“Great Get Away!”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Cadillac
Vassar, Michigan, United States
“Great Get Away!”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband and I were looking for a reasonably priced, quality place to stay - not a chain hotel, that had something unique to offer. I am pleased to say that we found that at McGuire's Resort. It has a charm all it's own. The King Room was very tastefully decorated, and the view of the greens and the horizon from the 3rd floor was beautiful. The breakfast buffet was plentiful, and the Terrace Room, certainly was more charming than the normal "breakfast" area in the larger chain hotels. Some areas may show a little wear, but I think that adds to the charm. The pool house and hot tub were enjoyable as well. Yes, we will stay there again....and I would recommend it to others. McGuire's is well suited to the more mature traveler that is looking for a quiet and charming place to stay. Cadillac is a lovely area to visit, and McGuire's made this mini vacation worth the trip.

Room Tip: 3rd Floor - back of the building is an excellent view and very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Ypsilanti
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My girlfriend and myself did the Groupon play and stay package. When we got there we went to Check in and our room wasn't ready yet which was no big deal we were 45 mins early for our tee time and they got us off right away and our room would be ready when we got done golfing.
When we went to check in at the pro shop we got our free golf balls and we were told the beverage cart was out on the course. Well we didn't see the beverage cart until the 8th hole which is where they have the snack shack, she was just sitting there talking. Speaking of the snack shack they have a phone to call ahead. But no menu, it would have been nice to have a menu to see. So when we got to the snack shack the beverage cart finally left by the time we got to hole 11 which takes you back by the snack shack the beverage girl was back there just talking again. The port a johns were actually cleaner then the bathrooms at the snack shack. We never did see the beverage cart till hole 17 and at that point it was too late. The course itself was in decent shape and fun to play with some challenge. When we got done golfing we got our room and our a/c was not working so they switched our room with a different room without any hassle at all. The room itself was clean but it would have been nice to have a flat panel tv in it and also when I went to use a vending machine I followed the sign for ice/vending only to find an ice machine and I had to go across the parking lot to get to a vending machine which was fine see how it was very nice out still. It would have been a problem if it was raining out.
There were some positives and some negatives also. The bad part is that most of the negatives (such as the beverage cart and the bathrooms) should not have even been an issue and would cost no money to fix just getting employees to do there job.
I would still be will to go agin but if the same kind of problems are still there then that would be the last time. There are many other golf courses within a short drive.
I gave service terrible for the service on the golf course I would give the font desk excellent.

Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night everywhere else was booked. Was a little pricey for just needing a place to crash, but the property was beautiful. The room (jr suite) was very clean. The bathroom was huge with a jacuzzi tub and the breakfast that was included was better than your usual complimentary breakfast anywhere else. The indoor seating area was full so we sat outside and looked over the golf course. Very nice, would like to comeback and stay a few days next time.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank buzzard70
Temperance, Michigan
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed for three nights, which we purchased as a groupon. The whole experience was wonderful, from the the room, the atmosphere, to the very friendly staff and servers at the restaurant. For the price and amazing scenery there is absolutely no comparison! The golf course is an amazing setting, and the hiking/ exercise trails, as well as the pool and sauna, provide plenty of activities. I would highly recommend for anyone!!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dennis R
Ingersoll, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband found this resort in a Michigan Golf magazine as he was researching a destination for his foursome in late August. We had some time off and after speaking with the staff on the phone we decided to check the resort out in person. The price quoted over the phone seemed to good to be true so we were a little concerned what we might discover on arrival. We were pleasantly surprised when we reached the resort just how nice it really looked. The front desk staff were efficient and explained what was included and gave us a map of the resort. We were in room 308 which faces the 18th hole on the Spruce course. The room was spacious and very clean and bright! We decided to eat in the Terrace restaurant that night at the resort ( this is also where breakfast is served in the morning). The view was beautiful and the food good but not great ( over cooked steak ). After dinner we returned to our room only to discover a group had moved in right next to our room and were very, very loud. My husband went to discuss this issue with the front desk and it was no problem to move us. They offered to move us into the other building room 120 also with a king bed. You cannot imagine our surprise when we opened the door to find a beautiful suite! This was one of the nicest if not the nicest rooms I have ever seen! It is a corner room with windows on to green space and beautifully appointed with two wing back chairs, a love seat and a chaise and a large screen TV. It was newly renovated and we felt very happy to be given such an upgrade! This gesture encouraged us to add an additional night to our stay! My husband played the next day at Eldorado which is about 10 minutes from the resort! This is a beautiful course but not for the faint of heart , they had some of the biggest greens I have ever seen. I do not golf but was able to ride in the cart and enjoy the beauty of the course. Lunch on their patio is a must!
The next day he golfed the Spruce course at the resort! This is a great, established course with lots of trees and presents a nice challenge to any golfer! While at this resort we tried to make use of the facilities, walking trails and enjoyed drinks and dinner two nights at Curley's Pub. The staff were excellent and very welcoming. I just wish we lived closer as this would be a perfect weekend getaway!

Room Tip: If I had my choice I would stay in room 120 as it is beautiful!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. I’m happy to hear that staff was able to accommodate you and get you moved to a different room. As you mentioned, room 120 is one of our newly renovated “model” rooms. Our plan is to renovate some additional rooms soon. It seems as though you enjoyed many of the amenities we have to offer. We hope that you think of us again the next time you are in the area.

Bill Shepardson
Front Desk Manager
Michigan
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I purchased a trip on GroupGolfer for a good price. The course is in pretty good shape, however, the resort is stuck in the 1970's (maybe early 1980's.....). I heard they're planning a renovation, which is greatly needed if they're going to compete with the many golf resorts in Northern Michigan. The staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to help. When (if) the renovation is complete, we may come back.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My family enjoyed our stay at McGuire's Resort during a weekend get away. We have stayed in many different hotels and resorts over the years for a family weekend get away. The children in our party had a blast enjoying the use of the resort. The staff was very friendly, polite and helpful during our stay. Overall, we give the McGuire's Resort and the staff the highest rating possible. We have plans to return the resort in the future.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent and located around the resort
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family