“Another warm welcome!”

The Bell Pub Waltham St Lawrence
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2017

I last reviewed The Bell in January 2015 and I'm pleased to say that we received an even warmer welcome when we popped in yesterday, on our return from lunch nearby! The staff were very helpful and friendly, the beer (Rothaus) clean and the most enormous pork scratching and delicious pickled egg I've had (in chilli and bay leaves) - which I got for free as I mentioned it was my birthday! Will definitely return on our next bike ride.

Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

They always have a great selection of ales on and the most amazing pork scratching. Full of friendly locals and always a great atmosphere day or night. Lovely beer garden for the sunny days.

Reviewed 4 April 2017

Booked lunch for four people here today on the strength of good reviews, but have to report that the food did not live up to expectations. The pub was not busy and yet we were left to explore to find a table and the menu. The only menu was written on a board, but not in the room were were sitting. Expectations were in decline already, but we ordered our choices at the bar and spirits lifted a little with the arrival of pork scratchings which we all tried. I enjoyed my soup with very good buttered beer bread, but my 'Bambi' burger was really sub standard. Firstly, it was served on a wooden platter not much bigger than the bun which had everything apart from the chips inside it. As soon as I cut into it food started spilling off the platter onto the table. As soon as I tasted the burger I commented that it was barely warm and the bun was stone cold. Why the cold garnishes were not served separately I have no idea, but there was certainly no room on the platter for that to happen. It should have been sent back but when you are with several friends it delays and spoils the time together, so the only alternative is not to return. If an establishment can't serve a hot burger in a warm bun, let's face it, no one would wish to try anything else on the menu.

1  Thank Stephen Y
Iain G, Owner at The Bell Pub Waltham St Lawrence, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2017

Glad you enjoyed your Pork Scratchings and Soup. Sorry about the Bambi Burger, normally awesome! I wish you'd said something, I would have made it up to you!

Reviewed 19 March 2017

We had a lovely lunch here in their tiny but perfect dining room. The pub is a really nice local, and the food and service were great. I'd gladly recommend The Bell.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

Cosy pub with snug open fires, good standard of nosh and delicious pork scratchings.
Just what I look for in a country pub.