“Great Escape”
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Beach,grasses,Blue jay trail sign.JPG
Path to beach with lake.JPG
Living Room
Front Patio View
Studio Patio 1.9.1.09
Studio Bath
Kitchen
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 24 reviews

Reviews from our community

Peasantgi...
Findlay, Ohio
“Not as nice as pictures lead you to believe”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 for a stay in July 2014

Bathtub broken and not repaired while we were there, leaving us 1 shower for four adults
Owner never returned phone calls.
We arrived well after 4 pm check in and housekeeper was still there cleaning.
She left towels in dryer for us to fold.
Floors could use a good mopping
Mini blinds were filthy and broken.
No cover on hot tub. Screens torn on porch allowing bugs to end up floating dead in uncovered hot tub.
We also found a lot of dog fur on comforters. Had to wash them before we could use them.
This place wasn't worth the price that we paid!

Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
14 Aug 2014
The tub shower combination has been fixed.It is a European tub and takes a long time to get parts.I don't recall not responding to a call. I am very responsive.
Also my house manager who lives up there leaves her card and comes on a moments notice. The screens are massive and birds run into them. We are constantly replacing them but are not able to do it after each guest.
We do spring cleaning and fall deep cleaning when we clean blinds and all the casework. Yes, some of the blinds are bent because of use but they still look good and operate fine. I took the cover off the hot tub for the summer to make it easier for the guests.The floors are clean and the house manager gets high ratings from guests.I do need to get the great room floors redone. They have had alot of traffic!!But that doesn't mean they are not clean.
IL
Reviewed 4 October 2013 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
blutang
Chicago, Illinois
“Great home and location!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 for a stay in September 2013
person found this review helpful

Lodge was a great space with plenty of room. Kitchen was stocked with everything you need for cooking, and the enclosed porch was perfect for dining and relaxing in the hot tub.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: enclosed porch with hot tub
Liked least: Pet hair throughout the floors upon arrival
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
Rebecca L
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
“A nice place to stay for the value.”
Reviewed 2 September 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

The house is a nice place to stay, with two full bathrooms. The location is off the Red Arrow Highway which is close to the lake, shopping and in the middle of many locations. There is an array of dinning and shopping options in the area. My favorite place to eat out would be Soes. It is a little on the moderately priced side but when you see the portions you understand why, dinners are easily shared. It is located to the left of the house on the Red Arrow Highway at the first light. Shopping in Bridgman for regular foods and goods are affordable and where the locals seem to shop. Sawyer has a produce market that has a nice selection of everything from food to house wares and clothing. The little meat market on The Red Arrow highway about a 1.25 miles down the road is wonderful. Three Oaks has some nice little boutiques and shops and antique shops and galleries are everywhere off the highway. I thought the location was a plus not a negative. As for the Lake, the area is beautiful and the beaches and sunsets are some of the best I have seen on either coast. The lake is honestly a long hike but for healthy adults and teens, doable. Driving to either beach is easy, go right or left and you are there in minutes. Even a rainy day walk on the beach is relaxing. At the end of the day when we returned to the house we were able to cook a meal in a completely stocked kitchen, rare for a rental. Yes, bring trash bags, napkins and toilet paper and anything else you may need if you are there for an extended stay. The frig is clean and ready to go. We ate most of our meals on the screened in back porch. It has a large dining table as well as a sofa and chair for relaxing in front of the fireplace, as it cools down by the lake a little more than in the city. The beds are firm but in good shape with fresh linens. From some previous reviews I think some have expected a hotel setting and not a beach rental, this is a very normal beach rental. The home is nicely decorated and yes shows some wear but still in nice shape. I am sure next season when I plan on returning things will be refreshed and ready to go for a new season. Again, as someone has stated bring some candles or stringed lights like we did, it gave us a nice festive vacation feel. The hot tub is spa like after dark. Go out back and look up into the night sky, it is so different from the city sky. I was thrilled every time I saw a shooting star. Lastly, it's not so much about being inside, put on some bug spray and take flashlights and go for a group walk on the trail head, kids will love this! Take the one that goes to the flat wooded section of the woods off to the right, you don't have to go too far in, maybe stop at a fork stand and just turn back. But if you do walk it through it does loop back on to Floral lane. It is so peaceful under the canopy of trees and rarely do you get to see what it is like in the woods after dark, I liken it to scuba diving opposed to just sitting in a boat on the water. We went to get away and get out in the surrounds and enjoyed it so much.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The screened in porch and of course the lake.
Travelling group: Large Group
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Large groups
Buckfevr
Vernon Hills, Illinois
“Spacious, great location, awesome enclosed deck with hot tub.”
Reviewed 9 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

