“Needs Attention”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Cadillac
Manton, Michigan
“Needs Attention”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We have stayed here as a getaway, and have eaten at Curleys and the Terrace Room many times. It seems as though the attention to detail has been forgotten. The rooms are dated but clean and seemingly well kept. The restaurants though have gone downhill. The menu has remained largely unchanged for a long time. The waiters and watresses have forgotten what customer service is. We stopped into Curley's tonight for dinner and no one came to our tabe, or any other table for that matter, for the 10 minutes that we were there. We left and went elswhere. In the past that would never have been allowed to happen. Maybe it's the next generation, but customer service shouldn't be a sacrifice. Maybe Jim McGuire needs to make himself more of a presence. Until changes are made, consider dining elswhere.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jsems00
bshepa01, Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thank you for your resent review on our resort. We pride ourselves on prompt and friendly service; and it sounds like we dropped the ball on your visit. McGuire’s has been in business for over 60 years and this lack of attentiveness is unacceptable. If you could contact us directly we would like to pin point where things got missed. No matter how busy we may have been you should have been taken care of. As a result the General Manager, Mike McGuire and I will be reviewing our staffing standards immediately. The lack of staff presence is inexcusable, and not the way we operate. We update our menus twice a year. Hopefully you will give us the opportunity to win your business back.
Please contact us directly 231-775-9947 ext. 622 at your earliest convenience.
Josh Clark
Director of Food and Beverage
McGuire’s Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Iron River, Michigan
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I had to attend a business meeting in Cadillac and choices were very limited for accommodations. I picked McGuire's as it appeared to be the best of the bunch. After staying there I'm not so sure. Like some of the other reviewers I found the resort to be very dated and in much need of an overhaul.My husband was traveling with me so I picked a larger suite w/ a fireplace thinking it would be romantic. Not so much. The main room was this cavernous strangely configured room that made no sense. I think it was once a meeting room that they re-made into a guest suite. The front desk manager (Stuart) checked us in and he was not very friendly. The website indicated that there was a decent restaurant (The Terrace) on site but after checking in we were told that it was closed and we could eat in Curly's Pub. If I would have known this ahead of time I probably would have opted to stay someplace downtown so that we could have had a nice dinner. One good point: we went for a walk and the kids who are attending the golf course are very nice and very helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Magical430
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Thank you for your most recent evaluation of our resort. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. If you would be willing to give us second look, I would like to personally show you some of the changes we are currently making. We pride ourselves in friendly, genuine hospitality, and it sounds like that is not what you received at check-in. Of course, this will be addressed and thank you for letting us know. Due to the seasonality of our business, our restaurant options fluctuate with our busy and slow season. It seems that it would beneficial to our customers to know about this fluctuation in our dining options. We will work to make this more apparent on our website and when customers call in for off season reservations.
Again please contact me at your earliest convenience at 231-775-9947 ext. 619
Mike McGuire
McGuire’s Resort
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here before on business. If you're coming for the golf this is the place to stay. But, if your stopping through on business I recommend you find a cleaner, more modern and more up to date place in the area. This "resort" is showing some age on its upkeep, style and furnishings. It wasn't horribly dirty or unkept but simple things like dirty entry way carpets in the building side entry, wood that needed staining or painting and the sheets were very thin. Small things but nonetheless in a resort environment you expect a little more at least.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Martin_Boyer_Austin
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. Due to your comments, the General Manager and I have made a property walk-thru of all our entrances and noticed some of them need a little attention. We do regular, rotational carpet cleaning, but we have scheduled the carpet cleaners to come in the next 10 days to address these areas, as the winter salting and snow traffic made these areas not up to our standards. Also, we are in the process of a bedding and blanket upgrade in the hotel for our king and queen bedded rooms which we hope to have complete in the next 30 days.

Please feel to contact us directly on any additional items you may feel important. Please contact me directly on your next stay as I would like to show personally the changes already in the works around the Resort. You can reach me at 1-800-632-7302.

kalamazoo
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I grew up in Michigan skiing and snowmobiling with my family up North. I remembered McGuires as an awesome, fun place with a huge swimming pool. The pool is nice, but not real big and not enough chairs are around it for the size of resort it is. There was a very large party of hockey families while we were there. They were fine, just not enough for everyone.
Breakfast is included and was excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you were able to make it back to visit us. I appreciate your input about the pool area. We try to accommodate seating as well as walking space in the pool area. Thank you again for letting us know about your stay. We hope you get the change to visit us again soon.

Grass Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My husband and I have five children so a get away doesn't come often. We purchased a groupon to go skiing at Cabrefae in Cadillac and so I needed to find somewhere to stay. I hopped on Hotels.com and found Mcguires. What a find. We always try to find a place that includes breakfast and this place did not disappoint. Our room was very clean and spacious. The pool area was amazing and clean. We slept wonderfully and the breakfast in the morning was a buffet style but on china and real silverware. Definitely someplace I would love to bring our family or for a get away again for ourselves. Highly recommend. Funny thing when I told my parents about this place they remembered it as they stayed there before too.....It won't disappoint.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa G
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm glad that we "surprised" you. Our goal is for stays like yours to not be a surprise, but what is expected. We've been making some changes at the Resort in order to continually improve. We love hearing from our guests and always appreciate feedback. Hopefully you will get the chance to come back up with your family soon. We look forward to your next visit.

Bridgman, Michigan
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We spent a holiday weekend in Feb at McGuires. The room was very comfortable and clean, Breakfast (at the hotel) and lift tickets for Caberfae were included in the overall price. The staff is super friendly and accomodating (they were even able to re-arrange our room assignment during check-in). There are two restaurants at the hotel. The food at both was very good. It was a very pleasant, family friendly place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank amy f
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that staff was able to accommodate the assignment change at check-in for you. I will make sure the Food and Beverage department is aware that you enjoyed the food. They recently changed the menu and will love the feedback. Please think of us again the next time you visit Cadillac.

Winter Springs, Florida, United States
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Just stayed 4 nights as a get together with Daughter. The Hotel room was clean and comfortable...bed was a little firm for me, but it was only for a few nights, and i did sleep well. Breakfast was in the dining room every morning (included in price)..Very nicely done and plenty of hot or cold food to choose from. I found every memebr of staff I encountered very helpful and pleasant, from front, desk day and night, housekeeping to the staff in the dining room and Curly's Bar...I would definately stay here again.
I have never written a review before, but these people deserve the shout out..

Room Tip: If you are going to use the pool and spa area, ask for a room with the adjoining walkway to it..espe...