“TERRIBLE customer service”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Birch Run
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Because we are Value Club Card holders, I was told at when I called to book that there would be absolutely no problem upgrading us for free when we arrived if they had rooms available. When we arrived we were told there was no availability to upgrade (which was a lie because I had checked the website to see what they had available) so we just checked in. After 3 hours of driving in icy conditions with 2 small children, we just wanted to feed the kids and return to the hotel to relax. Upon our return, we opened our room door and discover they had only given us a room with one bed for 4 of us. I went back to the desk to request again that they upgrade us due to the fact that they had made a mistake with our room and because they had told me when I booked that if they had available rooms, they would "absolutely" upgrade us. When I went to the desk this time, I mentioned that I knew they had a suite available to upgrade us into because I had checked the website. The lady behind the desk said "Sorry, I can't give you that room. We don't do that this time of year. What is someone else wants it?" I mentioned that their policy states: (quoted directly from their site) Free Room Upgrade
Relax with a Room Upgrade at NO additional charge when you present your Value Club card at check-in. (based on availability)
She said "Sorry, I can't. Here is your new room card." When we got into the new room it STUNK and it was FREEZING. My daughter even commented about how it was warmer outside then it was in the room. We were all so exhausted that we just settled in and cranked the heat all the way up. It took forever for the room to heat up. I travel to this area frequently and used to always choose this hotel when I needed a place to stay but the lady at the front desk was so rude and so unhelpful that I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone ever again. To me, it is worth paying more for a hotel with honest staff and friendly customer service that will honor what they advertise.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank weluvetotravel
ABVI48415, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our property. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you felt you experienced with us. There is never an excuse for providing anything less than great service. All claims against this property will be further investigated and corrected where necessary.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

After staying at ABVI in August in the back building and hating it, I decided to request a room in the main building for our shopping trip in November. Much better! The room itself even seemed much nice - not as dark and dank as I remember the one we had in the back building. The curtains even kept the light out at night. As the first time, the front desk staff were extremely nice even with a line up of people waiting to check in. It was a busy weekend and the hotel was full. I must say though, that if they had tried to give me a room in the back building, I would not have stayed there. I don't like the fact that the secondary doors (any door but the main reception door) are unlocked and accessible for anyone up until 11 pm but we were in early and so found nobody lurking in the stairwells lol. We didn't have a problem with the beds either time we stayed. We enjoyed the breakfast. There aren't any hot items other than toast and bagels but it still gets us up and going. I love that they have coffee and hot chocolate in the lobby at all times. Will definitely stay in the main building again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
ABVI48415, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We do our best to read every message. It is always rewarding to our team here at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites of Birch Run to know we've made our guests' stay very special. We appreciate your business and we look forward to serving you again!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Overall this was a decent place to stay for the money compared to the other area hotels. Only major issue was the beds. They were horribly uncomfortable and outdated. I barely slept and was very sore in the morning. The hotel was clean and everything worked. Had to go to another building for breakfast but wasn't bad because it was just across the lot and I didn't mind it at all. Service was great and everyone was super nice except for the breakfast lady giving me dirty looks because I had to make 3 trips to the take breakfast back to our room but it was for 4 people and we looked at me like I was stealing good. Wasn't too happy about that. Not 100% sure id stay again but might if it's a last minute trip again.

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I see a lot of really negative comments about this hotel and I completely disagree. It is the cheapest hotel in that area first of all, so you can't really expect the ritz carlton. I thought the rooms were very clean and the staff was very kind. The free breakfast and wifi were a bonus. We paid $80 for the night and had a queen bed. I will say the bed wasn't the most comfortable but again. I knew going into staying here that we may have a few pitfalls...the hotel beside and the hotel across the street were both over $150 a night. I am glad I decided to stay here. We were only going shopping at the outlets...we weren't going for a romantic evening away. If that was the case we probably would stay some place else. But most people that come to Birch Run are here for the outlet centre. Is it really necessary to spend 150 on a room for one night when you are spending all that money at the oulets? Save you money, stay here and buy something extra for your kids or spouse!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
ABVI48415, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My two daughters and I stayed here Nov. 15. $125.00 a night for 2 queen bed room. The floor was disgusting, I didn't want to take my shoes off. We left our socks on the whole time. There were all kinds of stains everywhere. The sheets were scratchy and we were afraid of bed bugs but we did check the bed first. We did not partake in the complimentary breakfast but heard from others that it wasn't that good. We were not in the main building which is fine. The walls are very thin, heard everything in the next room and hallway. Won't be staying here again. The next night we stayed at the Best Western which was 100% better.

1  Thank CarrieinOntario
ABVI48415, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 night because I wasn't willing to pay $175/night to stay IN Frankenmuth. ABVI was much more affordable, and only a couple minute drive. Room had a fridge/microwave which I happy to see.

The staff was very helpful. We showed up an couple hours early and the lady at the front desk made a point to go ask someone in housekeeping which rooms were already clean so we could check in early.

The room was VERY clean. Probably one of the cleanest hotel rooms I have ever seen. Very much appreciated.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ABVI48415, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We were quite impressed with this Hotel. Yes, it is older but completely adequate for an overnight stay while shopping at Birch Run and trip to Frankenmuth.
I was kind of concerned after reading some of the reviews but if you aren't super picky about things like art on the walls and big closets, it is fine.
It was very clean, fresh sheets on the bed and very quiet at night.
The desk clerk was very helpful and friendly. At first we were given a room, not in the Main Building, which was fine. Except when we got up there we could hear the people in the room next to ours making a ton of noise. So we went downstairs and asked to be moved. Not a problem. As a result we got a nice room in the Main Building away from the loud people and had a great quiet evening. The road noise wasn't an issue either.
The bathroom is a bit small but you aren't paying a huge price to stay there so you cope with it. I would rather have clean and quiet than a big bathroom.
I researched every hotel in the area and this was one of the most cost efficient I could find. We could have paid more at another hotel but I wanted to keep my money for shopping. Plus, there is never any guarantee those expensive places are going to be quiet and without issues. Read the reviews, someone always has a problem no matter how pricey the place.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cazza97
ABVI48415, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birch Run
#4 of 8 in Birch Run
Baymont Inn & Suites Bridgeport/Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!