Extended Stay America - Detroit - Canton
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Canton
“Awful”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

When I first arrived the clerk informed me that she didn't see that my reservation was made using the ESH10 code that I'd just used the previous day but that she'd put it in for me. I asked "so I'll get my refund of $10 upon check out" she said "Yes". Once I got to the room it was awful!!! It looks like traces of feces, blood and just dirt period were on the walls. The bathroom door was marked up and the drawers were "buckled", the counter strips were hanging off as well. I called first... No answer (which became a pattern throughout the stay as the clerk was often outside smoking and chatting) She FINALLY answered and informed me that she only had 1 room left and did I want to see it. Of course I did as i couldn't RISK staying in the current room. I went to the desk to get the keys and asked her if she'd seen that room. she said no she never goes into the rooms. I said she should. I'd asked for pots/pans ect upon check in and when we went to the desk to change rooms but had to call for them twice to ask for them with AGAIN no answer. At checkout Klodiana (Who is very nice, customer friendly and helpful) informed me that she didn't see the discount applied. I was PISSED (excuse me) and let her know I was along with how bad my stay had been!!! She asked Kenya (Who has the best calming demeanor and great customer satisfaction skills) for assistance. Together they adjusted the rate and gave me my discount plus additional $ I appreciated the efforts but the experience has left an awful aftertaste that won't soon go away! I've stayed at many extended stay locations. (including this one at least twice so they must have changed management or something cause it's the worst I've EVER stayed at! I used to go to the deluxe in Warren at least 2-5 times per month staying in the apt room and stay at other brands but have NEVER had such a bad stay as this one!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Zina T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Arcadia, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I entered the lobby, and it was just your basic hotel lobby. They did have coffee and muffins available for breakfast. As soon as I got out of the elevators to go to my room, I knew that I was not going to have a nice hotel experience. The carpet looked dirty, and there was a musty smell in the air. Right outside my room was a stack of 5 empty paint buckets, and I wondered why it was there and if they will ever remove it during my stay. In my room, there was a kitchenette with a stove, sink, and refrigerator. I was only staying one night, so I didn't use any of these amenities. I was actually scared to open the refrigerator. There were 2 double beds, and I wondered how long it has been since they washed the sheets. The bed was your old fashioned mattress that you can almost feel the springs, the white sheets were okay, but the blue blanket over the flat sheet was so thin! The bathroom only had soap, kleenex, and towels. It looked clean, but I wasn't really sure how deeply they clean it. The carpet in the room also needs a nice steam clean. The staff person in the front desk was nice, but I just would not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Vacayshon
Central Florida, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is the second year in a row I was able to stay at the Extended Stay of America in Canton Michigan. The length of my stay each time was 3 months. Like my stay last year, this stay was another wonderful experience. Everyone on the staff went out of their way to make sure that I was comfortable and enjoying my time at the hotel.

Klodiana, a staff member at the hotel, was one such person who really helped make my stay an exceptional one and is a major reason I will return again. From things like explaining my bill, making sure I got my mail to other question or concerns I had, Klodiana was not afraid to step up and make sure things were done when they needed to be and questions answered in a way I could understand. I can’t thank her enough for all of her help.

As I said I stayed here before and I will stay again. The hotels location and value make this an excellent stay for anyone looking for a place that involves long periods of time.

Thanks again staff, I will be back.

Rick

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Rick B
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The room I had for 4 nights was awful. Every night when I get back from work, I walked into a room that always smelled like smoke. It was awful and I always had to adjust to it. The ceiling had pieces falling off of it.
The channel lineup was pretty crappy. The one positive thing was the grab and go breakfast was always well stocked and easy to grab on my way out for work.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Techdude422

Travellers are raving about these Canton hotels

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Ms.Klodiana was a wonderful front desk person. She was ever willing to help us in any way she could. She was thorough in her job and considerate of our requests and provide valuable advice for our visit/stay in the city. Great Job Klodiana!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mohammad K
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I was in need of a barrier free room post surgery for a couple weeks and this property came to mind. It was located close to my family which was a plus as they were needed to drop off supplies and assist in daily activities. The room was big enough to navigate with a wheelchair moving easily between kitchen, sleeping area and bathroom. The most uncomfortable part of my stay was the bed. Lucky for me I own a tempur pedic mattress topper which improved my sleep immediately on night 2. I found many of the staff to be friendly and courteous even going out of their way to bring packages to my room as doing so myself was difficult to do while moving the wheelchair myself. I did not enjoy the run of the property that the ducks and geese seem to have here though. Walking, my wife, or wheeling, myself, through parking lot and sidewalks was generally tricky so as not to squash and pooh left by the local wildlife.

Room Tip: Make sure person accepting reservation reads back, while you listen intently, the reservation. I wi...