“The Forest Grill”
Review of The Forest Grill

The Forest Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Forest Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 101 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Maple & Woodward
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We've been to The Forest Grill several times. Really great food and good service. Give this little gem a try!

There are newer reviews for The Forest Grill

Reviewed 24 January 2014

New menu, new look, new wine list, but the same solid food, prep and service. We went on a Saturday night with another couple. Our server was knowledgeable, and let us pace the dinner to suit our mood and conversation. WIne list was creative, with a nice collection of wines-by-the-glass.
Chef Polcyn is famous for his charcuterie, and you shouldn't pass up the chance. We had a mixed meat / cheese plate, well matched with wine, that set the perfect tone for the rest of the evening. Entrees were creative and well done. And for apps, do not miss the Farm Egg!

1  Thank Pedalboy
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I went on a Tuesday night at 6:00 and there were just a few other tables seated. I was able to find a parking spot on the street right in front of the restaurant. The restaurant is casual but nicely decorated.

I had the farm egg for my appetizer. It was awesome. A soft boiled egg in fried onion straws so the egg looked to be in a nest. Some diced scallops were around the egg. And there was a sabayonne sauce that was fantastic. I gobbled it down really fast.

I had the tomato salad. It was a take on the traditional tomato, mozzarella, and basil. It had two thick slices of tomato. Between the two slices and on top there was some very creamy cheese with bacon and basil. The skin of a tomato had been dried or crisped and attached to the sides. And, there was some zucchini cut in leaves. It looked like a tomato on the vine in a way.

For my entree I had took the waiter's recommendation and had the monk fish. It was a piece of monk fish wrapped in cabbage and then wrapped in caul fat that was broiled. On top were three tiny clams. It was in a forth, creamy broth. The waiter said the chef was inspired by clam chower and I could definitely see that. The fish was cooked perfectly and the taste was great. I had to get a spoon to slurp up the rest of the broth.

The menu changes frequently so it is a place that is worth return visits.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is the second visit to the FG on business in the past few months and it was a very pleasant experience on both occasions. Decor is contemporary inviting with two walls of glass which overlook a relatively quiet side street just off Woodward Ave. The tables are nicely spaced and the noise level is quite low allowing for easy conversation. The staff is very attentive without being overbearing. The menu is quite limited which, in my opinion, provides them with the opportunity to focus on doing a few things very well and that they do. There is something for almost everyone with fish, beef, chicken and a pasta offering. Excellent dinners on both visits. The wine list is extensive but limited in the by-the-glass offering - adequate but could use improvement. A very nice experience and I will return again.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We've been there twice...Lunch & Dinner, both times, with another couple (2 different ones). I remember very good Service, and Excellent originally prepared dishes, served in un uncrowded, open air tpe of setting....and Not Formal, but Casual. It was also Not Cheap either, but the other item is it's Location. It is NOT in the midst of that "pain in the rear" Birmingham Downtown, where at times, you want to "put your eyes" out over trying to park, or be "held up" by utterly indifferent Valet Parking attendants. Not being in the "heart" of Bham, parking is plentiful, which adds to the ease of Coming & Going. To be clear, that never stops me from going where I Want to, but it's a very nice added "Plus".