“Fun for all ages, even if you don't ski”

Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I want to start out and say I won this vacation from Coke in their My Coke Rewards contest. It was about 7 hours from my house, but 2 nights including water parks is something my family enjoys. We arrived the day after Thanksgiving, and checked in. We had a nice room, right down from the water park. The waterpark is smaller than some we have been to, but was nice, as it was not crowded, and you could get on their slides without a wait. They have a new slide that just opened last week, and my kids (14 & 11) enjoyed it. I also enjoyed walking out and seeing people ski. The indoor/outdoor pool was nice, heated to 90 when it was in the 30s outside. Will plan to return in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Dennis T

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Our foursome stayed here in September for only three days this time for golf. This being our 3rd time here. I can only speak for the golf but can tell you the courses available are always in great shape and the clubhouse operations are run like a clock. The starters and marshalls are very friendly as well. We stay in one of the log chalets on the mountain and even though you are on a road lined with the chalets you have a sense of being alone and its very quiet. We only opted for a plan with breakfast this time which the buffet style never dissappoints. Dinners we found are quite reasonably priced as well. All in all I would definately recommend Boyne Mountain (for golf anyway! lol )

Room Tip: Stay away from the lodge and grab a chalet in the woods!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed at Mountain Grand Lodge for 2 nights with my daughter as she was playing in a soccer tournament in Petoskey. Check-in was fine, but when we got to the room - no sheets for the pull out sofabed. We had to wait 20 minutes and called several times before the sheets arrived (it was late and my daughter wanted to get to sleep as we had to get up at 6:15 for an early game).

On the second day - the remote control stopped working on the TV (dead batteries). Again, we had to call a few times - and when they did come, they brought the wrong size batteries. (If their remotes take different sizes, wouldn't they ask or just bring AA and AAA?).

The TV was very poor quality picture - quite fuzzy on all channels - Flat Screen but didn't seem to be Hi Def --- (we wanted to watch the Mich/Notre Dame game so a clear picture would have been nice).

The pull-out sofa was NOT very comfortable - we've had much better.

The maid put the bed back into the sofa when she did our room - I mean if we wanted to have the bed put away - wouldn't we have done it ourselves?? We were only there to sleep !

The lighting in the room is very strange - there are like 10 lights - but none of them give off much light - a spot light here, a dim lamp there - it took awhile to turn on an off lights!

We really hoped for a few extra hours on our checkout time since we had a late game on Sunday - but they wouldn't do it for us.

The property and area around the lodge is very nice - but I was really disappointed that there is no place to run/jog around there. I ran on the side of the road. The road that goes in front of the lodge and up into the woods has NO SIDEWALK or path next to it....would have made it a lot easier to jog around there. There is grass for as far as the eye can see - but they can't put in a path next to the road? (Who wants to run on a treadmill on a 75 Deg nice day?).

On a positive note, I found the waitstaff at the Pizza place and pub/grill in the water park to be extremely friendly.

All in all - it's an attractive place - but for almost $500 for two nights, I just had too many frustrations to recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Steven W
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed in regular room for 2 night last week and were blown away by all the amenities and things to do with the kids! We purchased the waterpark and breakfast package, Avalanche Bay is small (compared to Kalahari), however we absolutely loved it since there is no waiting in line and I could sit and watch my boys run around and not have to partake in the wetness... My boys are 9 and 10 and after our stay they begged me to make a repeat visit this winter to ski and next summer for fun. During the day we spent our time at the beautiful Petoskey State Park (just a 20-30 min drive), the water is beautiful and warm since it resides in Little Traverse Bay and the city is a little gem. We went into Boyne City for dinner a night but there is a lot of dining options as well at the Mountain Lodge, we ate at one of the restaurants and the pizza was spectacular! We enjoyed the chair lift ride, hay ride and roasting s'mores (all included) BUT my boys LOVED the zip lining ($20 for 2x) was worth letting them try to see if they would want to do the bigger course next year - which is another reason they wish to return! We did not have time for evening entertainment since it was hard to get them out of the waterpark and they didn't want their faces painted but 2 nights was not enough, we could have done another especially when the weather is nice and we enjoyed the beach during the day and waterpark in the evening....

*Pre-purchase the breakfast with your package, its amazing and otherwise it's $17 an adult!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Our three bedroom suite was beautiful with a view of a pond and one of the lifts and ski runs. The room was very clean and decorated like a Swiss mountain lodge. This is quite a change from the previous night at the resort when we stayed in the Mountain Villas. The Mountain Villas are very run down and in need of updating and thorough cleaning. I understand there are a few nice ones, but ours was one of the worst places I have ever stayed. Not so in the Grand Lodge. The entire facility was well maintained and the staff was very courteous and helpful. A BIG thanks to George who helped my family move from the other condo and get situated. We are very pleased with this facility although I will admit I was surprised by the small bath towels as at least one other person posted.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gene M
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My 19-year-old daughter and I stayed here during a summer two-night "girls birthday getaway" that included a wonderful spa day at Solace Spa (reviewed separately) at the Mountain Grand Lodge.

Please note, there is nothing "bad" about this property. It sports a great location and works perfectly for all kinds of families. Friendly and unpretentious, it offers a small village at the foot of the mountain where you can find the traditional ice cream, chocolate, sporting goods and sportswear shops that seem to populate such areas. It is cute and, at least in the summer, also includes games on the lawn for families. And the chair life operates in the summer, allowing visitors to get a great view of the surrounding area. Everyone was very friendly, and I cannot say enough good things about Kayla, the desk employee who checked us in very pleasantly and went above and beyond to straighten out a spa package for us.

As for the rooms, they are large, quiet, and comfortable, with two different types of pillows so you can choose what works best for you. They also include what I think is a relatively new feature here, a high-efficiency room lighting system. What's interesting, though, is despite the key-operated compact fluorescent bulbs and note asking guests to use a soft disposable cloth rather than towels for removing make-up -- both clearly eco-friendly initiatives -- there is no note about reusing towels. We dutifully hung up our towels, which were replaced during housekeeping service. Oh well.

Just the minor things that could use updating:
the old tube-style TV, although, admittedly, we did not even turn it on.
window coverings that had hooks missing (and thus did not close completely) and that were dirty.
HORRIBLE water pressure in the shower that also took nearly five minutes to heat up.
additional/more easily accessible electrical outlets.

Still, we enjoyed our stay and, if back in the area, would likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near one of the elevators. If you are on the end, like we were, it is a very long wal...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie Ann M
Reviewed 23 July 2013

First Class accomodations lots to see and do
Beautiful spa and pool
Mountain side stay at hotel includes free lift tickets for hillside
Great hay rides and to top it off the water park avalanche bay
highly recommend lots of fun for the kids

Room Tip: Make sure to request view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 4 in Boyne Falls
Boyne City Motel
Boyne City Motel
#1 of 1 in Boyne City

Been to Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!