“Great property”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Brighton
North Hollywood
“Great property”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Had a great stay for two nights in August. The room was clean and up to standard for the Marriott brand but I did hate the faucets in the shower. Some funky contraption I have never seen and they had to have printed instructions for it. I invited family to join me at the pool. Didn't like the humidity in the indoor pool. Should have sliding doors to open up for air. They had a notice to keep doors closed for guest that are affected by pollen. Those guest should stay home or not go in the pool. You can't accommodate for all. Accommodate for the majority. It's like making every room an accessible room.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room or remember to close your blinds
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Roger S
julie t, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Brighton, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Hello Roger S,

Thanks so much for the kind words about our property! We are very proud of our hotel and the great staff and appreciate the time you took to write a review.

The humidity in the pool room can be a challenge as the summer in Michigan competes with the temperature of the pool water. We do try to make the room as comfortable as possible during this hot season. I do appreciate your feedback and we will take your recommendation into consideration during the next re-model.

Julie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
chicago illinois
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying that this hotel is very much the cookie cutter variety of Courtyards - nothing special, location off of the highway and built with thin walls. This is not the staffs fault. They were pleasant upon checking in, and the hotel was a flurry of activity as it was sold out and a number of wedding guests were staying. I was there for a family reunion. The rooms were ok - a little worn around the edges but clean, bathrooms standard issue Courtyard - spartan and adequate. When I returned from my event, however, it was as if the hotel had lost control and guests were running the place. I was awakened 4 times by loud music, yelling, profanity and general partying going in the room next to me. I called the desk each time. The last, at 430 in the am, I was beyond pleasant at this point. When I went downstairs in the morning, I expressed my complete displeasure at the hotels failure to deal with this. Other guests were there complaining of the same thing in different parts of the hotel. Apparently the police came to "patrol" the halls. Really? Kick these people out if they can't act civilized. This is a hotel, not a rave. Oh, I am a platinum member and was told I would hear from management about my extreme displeasure. Still haven't. Probably won't. I was also told this always happens when they have weddings. Really? I'm on my 100th night this year, and can't recall a single other time this crazy stuff happened. And apparently it happens all the time here? Word to the wise - check before you come - if there's a wedding in town, think twice. They really don't care that their guests behave badly and do little to stop it. I have family here, but I think I'll choose Ann Arbor the next time.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank lawdogs1
Hello Lawdogs1,

I am sorry that the other guests in the hotel were so disruptive! We do have occasional wedding groups but they are usually as interested as everyone else in getting back to the hotel and getting a good night's sleep. I am sorry that the group was so poorly behaved during your stay. We definitely take our guest's comfort seriously and when a group does not respond we will not hesitate to bring in the proper authorities to assist.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Overall - Overall I would rate this as a decent stay. Wont WOW!!! you but very clean and very nice.

Room - The room was very clean and already cool when we got there. That was a huge plus because it was 90 some degrees outside that day. Good TV Channel selection.

Vending - The didn't include vending machines on each floor. Instead you had to go the little store at the front desk. $6 for a pop and too M&m's!!!

Pool - The pool was very clear but a little on the cool side. It was fine though and it kept the kids entertained.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank souper71
Dear Souper71,

Thank you for the kind words and I am so glad that you had a pleasant stay at our property. I am glad that your kids had fun in the pool!

Milwaukee
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. Room was comfortable and clean. Although I loved walking in and finding that the AC had been running, it was quite cold in the room. We turned down the AC and it never ran again in the one night we were there. The bathroom was clean but average. I was concerned that we would hear noise through the adjoining room doors as a sliver of light could be seen around the doors but fortunately it was quiet. Our room faced the expressway, near the elevator on the third floor, but we had a quiet restful night sleep.

Overall a pleasant stay. I just think overall, the price was way too high for this location/facility/room.

Hotel sign is not real obvious from Grand River Ave as you head from the expressway. The service road that it is on is just passed a Shell gas station (on the right) and between a car dealership and an Arbys (on the left). I missed it the first time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anthony F
julie t, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Brighton, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Hello Tony F, Thank you for taking the time to give feedback to your fellow travelers! We do value your input and will certainly take your comments into consideration. We work very hard to gain the good opinion of our guests and I am pleased that you found our property to be clean and quiet. I am sorry that the signage was not quite adequate and regret that our community will not allow for larger signs along the main road to our entrance.

Portage
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Friendly Staff and clean room. Walking distance to Cracker Barrel and Outback Steakhouse. Showers difficult to work. Have to set water temp on a dual control system; then, pull spout on tub faucet spout in order to get shower to work. What ever happened to hot & cold knob? Other than that a very good hotel for the money. Would recommend it ......good location.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Larry M
Hello Larry M,

Thank you for taking the time to let your fellow travelers know that our hotel is full of friendly faces and for letting everyone know how clean our property is. We so appreciate your feedback and will be sure to post your comments on our bulletin board so the staff can see that they really do make a great impression on our guests!

grand rapids, mi
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Polite service checking in, but was unable to get group/block rate, although they said the deal was good through the day that I was calling. Therefore, I was charged $120 instead of $99. Not only that, but the receipt I signed was for $130 w/ taxes, etc, which is fine, but 2 days later my bank account said $150 was taken out. I called, and they said that 'everyone knows that they do this in case you buy food etc'..., but I didn't buy food, etc and that's not what I knowingly signed for.

Was also awoken at 9:30am after having put a 'do not disturb' sign out the night prior. I then tried the in-room phone on both line 1 and 2, calling directly to the front desk, but it didn't work. When I was checking out, I did formally complain to the front desk about the above issues, but they said, 'we'll look into it', without making me feel re-assured.

Needless to say, they put on a good front, and took my money, but after that, it was all downhill and poor or misunderstood communication.

Room Tip: The rooms aren't bad, but it's not worth the terrible service.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matt T
Hello Matt T,

I am so sorry that you a less than perfect experience with us. I do believe that our staff could have communicated the hold for incidentals policy much more effectively than we did. It is a standard lodging practice but you should have felt more comfortable with the response from our staff. Please accept my apology for this and know that we will use your information as a tool to help train our associates in the future.

Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed at the Brighton Marriott overnight for a wedding. The front desk staff was very efficient and the lobby area is very nice. Our rooms were clean and it was quiet in our area of the hotel. My brother and his wife however, were next to a room that had a dog that howled/whined all night. The brides family provided breakfast and it was slightly above average for a hotel continental breakfast. The hotel is very convenient, right off I-96.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CEL L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighton
Holiday Inn Express Brighton
Baymont Inn & Suites Howell/brighton
Best Western of Whitmore Lake
Best Western of Whitmore Lake
#1 of 1 in Whitmore Lake

Been to Courtyard Detroit Brighton? Share your experiences!