“Boyne Mountain overpriced”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Redford, Michigan
“Boyne Mountain overpriced”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

There were 5 children and 2 adults. I was highly dissapointed in the condo we stayed in. The place was so outdated for the price we paid. Some of the lights didn't work and the place smelled of mildew. The children enjoyed the waterpark. If i had known that the condo was like that we could have stayed at a hotel of the property.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Reception had no record of my payment, so the clerk had to call my office and several of her own offices. She eventually just pushed the key over the counter toward me while she was still on the phone.

No elevator in the "Edelweiss" building--drag your own bags up the cramped stairwell. Knobs/locks on the room doors are bed/bath interior locksets--completely unsuitable for hotel rooms (I can't believe they meet the building code for hotels.) Room decor makes "dated" seem like an upgrade--it is suicidally depressing. The room feels like a cell in a psych hospital. Not even a bedskirt--exposed metal frames. Beat-up forty-year-old furniture, stains and scars on everything. Walls are institutional seafoam green and dirty as hell. TV is ancient and tiny. Bathroom is reasonably clean but tiny and ugly. I think the fixtures are older than I am, and I am not a spring chicken. The chair I am currently sitting in seems to have missing parts; wobbles and has unraveling upholstery.

Well, the carpet seems new-ish and the room is adequately sized, but that doesn't quite make up for the grungy feel of the place. I'll take a few Prozac and maybe it will seem nicer.

Room Tip: The Edelweiss building will make you want to kill yourself.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Jason_KZ_MI

Travellers are raving about these Boyne Falls hotels

Midland, mi
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We use to go to Boyne Mountain twice a year on Summer and Winter time. Each time is a real pleasur but we can do a lot of activities, for kids and for adults. The location is gorgeous, the personal very pleasant. The waterpart is a big plus when the weather is no nice.

1 Thank Grenoblemi
Ludington
Reviewed 11 September 2011

When we walked in the condo we were disappointed. The establishment not only needs some major updating but some pride as well. The place was clean and provided a fully stocked kitchen but it still wasn't worth the price. The bed was comfortable but a good night sleep was ruined by an air conditioner that would wake you up from a dead sleep because it was so loud......and unfortunately it was too hot and stuffy to not have it on. We had fun at the water park and on the zip line but next time we would not stay at Boyne itself.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hjeldon
Michigan
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed at Boyne Mountain on labor day weekend. There were about a dozen of us. My husband, kids and I stayed in a hotel room while my mom, sisters and their families stayed in a condo. Our room in the Clock Tower was great - you can tell it had been remodeled recently. The condo was quite the opposite - the paint was crumbling, the design outdated and there was only a wall air conditioner for a four bedroom condo.

We took advantage of the waterpark, the zipline tour, and golf. Our family enjoyed the waterpark, the slides were great and their was a lot of room to move around. There were parts that needed updated, such as painting and general cleaning. Also, my family has been to 10 different waterparks and this one had the worst lifeguards - there were very few and they seemed disinterested most of the time...not very safe for a place with a ton of kids. The zipline adventure was great - the guides were fabulous and the ziplines were a blast! We also golfed the Alpine which was a very nice course and ate at the Trophy Room. The food was great - highly recommend the pizza! Overall Boyne was very nice and we will go there again, especially for the waterpark feature. I hope they remodel the rest of the property to bring it into the 21st century.

3 Thank GreatLakesBeauty
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I was kinda nervous reading all the reviews that were on here about the elderwiess here at Boyne. And to be quite honest what I have read (negitive comments) are completly wrong. We stayed three nights and the beds were amazing !! The service was great and the rooms were clean! *no spiders* now granted the rooms are not no grand lodge. With all the newer ammedities but its good enough and the prices are a ton better! If you are one of those people who like to stay in the hotel room and have all the ammendities this hotel is not for you but if you are like us and are out enjoying Boyne and all it has to offer this is perfect for you. It just depends on what you personally like. But my trip to Boyne and elderwiess was nothing but wonderful!!

We will be back again in the summer and winter!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank megzi12
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I think boyne is an aquired taste. We travel all over but spend three to four long weekends a winter at boyne. The improvements at boyne mountain are terrific. The rooms at the mt lodge are beautiful. But I cannot think of a place that I feel less welcome at checkin or by hotel staff than any property at boyne. But we overlook it because the experiences we have with our family in the winter can't be beat. It is kind of like going to your grumpy grandpa's home. You love them, you can't wait to get back but you have to overlook their bad attitude and bad decorating and musty smell (the older properties unfortunately are like this but definitely not the newer properties...they are five star!) I feel like I am home every time I pull up. If you are coming for the first time and have no interest in making boyne a regular family destination come during winter for skiing or full summer for golf, stay in one of the new properties, and plan on being pretty self sufficient. Otherwise you probably will have a negative experience- because you just won't get it like so many families over multiple generations have come to love.

• Stayed February 2011
Stafford's Perry Hotel
Stafford's Perry Hotel
#2 of 15 in Petoskey
Bluegreen Vacations Mountain Run at Boyne, an  Ascend Resort

Been to Boyne Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!