“Great Weekend Stay”

Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were in Birmingham, MI for the Dream Cruise and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. This was not my first stay at this location, but I do believe there was a new manager this time around. The room was very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. Overall, my stay was comfortable and exactly what I would expect from this hotel. Well done Holiday Day Inn!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Lisa G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Stephanie S.:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was! We love hearing that our guests have enjoyed their time. We very much appreciate your patronage to our hotel as we know that you have many hotel accommodation choices. We have had some new and exciting changes and we are looking forward to what's next. Thank you for being a part of our family and spending your Dream Cruises with us!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Unfortunately, the fire alarms at this property are set off by a small amount of steam and are poorly located immediately outside of the bathroom. When you take a hot shower, the fire alarms go off. It truly is ridiculous. I heard other guests' fire alarms going off as well! My fire alarm went off for 20 minutes while staff kept trying to turn it off remotely. I was told by management that this is a known issue and that they are "working on it". However, looking at prior reviews of the property, it looks like this has been going on for a while, and nothing has been done to remedy the situation. There are no fans in the bathroom. While one window does open, it does not enable enough air circulation to remedy the situation. Had I known about this issue, I doubt I would have stayed here. The hotel overall seemed dingy and overpriced for what you get. The location was nice, however, and it is easy an easy walk from the property to downtown Birmingham.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear acystacey07,

I appreciate that you took the time to leave a review about our property. It is pleasing to know that our location was suitable for your needs. However, I'd like to extend my apologies for any inconvenience the fire alarms' condition may have caused. This will definitely be addressed to ensure similar instances are avoided in the future.

We are hoping you can give us another opportunity to host you again and make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Elevator was filthy, that should have been my first clue. Bathroom was very dirty. The floor, shower, door and walls were visibly very dirty. I wrote a note to the maid and their was improvement. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear AJS5367,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. It is good to know that after some initial issues you encountered, this was rectified quickly by the hotel staff. However, I would like to apologize that our housekeeping service and the cleanliness of the areas of the hotel fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our guests enable us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Comfortable, clean hotel. Great location -- easy walk to Birmingham's shops and restaurants. Bring your own sheets. The hotel sheets -- a poor quality muslin, slipped off the bed and we found ourselves sleeping on the bare mattress when we awoke. When I complained, the hotel did put on a new set of sheets -- but we didn't want to take a chance and used my mother's sheets (she lives nearby and we were visiting) for the next two nights. That said, and aside from the mattress being too soft, the stay was very good.

Room Tip: Request the back -- so you don't hear the music coming out of speakers in the front. Also, for...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Cashmere 2002:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We appreciate your choosing to stay with us as we know that you have many options! We are happy that you found our location enjoyable and the stay comfortable. We are sorry to hear of the inconvenience with the sheets. Please know that we are coming to the end of our renovations and this is an issue that will be rectified upon completion. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to ensure you of this in the future!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Due to A/C issue we had switch our room at 3am. A screw seemed to come loose in the unit and it was making a large clanking noise. Went down to front desk at 3:30am. Very apologetic and told us we can switch rooms and take care of moving our things in the am. He assured us our rate would be adjusted and we would not charged for the night but that he was unable to adjust the bill. He would leave a note for the day staff and it would be taken care of for us. When we went to check out, we were charged for the first night stay and also not at the right rate for the second night (we were part of a wedding block). I went and spoke with the front staff and she clearly was able to see that we switched rooms but again she was unable to adjust the bill and like the gentleman the day before, assured us when management came in, it would be taken care of and we would receive an email confirmation with the adjusted bill. Well, it never happened. I contacted the hotel THREE times and left messages for the manager. I never received a call back. I then contacted cooperate and they assured me that they would contact hotel management and I would hear back from the hotel directly within 48 hours - it never happened. Cooperate actually sent me an email suggesting I dispute the charge with my credit card company. This is what I will be doing today. Such a shame that this happened. BEWARE - do not fall for the "it will be taken care of" if you have issues with your bill! Very unprofessional of the management not return phone calls.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank timrobb
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear timrobb,

Regards,

Karen C

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Recently my husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham for two nights while attending wedding festivities. We were very pleased with our experience at this location. The room was in a quite corner. The room looked like it had be up-dated recently. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet had a nice variety of hot and cold choices.

Room Tip: Ask to have a corner room away from the elevator and ice machine.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for your review! It is always a pleasure to serve as host for such wonderful guests such as yourself! Glad to hear you enjoyed your time in our area! Please come back and see us again when the need for hotel lodging in the Birmingham area arises!

Peggy Desrosier

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed two nights and found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. The rooms were clean. The location was great with easy walking distance to downtown Birmingham. I would definitely stay again. The hotel is reasonably priced and even though it is on a major street, we did not notice any noise. The breakfast was to Holiday Inn standards. This 200 character minimum is a pain.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hello! Thank you for your very positive review! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms clean and the breakfast to be along the standards of a Holiday Inn Express! We do have an incredible location! We hope you will choose the Holiday Inn Express again when your travels bring you back to our area! Thank you again!

Peggy Desrosier

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
The Townsend Hotel
Somerset Inn
#11 of 17 in Troy
Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Troy
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit North - Troy

Been to Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham? Share your experiences!