“Not up to previous Holiday Inn Express stays”

Holiday Inn Express Birch Run (Frankenmuth Area)
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Birch Run
Newington, CT
“Not up to previous Holiday Inn Express stays”
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My husband and I have chosen to stay in Holiday Inn Express hotels since we stayed in one in Mackinaw City, MI in 2006. We also stayed in the one in Middleton, RI in 2006. We have been very happy with Holiday Inn Express until we visited the one in Birch Run, MI. We stayed at the Birch Run facility in July 2009 overnight - on that occasion we checked in with an AARP discount, which when we checked out, I noticed we hadn't been given credit for the discount. When I brought it to the clerk's attention, he was rude and said, you're going to worry about $5.00? In the end, he gave us money out of petty cash, $5.00, because he couldn't figure out how to reverse the charge and re-enter correctly. I think that the difference was more than $5.00, but we moved on. I couldn't be bothered with his attitude. Most recently, we were in Michigan due to a death in my family and we decided to give the Holiday Inn Express another try because the location was near where we needed to be. The room in which we stayed, had a shower that made a high pitched noise when turned on, which sometimes ceased after a few minutes, sometimes not, the drain in the sink outside the bathroom did not drain, and the toilet got plugged up, not from anything as far as I can tell that we did. All of these things were not a big issue until added together with the fact that the hotel inactivated our room card keys sometime during the night prior to the morning of our scheduled checkout. I went down to the lobby at 3:30 am to get a plunger for the toilet, when I got back to my room on the third floor I was unable to re-enter the room because the card would not work. I didn't want to wake my husband, so I went back down to the lobby, the card was reactivated and worked. At 6 am, my husband went down to the lobby and got two coffees and brought them back up to the room. He could not get into the room because his room key card would not work. Since I was still sleeping, he had to go back to the lobby and have his card reactivated. We went down and ate breakfast around 7 am (by the way, the eggs were icky, undercooked each day) and then I went back up to the room to finish packing while my husband was getting a luggage rack, and once again, I COULD NOT get into my room! Finally, I was annoyed enough to let the hotel staff know I was annoyed. I asked if this is the hotel's policy and was told it is not. If check out time is 11:00 am, then I expect that I can get in and out of the room I paid for, until 11:00 am. We could only get decent internet service using our laptop, in the lobby - it wouldn't work well in the room.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hmebdy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Livonia MI
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We went here for a quick getaway. I paid $180 for a Jacuzzi king suite. The first thing I noticed was a complete contrast of colors. From the sage green blanket, to the lime green chair with hunter green carpet and drapes; however, color is tolerable compared to the rest of the issues. There was a huge stain on the floor that appeared to be vomit smeared all over. There was a nasty overpowering smell of cleaning fluids that had the both of us instantly congested. While getting ready to head to dinner we noticed food smeared on the long mirror in the entryway. You could actually see particles - it looked like it may have been pizza. There were ants crawling on the drapes and on the bathroom floor. Every corner in the bathroom had spider webs. The bathroom doorframe was jimmied up with a few pennies and a piece of wood shim. The most disgusting part was the pubic hair in the tub. Funny enough, they didn't have a comment card in the room for us to voice our opinions. I did take pics to prove how gross it really was. I don't have pics of the ants because we immediately killed and disposed of them and the pubic hair had to be immediately discarded because it was completely gagging me. I do have pics of the puke, webs, dirty mirror and jimmied door. I almost forgot to mention the noise. From being able to hear conversations in the rooms next to and above to the conversations in the hall, nothing better than being woke up at 615A on a Saturday. Perhaps they should consider a little installation between the rooms/floors.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Toledo, OH
Reviewed 14 July 2009

When calling to book our stay, the employee did not understand or speak fluent English, making the process difficult. After spelling our street name three times, it was still wrong. However, the hotel itself was not bad. Bathroom was a tad dirty, hair and dust build up in corners. Bed was comfortable, breakfast was great. TV was old and had bad reception. Pool was clean but whirlpool looked dirty. Beds were comfortable. A/C was noisy.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Indianapolis
Reviewed 1 May 2009

My wife and our 11 yr. old girls stayed here between family parties. it was a nice stay right at the Birch Run exit off of I-75. Their rate was very competitive with the other hotels in the area. The front desk service was very considerate. They let us check in early and had some good tips for Priority club specials.

The queen beds were really comfortable with plenty of pillows. The morning breakfast had some hot breakfast options and was larger than the normal free breakfast. Our little bacon eaters bemoaned the lack of bacon, but it was a really nice spread.

The hotel is a little worn. The elevators were slow and the hallway was a little warm. (Changing spring weather). The room temperature control was a little tricky to control. Our room did have a microwave and nice fridge. There was also plenty of room with a good desk and a good comfy chair.

We didn't get to the pool, but it was a good nice with a nice looking hot tub.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank momorang
Saginaw, MI
Reviewed 29 December 2008

This hotel is terrible. Their customer service is dry and uncaring, and even worse if you actually present a problem with your stay. The rooms are very run down and old. And their rates compared to other hotels at the same exit on I75 are very unreasonable. The Hampton Inn behind it is much nicer, and usually cheaper, as well as the Country Inn & Suites on the other side by the Outlet Malls.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank chrisse7en
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed 12 November 2008

Didn't end up staying at this location, so can't rate it direclty. Did call the hotel directly to see about either canceling the reservation or moving it to another Holiday Inn property north of Birch Run (weather moving in). Desk clerk couldn't help since we made and got the "internet rate" and pre-paid; and the Holiday Inn "guest services" at the 800-number would not help either. Yes, we ended up having to stop about 150 miles north of Birch Run when the "snow showers" ended up being a full-blown snow event which was about 3" when we stopped (couldn't see the interstate any longer), and over 6" and still coming down the next morning.
Basically, we didn't get to use the reservation, and HI was unwilling to help under the circumstances. We are going to attempt to contact HI to resolve this issue, but don't look for us to be staying at any HI property any time soon..

• Disliked — Holiday Inn's attitude
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JMLMississippi
Ontario
Reviewed 7 October 2008

My husband and I spent two nights at the Holiday Inn Express for a break without kids. After reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, I was a bit hesitant to book here, but the hot breakfast sounded good so we decided to give it a try.

Our check-in was quick and painless. Front desk staff was very friendly and we were on our way to our room in a matter of minutes.

Our room had two queen beds, a microwave, and a small fridge and was absolutely spotless. We had requested a non-smoking room and realized that it was not marked as such (there was no "non-smoking" sticker just outside the door), but we could not smell any evidence of smoke whatsoever.

The beds were very comfortable and there were 8 pillows on the beds. There is free high speed wireless internet available in the lobby, or you can connect your laptop in your room with an ethernet cable. If you don't carry one with you, the front desk will provide one. The bathroom was also spotless and has a heat lamp, which is great while showering.

The hotel has a good-sized pool and also a very large hot tub. The pool water is quite warm, and the water in the hot tub was just right: not too cold but not so hot that you can only stay in for a few minutes.

In the morning a complimentary hot breakfast is served in a nice breakfast area. There is lots of selection: french toast, toast, bagels with cream cheese, hot cinnamon rolls, eggs with bacon or sausages, biscuits with gravy, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, coffee, and juice. We thought the breakfast was excellent!

We had a great stay at the Holiday Inn and thought that we received excellent value for the price paid ($67.00 per night). We had absolutely no complaints and would certainly stay here again if we are in the area.

• Liked — comfortable clean room, hot breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank canadiangirltoo
#4 of 7 in Birch Run
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birch Run (Frankenmuth Area)? Share your experiences!