The external facade is definitely deceiving, but once we entered we were pleasantly surprised. It has a definite beach house feel to it, the wood floors show a little wear, but it kinda works none the less. Nice bright colors, some nice tile work through out. The layout is very spacious. And the spacious enclosed deck with the hot tub, surrounded by nature is a real treat. Bring some candles, you want to be out there at night it's awesome. I will say that the walk to the beach is rather vigorous having to scale up and down those dunes. If you're fit though it takes you to probably the very nicest portion of the Warren Dunes beach front, away from the crowds and a very pristine feel to it. Alternatively just drive to Warren dunes state park just south on Red arrow highway pay the $8.50 for a day pass park on the northern most parking lot and take the 20 minute walk north at least once to take in this portion of Warren Dunes, it's just amazing.

Easy access to the hiking trails from the rental for sure.

As for the comments on the bugs, when I was growing up my uncles had a blueberry farm a few miles east on Gast road, so I'm familiar with the region having spent much time here. The soil here is sandy and the type of bugs here are well equipped at making their way into dwellings. This property was on the low end of what you can reasonably expect in terms of bugs in this region. As far as the Landscaping comments, again this is very sandy soil, it was always a challenge for us to grow any kind of grass in this soil. That it's on Red Arrow Highway for me is a plus, very easy access to everything.

I would agree with the comments on the moth balls, that smell was a bit of a negative, but the owner is in the process of correcting this and I'm sure by next year this will be a non issue.

Eric's cafe for breakfast is a local gem as is the bakery across the street in Bridgman. In August on Gast road south of snowe road, Rambo has u pick blueberries, and at many of the little farmhouse stands the local peaches are to die for. Later in early September the local Golden Delicious apples are as tasty as it gets. The locally grown watermelon is interesting as well. If you're in on a weekend there is a farmer's market in town.

The area is timeless and really hasn't changed much in the 35 years since I was teenager and would spend the summers and weekends on my Uncles' farm. I even managed a haircut from the same barber that used to cut their hair, only difference is he moved to legion street. Talk to the locals, here things are very much as they used to be.

Travelling with teenagers and this property made our stay very comfortable. Hope to book it again next year, probably for a little longer.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The spacious enclosed deck.
Liked least: The Moth ball smell
Travelling group: Teenagers
Recommended for:
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
IA
Reviewed 2 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway
IssitaTra...
Chicago, Illinois
“Great stay but with bugs.....”
Reviewed 22 July 2013 for a stay in July 2013

The house was as promised - we had a lovely stay. Here are some negative and positives. Overall for the price, what was promised, and the location, I wold recommend staying here again.

Positives: 1) The renovations were new, and it was a great beachy house. We played music, played games, used the AWESOME hot tub, and you could walk to the dunes. We had 10 people, and we just fit.
2) It was conveniently located near the dunes, but we chose to drive and not walk through the woods and up/down the dunes.
3) The outdoor deck that is screened in was awesome. We were able to relax and really enjoy ourselves.

Negatives: 1) There were bugs with multiple legs and spiders on the floor in the the beds. Maybe 3-5 per room. Maybe this is to be expected with a house in MI near the woods though
2) Some people had problems with the GPS and were unable to find it easily as the GPS said to go the incorrect way on Red Arrow Highway.
3) There were hundreds of mothballs everywhere outside to keep away critters, but it smelled like mothballs inside and outside.
4) The beds were good, but the couches, pullouts, and the rollaway had multiple bugs on them so we choose to invest in blowup beds in stead - I would recommend the same for anyone else staying there.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the hot tub in the screened in porch
Liked least: the bugs everywhere
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway
Management Response
22 Jul 2013
I never had a comment about bugs so this came as complete shock to me. I have never witnessed bugs myself anymore than the normal bugs one encounters from time to time in their own homes. This was a young group of bachelorettes so perhaps they are a bit squeamish. I know my son complains about a single insect. The mothballs were a short lived experiment on the part of my house manager after seeing a garter snake and hearing some wives tale about mothballs being a deterrent. After research on my own, I determined they don't work and they are not something I want around. So they have been removed.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Make Enquiry
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing