“Cheap and Cheerful”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Birmingham
Ajax, Canada
“Cheap and Cheerful”
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I was in Birmingham on business the week of October 28th. The hotel is on Woodward Avenue and is conveniently located within walking distance to the downtown core. The rooms are large and spacious abd the rates were affordable. At first glance it would appear that the majority of travelers were there for business purposes. The room rate includes free wi-fi access and full breakfast.
The only downsides to this hotel was that in some aspects it had been modernised, in other aspects it had been neglected. There was an abundance of floral prints within my room (drapes, wallpaper in the bathroom) and even fake plants in my room above my bed. I also noticed that the carpets were badly stained in some areas.
This hotel has the potential to become a boutique hotel (like The Opus in Vancouver) with the inclusion of some modern touches .

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Hello and thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham for your recent stay. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our location. Our proximity to Birmingham shopping, dining and night life is something we are very proud to offer. Our property improvements have begun! The exterior has been painted, and the kitchen renovated. Soon to follow the guest rooms and public space. We hope if you travel back to our area you will once again include the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham in your plans. Thank you for your time to provide a review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Tucson
Reviewed 31 October 2013

While the property was undergoing some modest upgrading, our five-day stay in October 2013 was very pleasant. The staff could not have been more courteous or helpful—they seem very customer-focused. The breakfast room was clean and spacious; breakfast offerings were diverse and reliably tasty. The room was clean and well-tended every day. Overall, a terrific package!

Room Tip: Best facing north, off Woodward Avenue, for quietest room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Please accept my sincere thanks for the wonderful review of our hotel, services and staff! Our service is so important and I have passed your comments onto the staff with my thanks for a job well done! It is truly a pleasure to have such wonderful guests such as yourself, and we hope your travels will ring you back to our area in the future. Again - thank you for your time and for the very positive feedback. Please contact me if I may be of any assistance.
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed here for a couple of weeks in summer of 2012 as I needed accessibility to Birmingham downtown without having to keep looking for a cab.

Service was all right - the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included and it was OK (no healthy options though), but the thing I liked best was the free Wi-Fi - fast enough without many interruptions.

That said, the hotel is old and some of the rooms / bathrooms are not that well maintained or in need for refurbishing. A moldy smell persists at a lot of places. Better value for money can be had by staying a little farther and driving to downtown (this is what all of my colleagues did after staying here for less than a week). The thermostat wasn't working in my first room (I didn't notice until a few days) so I had to shift rooms. In the second room, the noise from the heating unit made it a challenge to get sleep but I persisted as I wasn't in a mood to unpack and shift everything another time.

If some renovation has been done since the time I was there, I think this hotel provides an acceptable option being on Woodward Ave and next to downtown without being too expensive.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DarkArchon
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Hello and thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay back in October of 2012! We appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff, our wifi and our location!
Our renovation project has begun and will result in the improvements needed. Already the exterior painting and the kitchen have been renovated, and we are looking forward to updating the rooms and public space. Please give us a try when you are in our area again and I am sure you will enjoy the changes!
Hudson, Indiana
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Great Hotel. Good price, Excellent people that work there. Everyone that worked there was very knowledge, helpful. I needed a room right away, called from the vehicle and it was complete in a matter of minutes. We needed a parking place for our vehicle and they helped with that. I will stop again if I am in the area and need a hotel room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sandy R
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for your great review! We hope to see you again when you are in our area!
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Hotel room was spacious and clean and comfortable, although the stairs were a little creaky and the lift was really old. Customer service was really good and the hotel provides high speed WiFi too, which is really good. It is also located in a very good area with lots of stuff to do!

Room Tip: Room facing away from the road are good!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you for your time to provide us with some comments about your recent stay. We are glad to hear yu enjoyed your stay - including our location and our staff in particular. You may not have heard that we will be renovating the hotel and changes are beginning soon. We plan to improve everything including guest rooms, the breakfast room and kitchen, the lobby, the facade, etc... Hopefully you will return to our area so you can stay with us again and experience the changes. On a quick note - the elevator is on a service contract so while it may not be brand new -it is operating efficiently and is quite safe!

Thank you again for your review!
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were in town for a wedding. The only choices were this one and the Townsend, which I wish we would have picked.
First, we were told that check in time was at 3 pm. I called that morning to confirm the reservations and to confirm the check in time. Yes, they told me, please come at 3. We showed up at 3:30, but only 1 of the 2 rooms were ready. The wedding was at 5. The other couple got in at 4:10 to change their clothes.
The hotel is badly in need of updating. It is in 1980's decor and in disrepair. The carpet of the room that had just been "cleaned" was so badly stained that we did not dare take our shoes off. The bath and tub was also so old that what I thought was curly hair in the tub, was actually cracks in the tub! Neither of us would use the tub. We stayed on the 4th floor and every time the air conditioner in the room started during the night, it woke us up. It sounded like a jet engine starting.
I had to plug in a medical machine and realized that the clock radio and bedside lamp was plugged in by an extension cord! So I had to unplug the clock and plug into an extension cord, because no other plugs were available. Forget about plugging in your phone,etc. No extra plugs anywhere, not on the desk, etc.
Went down to the breakfast the next morning. Nutritional board said omelets were made with cheese, No, they had ham in them. We had coffee, a cinnamon roll (which was OK) a yogurt and left.
This is not a cheap hotel. You would think that such an upscale area like Birmingham would have better accommodations around their town. We were not opposed to the price, but expected MUCH better for the area and money. After the wedding we walked to Peabody's Restaurant to eat that evening and that was nice.
We will not be back to stay in Birmingham again. We will stay around Somerset Collection Mall and drive in...

Room Tip: Good luck with this one!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PalmTreeSeeker4ever
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Hello and thank you for your recent review. I deeply regret you were not satisfied with some of the services and facilities we offered. Our check in time is 4:00pm and I will be looking into making sure the staff does not confirm an early check in time when rooms are not available. I will also look into the other issues you mentioned in the particular room you occupied. We do have an electrical power strip on the side of the desk for additional outlet needs of our guests and I am very sorry it was overlooked. If you wish to speak with me further about the details of your stay, please contact me and I can address some of the other items you mentioned. We do have a complete renovation scheduled for this Fall, and it will include the lobby, guest rooms and all other public space - we are very excited about refreshing the entire appearance of the hotel. Thank you again for your time to provide us with your review.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We enjoyed our stay. The front desk staff were excellent and particularly helpful. It's not a 5 star hotel but we stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed it. Breakfast was complimentary and quite adequate. The hotel was very well located within walking distance of restaurants , shops and sopping malls.
It's a great little town Birmingham, we will visit again even though its a long way from Australia.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a fairly busy road so try and get a room further away from the road side. Our room w...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Hello and thank you for your time to provide us with a review on TripAdvisor! We appreciate your patronage, and we are glad to hear to enjoyed your stay! We hope that when your travels do bring you back to our area, you will once again select the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham! We have a renovation scheduled to begin in the Fall and we are excited to refresh the appearance of the entire hotel. Thank you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
The Townsend Hotel
Somerset Inn
Somerset Inn
#11 of 17 in Troy
Kingsley Inn Detroit-Bloomfield Hills
Kingsley Inn Detroit-Bloomfield ...
#1 of 1 in Bloomfield Hills
Hampton Inn & Suites Detroit / Troy

Been to Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham? Share your experiences!