“Mislead”

Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I booked my hotel reservation months ago and purposely booked the water park. I am told now that the park is NOT included in my already quoted and paid for reservation. I called to talk about the mistake and they basically told me I was "WRONG". I am not at all happy with this service and would think a resort would treat their customers better. I will not be staying at this property again and do not recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Stacey C

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I know this is a long review but I think it is important for people to grasp the problems we faced.

We always enjoyed Boyne a lot before we had children. We decided to take our 7 and 3 year old to Boyne for Avalance Bay for a last minute spring break trip. We decided on Boyne since we knew that they had great service. When we first pulled up the bell hops and valet did an awesome job. They knew our reservation and room number when given our name. Jason at the front desk did an awesome job and even got us a late checkout for the next day. The bell hop got our bags and entertained the kids all the way to the room. He was first class. There was some confusion with my truck and where it was parked but the valet and bell hop took care of it without even being asked. The entire hotel staff, from the maintenance people to the lady in the gift shop, made my family feel welcome and made sure the kids had a great time. The water park was entertaining for the two kids also.

However, if you are planning on being able to walk right in and eat, don't. It was a busy weekend with a lot of groups and spring breakers at the hotel. I knew this when I checked in and saw the list of events and groups that the hotel was welcoming. Apparently the hotel food and beverage people could not realize the same.

Friday night at Everett's we had dinner. From the hostess to the bartender they did a great job and again focused on the kids. Greatly appreciated. The restaurant was offering a prime rib dinner which I ordered. The offer went from 5-9 p.m. We were there at 7 p.m. They were already out of everything but the prime rib. No shrimp, no pasta. The chef told me to get the prime rib now because it was the last of it. He also informed me the shrimp was gone since he only ordered 4 pounds for the night. Really? A booked hotel, lots of people, the only restaurant in the hotel and you only ordered four pounds? No sorry, no can we get you anything else, just plain tough luck. The waitress felt horrible.

Breakfast was included. The thirty minute wait was not at 10 a.m. NOT a good morning with two tired kids that were hungry. Worked in the hotels favor since I bought a stuffed animal for my 3 year old out of the gift shop to stop her from screaming through the whole lobby. We watched as the hostess took tables of 5 over us and another group of four until I finally said something. Then we were seated within minutes.

When I asked to see the breakfast menu the waitress informed me that I was only entitled to the buffet. I informed her I understood this but I would like to see the menu in case I wanted to order something else and pay for it. Her tone was horrible and made it seem as if I was intruding by wanting to order something besides the buffet. When my family got to the buffet they had to wait in line for 10 minutes before getting food. Then once they were able to get a plate there weren't any. Took a couple minutes to get plates, which did not matter since the line was not moving since people were standing waiting for pancakes and bacon to be brought out. Food was good once it made it out.

Then in the water park there is a snack shop. The 3 year old wanted an ice cream cone and a drink. I got the ice cream and juice out of the cooler and got in line. It took 20 minutes to pay for the juice and ice cream. I actually swapped out the ice cream for a new one since the one I had melted. The problem was that there were two registers but only one open. Which I did not understand. Two people working one register was not efficient in this case. I then decided to get a beer from the bar attached to the water park right next door to the snack shop. Walked in with the 3 year old to get it and found two people working the bar. They were helping one person, but I also noticed one of the people sitting at the bar had an empty glass. After about 10 minutes of being ignored, along with the person with the empty glass, the bartender said he would be with me in a minute. I opened the ice cream for the 3 year old. I then learned it was the bartenders last day, he was excited to go home and watch the UM game and party, while he talked with some people. 5 minutes later the bartender then went and started inputting something into the computer. I asked if I could order a beer and the bartender, he informed me he would be with me in a minute. The person at the bar, with the empty glass, got up and left. I followed suit. I understand when it is busy, it was not.

The water park was entertaining for the kids, but finding a place to sit or put your stuff it tough. The locker rooms need serious attention during the day. They were pretty gross by mid day. The towels were plentiful and always available. The staff of the water park did an awesome job otherwise.

The kids had a lot of fun, but if I am going to take them to a water park I will not be bringing them back here. We skipped lunch on the second day and just left early to eat in Boyne City where we got great service and the food we ordered.

