“Wonderful experience!”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Charlevoix
Trenton, Michigan
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I went to Charlevoix 9/23/13 and stayed at the Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites for two nights after purchasing two Groupon coupons. I must say that I was extremely satisfied with my experience. The suite we stayed in was clean, completely updated, everything looked new, the beds were comforable, the service was great, and we were in walking distance to all of the cute little shops and restaurants. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was very pleasant and helpful. The continental breakfast was great! And, I was very impressed that all of the pastries, muffins, etc. were individual wrapped! There was an unbelievable amount of items to choose from. Very well done! I wouldn highly recommend this hotel and would stay there in a heart beat again if and when I return to Charlevoix.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lake Michigan suite and loved it. We were on the third floor so the tree tops cover...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jan L
Irene H, Manager at Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Jan L,

Thank you for staying with us and for your Tripadvisor review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. I am glad to see that you came here with your Groupon coupons and were able to enjoy two days with us. Charlevoix is a beautiful place anytime of the year and we are lucky to be located right downtown and walking distance to those great shops and the beach on Lake Michigan. I am also glad to see that you enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast. We have added a number of new items to the breakfast and hope there is something that will fit everyone’s breakfast needs, but we are also walking distance to a number of downtown breakfast spots for those guests looking for a made to order hot breakfast. We hope that you will have opportunity to come and visit us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Western Michigan
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The pros outweigh the cons, yet I'm not sure this would be a place that we would return to. PROS: Great location, really nice view from our room (#51), our Lake Michigan Suite had a nice kitchenette, a wonderful fireplace, and lots of storage. The shower was excellent. It was quiet at night. CONS: I was surprised by the unsmiling, and not very helpful, staff at check-in. Not just one, but two. Maybe they were having a bad day, but it did make for an unwelcoming atmosphere and so, a rather poor first impression. Our suite had a weird layout and felt outdated (but clean) especially the bathroom, and the pull-out bed was terribly uncomfortable. There were several people smoking just outside the rooms or near the lobby. The atmosphere just made me feel as though I wouldn't care for the way this hotel is managed. I don't think we will return.

Room Tip: Nice view from suite #51. I think #50 and #52 also have Lake Michigan views.
3 Thank oak13mich
Dear Oak13mich,

Thank you for staying at the Weathervane Terrace and for you Tripadvisor review. I am sorry that you did not feel welcome upon your arrival. I want all of our guests to feel welcome as they arrive and throughout their stay as we are their home away from home. Many of our guests drive a long distance to get here and their first impression is important. Room #51 does have a great view of Lake Michigan. There are 33 rooms in the building that you stayed in. Most of the rooms in that wing are suites, like the one you stayed in, but we also have some Jacuzzi rooms in that building. The suite you stayed in has a bedroom separate from the living room. There is a door that closed between the two rooms but the bathroom has two doors so that when the door is closed between the bedroom and living room each side has access to the bathroom. All 33 rooms have a balcony view of Lake Michigan. The state of Michigan has banned all smoking in hotel rooms. This may be why people were smoking outside of their rooms.
New London, New Hampshire
Reviewed 18 September 2013

To really "do" Charlevoix, you need to stay at this hotel built by Earl Young (architect of the amazing Mushroom houses). The place has a lovely feel and the giant stone fireplace in the lobby is amazing. We had a lake view suite which had a lovely balcony (not all rooms have a lake view). A stairway down to the beach was steps away. The suite had a full kitchen, living area, fireplace, bathroom and bedroom. The feel is retro with a bathroom from the 60's but it worked fine. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast is included but is nothing special.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake-view room.
1 Thank SueM722
Dear SueM722,

