“Nice menu, nice atmosphere and friendly staff”
Review of The Oven

The Oven
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Caro
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: It all started back in 2004 when Ross and Linda Downing built "The Freezer and The Oven". This local favorite had some of the best ice cream and pizza in Caro, Michigan. The Downing's then saw an opportunity to move their business a couple blocks down to the old Capri Restaurant Building. Ross and Linda were not strangers to this building. They had both worked there in the past, Ross as a cook and Linda as a waitress. Once they moved into the old Capri Restaurant they made the decision to simply make the name of the restaurant The Oven. From that point on, they have been making The Oven what it is today: An American-Italian family friendly restaurant with a lounge. The Oven is located just outside of downtown Caro, Michigan. The Oven pride's themselves in their family-friendly atmosphere and great service, but don't take our word for it. Come and see for yourself!
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Our daughter had a game out in Caro and my family stopped in here to eat before her game. We had Spinach Artichoke dip and the Hawaiian pizza, if we ever travel to Caro again this will be our go to stop.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I was suprised at some of the other reviews. We have lived in 5 states and visited many more. The Oven's pizza beats out any other we have tried, and believe me we have sampled many!!
The Blue Mac & Cheese is to die for. Always recommend to out of town guests and friends. The locals already know this is the place to go. The service may be a little slow at times, but we have never been disappointed with the quality of the food. We often call ahead to order pizza to go and it is always ready in a timely manner.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Fun staff. Great food. My favorite is the stromboli. Old building with a great Italian atmosphere. Great for family. Nice banquet room available for party's. We eat there usually once a week. Love the place

1  Thank mariemariemari
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I reviewed The Oven nearly two years ago and really liked the place, but I had not come back until last night. I think that a new review is in order because I think they should rename the place The Microwave Oven. I ordered the Ravioli that came with the salad bar and garlic toast. Caro is smack in the middle of farm territory and this time of year would have access to an impressive variety of vegetables, yet everything on the salad bar came from a bag or jar. The salad bar was not kept up and was laid out incorrectly, causing you to have to “go back” and wait for items like bacon bits and croutons. I would have liked to see something fresh on the salad bar, but there was a little Southwestern Bean Salad that was nice (again this came from a can). I ordered the Meat Ravioli with the addition of Italian Sausage for the sauce. When it came the entrée was served in a low, narrow, oval bowl that made it difficult to eat ravioli from, yet why they couldn’t simply plate it is beyond me. The lay out was very unappealing, just a whole bunch of sauce----there was no cheese (nor was any offered) and the waitress had to point out to me where the extra Italian Sausage was. The pasta itself looked slimey and was cold, but the inside was far worse. Inside was little Italian Sausage disks and they would slip out to get lost in the sauce. They reminded me of little dog treats. They have sausage stores in this area; they couldn’t manage to get good sausage? So you were left with this big slimey noodle which was gross. The sauce, which had these little sausage disks, was a canned sauce like Hunt’s with canned crushed tomatoes in it. There was no seasoning in the sauce and was really acidity. I think that being that the pasta was cold and the plate and the sauce was hot, that the whole thing had been in the microwave. We will probably not go back.

3  Thank Jaim68
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I have been here a couple of different times, under different ownership and honestly this last visit shows it has gone down hill. The food was not bad, except when you compare it to the price which was obnoxious. Four of us had the apple bourbon burger, lasagna, and two apple jax chicken. The lasagna was substandard, probably a premade food service product. the noodles were overcooked, the sauce was overpowering but tasted canned, the burger was dry and had a light apple bourbon sauce. The apple jax chicken was actually good and was served over a bed of rice. the side I had was roasted reds and they frankly looked like they were thrown onto a dirty grill, black char grit covering them, yet they were undercooked. the baked potato was extremely dry. The price for all of this (including a bottled Guinness and 3 soft drinks, was $56. The service was ok, three meals included salad bar which was limited, but ok. I would not go here again.

1  Thank snipe49445