#3 of 7 in Birch Run

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run? Share your experiences!