Bottom Line: If you are traveling with small children to a water park and plan to eat on site, bypass this one. I will spend the extra money to go to Great Wolf Lodge. When we have been there we have never had a problem, no matter how busy they were.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the slopes. Great view. Also fill out the special request section. They met...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Marc42499
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

We came to Boyne over spring break. The Mountain Grand Lodge is a nice resort. Unfortunately, in Michigan, we don't have a lot of choices.
We stayed in a double queen room and they gave us 2 roll aways for our kids. We also had a sink and a refrigerator to use which was very helpful. Our room ran about $235 per night. We had loud neighbors but security called them around midnight to ask them to quiet down.
Avalanche Bay water park is connected to the hotel. My kids loved it! It was absolutely packed because of spring break so I was miserable there. There is also an indoor/outdoor heated pool at the Lodge, but again, most of the time it was packed with people.
My husband had a massage at the spa. He really enjoyed it. The girl at the desk was snooty which was a real turn off for me. She also explained that if my husband wanted his hands and feet included in the massage he had to pay for that separately. So we payed $205 plus 15% gratuity for about a 85 minute massage. It did give him access to the spa all day which had a steam room, sauna and workout room.
We ate in the restaurant here, Everett's. it was expensive and the food was very average. There are a lot of great restaurants in Petosky that would be a much better choice in my opinion. Also, The Lake Street Market in Boyne City has excellent sandwiches, pizza and baked goods!
There are lots of things to do at Boyne and the facilities are nice. My conclusion would be I would recommend a visit but not over spring break or other busy holiday break!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Lhubb123
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I spent 3 nights here with my son for spring break. The first several days were quite pleasant - people were leaving to head home for Easter so it wasn't too crowded. It is footsteps away from the lifts, so it was great for access. We stayed in a King suite - it was spacious, had a fridge and microwave. The bedroom was upstairs in what could best be described as a windowless attic - quite claustrophobic and had I known, I probably would have stuck to a traditional king room. The spa tub in the bedroom spit out black junk - disgusting! I understand how that happens with spa tubs, but at an expensive resort like this, you'd think they would clean out the tubs regularly.

Our next door neighbors had about 8 people jamming their room, so it was nice and noisy all night. Again, for big city hotel prices you should get better soundproofing. The food is mediocre at best, and downright awful at worst. The omlettes at breakfast are the only thing worth eating.

Room keeping was uneven - great one day, sloppy and horrible the next as they only serviced part of the suite.

The pool was great, the gym was fine, the spa was lovely.

Did I mention packed to the gills with very young children?

I would stay here again, but I would reset my expectations, not get the breakfast, and downscale my room because the big room meant noisy as hell crowded rooms right next door!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Do not opt for the included breakfest it was awful and waited 20 minites for a buffet, the main nice restarant was closed all week, except saturday, so everyone in this huge complex must treck over to this tiny room. so I hope you like over priced bar food. The ski hill was nice, and the room was also. However the waterpark is attached to this Hotel which means the water park familes are abundant and they provde a special class of atmosphare to an expected ski resort. The name should say Waterpark Grand Hotel. The Hotel pool (not waterpark) was too nice for this place with heated stone tile and a heated pool to 95 degrees full of kids.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Water park is so clean and fun! Warm temp for swimmers! Indoor outdoor pool in seperate location...had a great room with a fun bunkbed area, living room, kitchen, and two masters. Very clean...hotel food was pricey and not so great...but good experience overall. Canoes and beach, paddle boats two seconds away. I loved the lazy river, kids loved the slides and surf!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank stacy y
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I have always wanted to stay at the "hotel" part of this resort but it was not as sweet as expected!! The decor was boring; the ambiance was childish; and we were lied to on the phone. We ski here often. We have stayed at the condos here and were NOT impressed so we stayed at the hotel this time. It was nothing spectacular. We were told on the phone that I could get a credit if I decided not to ski...they wouldn't let me. We were told we get a microwave, we didn't get one, but, eventually they sent one up. On the other hand, there were many things to do even if you didn't ski. The spa was awesome! Yoga, awesome. Pool, awesome. Horse ride, good.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 9 in Charlevoix
Boyne Mountain Resort
Boyne Mountain Resort
#1 of 4 in Boyne Falls

Been to Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!