“Very Nice Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is a very nice hotel. It is conveniently located in the suburban (on Woodward Ave.)to the freeways,restaurants,etc.. Metro Airport is approximately 40 minutes drive. The rooms were very nice , comfortable and clean. The staff was very nice and pleasant. The rate was very reasonable. I would return here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for your time to write a review for the Holiday Inn Express in Birmingham! We appreciate your positive comments, and we are happy to hear you enjoyed your accommodations and our location! We take a lot of pleasure in providing service to great customers such as yourself, and please rest assured I will pass along your feedback to our staff. I am also pleased you enjoyed our location and we certainly hope you will choose our hotel again if your travels being you back to our area. Thank you again!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I have stayed in Birmingham many times and always at the Townsend. This hotel represents very good value as it is close to the centre, has clean rooms and friendly staff. There is also convenient free parking.

The downsides - well it is being renovated. The rooms currently are a little dated, the breakfast is a bit of a carb fest and if you are used to the high life you won't find it here.

On balance a great place to stay because it is clean and do close to Birmingham which has everything you need.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham. We are so pleased to learn you enjoyed our location, staff and room cleanliness! I am glad you noted the renovation going on! We are almost complete with two floors of guest rooms, and after the guest rooms are completed, we will begin work on the lobby and other public spaces. We appreciate the chance to serve as your host for this visit and hope you will choose us again when your travles bring you to the Birmingham area! Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed at this location while visiting Detroit for a company Christmas party. The location is great for getting to several places on foot. The property is well kept and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Hello and Happy New Year! Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express for your visit to the Detroit area! We hope you enjoyed the Christmas party you were attending and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and your stay! We deeply appreciate your positive comments, and hope you will return when your travels bring you back!

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I was in Birmingham on business the week of October 28th. The hotel is on Woodward Avenue and is conveniently located within walking distance to the downtown core. The rooms are large and spacious abd the rates were affordable. At first glance it would appear that the majority of travelers were there for business purposes. The room rate includes free wi-fi access and full breakfast.
The only downsides to this hotel was that in some aspects it had been modernised, in other aspects it had been neglected. There was an abundance of floral prints within my room (drapes, wallpaper in the bathroom) and even fake plants in my room above my bed. I also noticed that the carpets were badly stained in some areas.
This hotel has the potential to become a boutique hotel (like The Opus in Vancouver) with the inclusion of some modern touches .

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hello and thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham for your recent stay. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our location. Our proximity to Birmingham shopping, dining and night life is something we are very proud to offer. Our property improvements have begun! The exterior has been painted, and the kitchen renovated. Soon to follow the guest rooms and public space. We hope if you travel back to our area you will once again include the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham in your plans. Thank you for your time to provide a review.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

While the property was undergoing some modest upgrading, our five-day stay in October 2013 was very pleasant. The staff could not have been more courteous or helpful—they seem very customer-focused. The breakfast room was clean and spacious; breakfast offerings were diverse and reliably tasty. The room was clean and well-tended every day. Overall, a terrific package!

Room Tip: Best facing north, off Woodward Avenue, for quietest room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Please accept my sincere thanks for the wonderful review of our hotel, services and staff! Our service is so important and I have passed your comments onto the staff with my thanks for a job well done! It is truly a pleasure to have such wonderful guests such as yourself, and we hope your travels will ring you back to our area in the future. Again - thank you for your time and for the very positive feedback. Please contact me if I may be of any assistance.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed here for a couple of weeks in summer of 2012 as I needed accessibility to Birmingham downtown without having to keep looking for a cab.

Service was all right - the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included and it was OK (no healthy options though), but the thing I liked best was the free Wi-Fi - fast enough without many interruptions.

That said, the hotel is old and some of the rooms / bathrooms are not that well maintained or in need for refurbishing. A moldy smell persists at a lot of places. Better value for money can be had by staying a little farther and driving to downtown (this is what all of my colleagues did after staying here for less than a week). The thermostat wasn't working in my first room (I didn't notice until a few days) so I had to shift rooms. In the second room, the noise from the heating unit made it a challenge to get sleep but I persisted as I wasn't in a mood to unpack and shift everything another time.

If some renovation has been done since the time I was there, I think this hotel provides an acceptable option being on Woodward Ave and next to downtown without being too expensive.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DarkArchon
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Hello and thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay back in October of 2012! We appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff, our wifi and our location!
Our renovation project has begun and will result in the improvements needed. Already the exterior painting and the kitchen have been renovated, and we are looking forward to updating the rooms and public space. Please give us a try when you are in our area again and I am sure you will enjoy the changes!

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Great Hotel. Good price, Excellent people that work there. Everyone that worked there was very knowledge, helpful. I needed a room right away, called from the vehicle and it was complete in a matter of minutes. We needed a parking place for our vehicle and they helped with that. I will stop again if I am in the area and need a hotel room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandy R
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you for your great review! We hope to see you again when you are in our area!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
The Townsend Hotel
Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy
Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Troy
Homewood Suites Detroit Troy
Hampton Inn & Suites Detroit / Troy

Been to Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham? Share your experiences!