“Adequate 3 star in Grand Rapids”

Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids SW/Byron Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Byron Center
Austin
“Adequate 3 star in Grand Rapids”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

The three star rating is very broadly applied to a number of hotel brands. The Baymont Inn in Grand Rapids is probably at the low end of that range, but nevertheless, a true 3 star. Friendly front desk, but I requested a quite room and was given one on the freeway side, which is a little noisy. It has large clean rooms, comfortable beds, adequate pillows, flat screen TV with normal range of channels, and in-room coffee service. The sink is outside the bathroom, which, along with the street noise, is the least attractive part. On the plus side, there is free wireless internet, and a continental breakfast (juice, coffee, cereal, waffles, and doughnuts) included in the rate; the menu for room service, from the next door restaurant, had reasonable rates.

The hotel is about 10 miles from GRR. There is a closer Baymont Inn to GRR which I accidently went to first, so make sure you have the right one. In the end, perfectly acceptable rooms for a one-night stay in Michigan.

Room Tip: ask for quiet side
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This is one of the best Baymont Inns I have stayed at over the past few years. Nice warm fire going in the lobby fireplace and friendly staff. Lobby, breakfast area, and my room was clean and looked up-dated with a flat screen HD TV in the room. The only negative is that the odd-numbered rooms are on the highway side and the traffic noise can be disturbing when trying to go to bed. There is a sports-bar/restaurant right next to the hotel but unfortunately they are closed on Sunday evenings and there is little else in the area for dining. I had to drive a couple miles down the road to find an Applebee's. A solid chioce for lodging.

Room Tip: Ask for an "even number room" on the east side of the hotel away from the highway.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We were in the area for a basketball tournament and booked this hotel through Priceline. The room was clean, bed comfortable, and breakfast was typical (good) for this type of hotel. I liked how the sink/vanity area was separate from the tub/shower/toilet area. We also enjoyed the hot tub (very large) and pool. (Not so large but fine.) The workout room had a treadmill, stationary bicycle kind of thing and an elliptical machine.

I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Greenville, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2011

My Fiance' and I popped in without reservations was taken care of by Victor, he was wonderful by the way pleasant 110% professional and would bring us back if it was not for the waking up to insect bites all over us in the morning.......And when I say insects I am assuming bed bugs I had several on my chest arms and back shoulder and my fiance' had them on his chest and neck they were very irritating, welted and actually stung throughout the duration of there reaction. Not only does it bother me that they were biting me while I was asleep but that I actually was subjected to sleeping with them. I really planned on being a repeat customer due to the fact of the casino being one of our weaknesses and you having a shuttle starting up in the near future we would have brought you in alot of repeat guests but I am very hesitant since the experience has left us a little bugged out sort to speak........I am a little saddened that it ended our weekend with shall I say irritation and not satisfaction so I will end with not so happy in the end :(

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
grbaymont, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids SW/Byron Center, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Upon being notified of your post on TripAdvisor, I wanted to contact you directly to address any concerns you may have had during your recent stay. I want you to know that management and ownership view cleanliness of our hotel as our number #1 priority and we pride ourselves on consistently ranking as one of the highest in guest room cleanliness throughout the Baymont brand.
I was saddened to learn that your recent stay did not live up to the expectations we have for our hotel. Our hotel has a pest inspection at least once per month and since receiving news of your past experience I have had them do a thorough inspection of the hotel to identify any needs for concern.
If at all possible, please contact me directly so that I can locate and adjust the charges off of your credit card for your last stay as well as work with you to ensure that any future stays are handled personally by me.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know of your stay and I hope that we can earn your return business

Mike McWilliams
Mike.McWilliams@BaymontBC.com
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids South / Byron Center
Milford Center, Ohio
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed at the Baymont Inn & Suites in Byron Center for 2 nights last weekend. We weren't looking for anything fancy, just a cheap and clean place, and this hotel more than fit the bill. Easy access to the freeway meant we could be in Grand Rapids quickly. The staff was friendly and helpful - we got our room through one of the auction websites, which usually means we get a room with 2 queen beds. The guy at the front desk gave us a King instead, which we really appreciated. The room itself was clean and functional. Our room faced the freeway, but I couldn't hear it at all. My wife prefers firmer beds, and thought this one was too soft. I like slightly softer beds, and thought it was great. We both agreed that the towels were quite soft and very nice - not very large, but otherwise they were probably the best towels I've seen. The indoor pool and hot tub were clean and didn't reek of chemicals (most indoor hotel pools smell so strongly of chlorine it's hard to spend much time there). My favorite part was that the pool is open until midnight on weekends - many hotel pools in Grand Rapids close at 9:00. When you drive as many hours as we do to get to Grand Rapids, it's nice to soak in the hot tub when we get there! The free WiFi was easy to access, and just as fast as our internet at home.
The food stood out as being particularly good, especially for a hotel in this class. The free breakfast provided cereal, fresh fruit, muffins, yogurt, toasted English muffins & bagels, waffles, and several other items. We're late sleepers, and usually end up missing breakfast because it's picked over by the time we get there. The Baymont Inn kept everything stocked, and breakfast was open until 10:00 on weekends. I really tested them on the last day, showing up 5 minutes before breakfast ended - not only were all the items still available, someone was still restocking as we walked in! We went to the attached 84th St. Bar & Grill one night for dessert. It was more attractive than the usual hotel restaurants, and had better food & lower prices. Service was good too.
We got this hotel through an auction site I probably can't name, but I will say that the Price lined up with what you'd normally expect to pay for a 1 star hotel. As such, I consider the Baymont Inn & Suites to be a real bargain. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DPRoberts
Erie, Colorado
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My wife and I had a great time at this hotel. We stayed for three nights in July of 2011. The pool and whirlpool were both great. The complementary breakfast was not fantastic, but it was sufficient for our needs. We especially enjoyed the restaurant that is attached to the facility. The meals were great and the prices reasonable. The room was very clean and well suited to our needs. All in all, this first experience at Baymont Inn and Suites was a positive one.

The reason we liked the location was that it was away from all the hustle-bustle of Grand Rapids. It is right next to a major thruway so getting around was easy.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Greenfield, Indiana
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I don't know where to begin. This was my first stay at a Baymont Inn. My Mom, Sister, And Myself booked here, because we had a wedding to attend in Grand Rapids.
Our suite was right around $100.00 plus tax. It was two complete rooms !!!!!
a door separated us. One room had two Queen beds, vanity area, desk, bathroom, fridge and microwave. and a big TV.
My side was like a livingroom with sofa and two comfy chairs. There was a large tv, work desk, bathrom, vanity area, fridge and microwave. and coffee maker. The sofa pulled out to make one of the nicest sofa/beds I have slept on.
Service was very good....breakfast was great...waffles, fruit, cereal, rolls etc.,
and the lobby was nice too.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
grbaymont, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids SW/Byron Center, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Thank you so much for such for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. I have printed copies of your review and have made sure that each member of our staff can hear your words first hand. Everyone at our hotel prides themselves on our hotel and the service they provide. Comments such as yours are a great way to provide them with the positive feedback for all their hard work. Again, thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know of your recent stay and I look forward to having you stay with us the next time you are in Grand Rapids / Byron Center.

Mike McWilliams
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#36 of 49 in Grand Rapids
Hampton Inn Grand Rapids-South

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids SW/Byron Center? Share your experiences!