“Wedding stayover”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caseville
Bella Vista Inn and Sunset Bay Resort
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My niece was married on the beach further down the road, so we booked 6 rooms for the family.
Upon arrival on Saturday I informed the office that my toilet did not work. That night after the wedding, I further found out the mattress on their "king-size" bed was worn-out, the air-conditioner was either on set at 60 degrees or you could turn it off completely. We ended up using the toilet in another room because ours was not functional. The tiny shower had three streams of water coming out, not a relaxing stay. Save your money.

Room Tip: Go find another place to stay. really small showers. no water pressure.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank handytjn69

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I booked this inn for a 26 night stay since it was one of the cheapest I could find. I am very used to rough life and I thought I could rough out if things weren't perfect. Oh boy, I couldn't last 24 hours at this place. The room was sticky as hell. It smelled like a dead dog inside. No kidding!!! I could hardly breath inside the room. As you enter the room from outside, it was terrible and I had to breath in slowly to get used to the smell. I think it's probably mildew under the carpet. The floor felt wet and it was dirty. I had to wear socks inside since the carpet was sticky and moist. The socks turned dark brown after a few hours. I checked out the first thing next morning and ran away from this place as fast as I could. Don't bother to stay here because of the price. It is a health hazard and will cost you more in the long run. I was born and lived in a 3rd world country but this is much worse than the poorest hotels far east, honestly.I am picking a 1 star since there is no '0' star. This is my first ever bad review on a hotel and that sums it up.

Room Tip: Dont even bother considering this place. Move to the inn next door. A bit pricier but it's worth...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank SeanPFL
Reviewed 25 October 2013

BEWARE! Had reservations to stay here for our sister's wedding. Checked in and went to the room only to find feces sprayed all over the bathroom. Called to have it cleaned (only because they were booked and there were no other places to stay on in the area). The lady came with 1 rag and a spray bottle and spread the mess all over the bathroom. Then we saw the sheets..they were stained and there was hair all over the top blankets. I have never seen such a filthy room in my whole life of travel. The health department would not have let someone stay there. We very politely checked out and were told that they weren't authorized to credit our American Express and the manager Chris would do it as soon as he got it. We repeatedly tried to call because they never credited our card and no one ever returns calls. We filed a claim with AmEx and it came back saying the owner said "we left without an explanation". You couldn't make up a horror story like this. It is now October and we are still disputing this. Called the office and explained for an hour and numerous calls what happened with the room and even faxed over a receipt showing that we stayed at another hotel the same day. They said the owner Hershel would look at the paperwork and get back to me because he was going to be gone at his other house for the weekend. We filed another claim with American Express. Next stop BBB Better Business Bureau, Attorney General and small claims. Whatever it takes. This is the most unethical, unprofessional, dirty, disgusting hotel I have ever seen and the owners and management take no responsibility.

Room Tip: Don't go here you will be sorry.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank jimlindac
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I agree with the previous reviews. The sheets and pillow cases have rips in them. My room was missing the extension cord for plugging the light clock into. With the wind tower workers booking up the rooms in Bad Axe not a lot of lodging options.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank John U
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hotel was one of the worst I have stayed in....rooms are small...dirty...one bed was broken...shower was tiny...the one vending machine was broken....no ice machines....no coffee makers in rooms....terrible service....horrible all the way around.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank purplelady53
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My husband Jason and I just got married at the Bella Vista Inn and Sunset Bay Resort three weeks ago and it was perfect! There are not too many places in Michigan (on the East side) where you can get married with a view on the water like this. Bella Vista is located so that every night they have a great sunset and having spent the majority of my childhood summers in Caseville I knew that was the backdrop that I wanted for my special day. Hershel (the owner) was an absolute pleasure to work with- very easy going and funny personality who went above and beyond to make sure that we didn't have to worry about a thing. Our wedding was outside by the beach and we had a beautiful tented reception with a great view of the water/sunset. Looking back there is honestly nothing that I would have changed for that day- everything went so smooth and perfect. Our guests also really enjoyed the food- it was really good. Joe (the DJ) did an amazing job of keeping everything going and making sure that everyone had fun. After we had to shut down outside we went inside and danced til 2 am. I would highly recommend any bride-to-be looking for that perfect beach wedding to definitely check this place out.

Room Tip: I had suite #9 - awesome view of the bay!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JennyMichelle2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I saw many of the negative reviews on this site before booking a trip and decided I could deal with the "outdated" aspects since we really were choosing them for their location (BEAUTIFUL, RIGHT ON LAKE HURON) and their jet ski rentals.

We rented one of the motel rooms at $95/night and it was exactly as I expected...outdated, smelled musty, uncomfortable beds, holes in the screens,etc. As I mentioned I could have dealt with that and the only way around that in the thumb area would be to pay twice as much. As a single mom with two kids, I opted to go with this place based on the gorgeous view, beach, and because we wanted to rent jet skis.

When I booked, I was told there was NO need for jet ski reservations. We got there and checked in around 1:30 PM and reserved two jet skiis for 3 pm. We went down to the beach and chatted with the jet ski attendees who told us they were shutting down early because they had "an important appointment that afternoon". I immediately called the front office to inquire and the person who answered seemed confused about my reservation and said she would call me back because she confirmed she thought they were no longer letting the jet skiis go out for that day. I continued to speak with the jet ski attendants on the beach who agreed to let us take them out since the prior appointment couldn't use them as they didn't know about needing a Michigan boater safety certificate.

Ultimately we were able to take out the two jet skiis (after MUCH confusion) only to have one of them stall out after 20 minutes. My daughter had to go back to shore and have the attendant come back out and tow it back to shore. He was very nice and suggested we talk to the office about getting an extra 30 minutes of time.

I went and explained to the office manager and he questioned what had happened and then gave me my credit card back (they hold it while you are using the machines) and then told me to have a nice day. I LITERALLY had to ASK about how they were going to make it right for us based on the stalled machine when I had paid for two full hours ($138). At that point he gave me a $30 credit and acted like that was a big favor.

When we tried to rent again the next day they told us they were rented for the entire day (it was 11:30 and the skiis were sitting on the beach unused) and even though the party wasn't checking in until 2pm they had no staff to cover them until then. (What??? You are a resort who attracts people based on these rentals?) I explained that we were told no reservations were required and would have made formal arrangements had we known.

I asked to speak to the manager and they said he was busy planning with a wedding party.

Left very disappointed and wishing I had listened to the reviews.

This place needs a lesson in CUSTOMER SERVICE and basic hotel management.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a Chalet (built this century!!!)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Lisa B

Been to Bella Vista Inn and Sunset Bay Resort? Share your experiences!