Thank you for staying with us and for your Tripadvisor review. We love to hear from our guests. I hope that you were able to tour Charlevoix and see some of the other Earl Young architecture while you were here. Our proximity to Lake Michigan and the downtown Charlevoix area makes us a great hotel to stay at when staying in Charlevoix. I am sorry to hear that you were not please with our complimentary continental breakfast which has coffee, juice, milk, cold cereal and hot oatmeal, English muffins, coffee cake, bagels, make-your-own waffles, and fruit. The three story Lake Michigan wing you stayed in was built in 1985 to compliment the original Earl Young 1960 Harbor wing. I am glad that you were able to see the fireplaces in our lobby and breakfast room that were both built by this famed builder.
ann arbor
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This is a great location. Walking to stores and shops is just steps away as well as the boat docks. The Inn has good views of Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoux. Our room looked out over Lake Mi. It was a king suite with fireplace (not real) a jacuzzi tub and shower, a small wet bar with frig and microwave. The rooms need a little attention to the details. Paint, chipped tiles, bad ceiling tiles. They were having issues with the pool losing water. The pool needs a total redo. The breakfast bar was typical of most hotels. All carbs, breads, muffins, cereal, waffles. Hot oat meal. Yogarts and some hard boiled eggs. We arrived around 9:30 for breakfast and there was no hot coffee or cream available. Whoever was manning the desk for check-out I believe was also supposed to keep up with the breakfast bar.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Irene H, General Manager at Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you for your review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. These reviews are very helpful to let us know what guests are looking for in their stays with us. We added the yogurt and hard boiled eggs to our continental breakfast because of the request from guests not to have just carbs on the menu. We do have someone that takes care of the continental breakfast area until 9:30. They then head into the housekeeping department and it becomes the responsibility of the desk to watch it. I hope that they came and took care of the breakfast soon after you arrived.

It is very difficult to do any maintenance, other than to touch up rooms, during our busy summer and fall seasons with guests staying in rooms each night. We will be doing maintenance on all our rooms as the slower, winter season approaches and rooms are not occupied every night.

Our pool is closed for the season. We usually close it after Labor Day. There were some skimmers in the pool that will be having some work done on them. I don’t know that the pool needs a total re-do. The leak will be fixed in the skimmer and the pool will open, as usual, in the spring. I hope that you will come and visit us again.
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed at the Weathervane for our wedding. We had quite a large group. The staff was fantastic and very accommodating. The rooms we clean and comfortable. We will definitely stay there the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you Liz H for your great review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. I am so glad that you were able to stay with us while celebrating your wedding. There are a great number of wedding groups that stay at with us and we hope all have as great an experience as you and your group.
Mount Prospect, Illinois
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We bought groupon and made a reservation to hotel directly.
Afternoon, we spent our time to walked in river walkway to see charlevoix pier light and wait for sunset. I saw several couples do the the same thing.
Nice hotel with condominium facilities including appliances, fireplace and modern amenities.
The hotel have big hot tub in top floor and swimming pool.
Good breakfast with oatmeal, waffle, fruits, etc (6.00 till 11.00)
Location is the best, our room is lake view.

Room Tip: The nice thing to stay in this hotel is location. We walk to the beach to enjoy sunset. In the mor...
Dear isneta,

Thank you for your great Tripadvisor review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. I am so glad that you were able to use the hotel facilities during your stay with us. We have had so many Groupon customers that have tried our hotel and enjoyed their stay. Our location is great to be able to walk into town and to the beach from your room. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our continental breakfast. We have added so many new items in the last year to bring variety to our menu.

I hope that you will be able to visit us again soon.
Michigan
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend at the end of August, and for the price we paid I was disappointed. The room we had although spacious, was in need of a major update and repair. There were large cracks in the tile in the shower, one of the mirrored closet doors would not open, the carpet needed cleaning at the very least, and the frame/wall around the patio doors were chipped and peeling badly, with chunks missing. The pillows had no protective cover and were very old. The staff was at best courteous but not very friendly.
We stopped for a drink about 930 PM because of a beautiful outdoor deck and although we were seated fairly quickly, albeit very bruskly at a table, we waited about 15 minutes before we got the attention of a waiter, who was less than friendly. We certainly weren't made to feel welcome by the staff. It felt like we were imposing on them.
We live in Traverse City which is also a high tourist traffic area, and I can only hope that our businesses make our tourist feel more welcome. A friendly attitude can make all the difference in the world to a visitor. We will most definitely be exploring a different part of the area that we live in the future.

Room Tip: ask for a new updated room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alice5432
Dear Alice5432,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. I hope that you were able to fill out a maintenance ticket in the room so that we could address the items that you mentioned. We are not able to do large maintenance fixes during our busy summer and fall seasons as our rooms are booked almost every night, but we do fix items as they are come up and do major projects during the slow winter months. I will contact our housekeeping department to let them know about the pillows with no protectors. I will also give this review and discuss they way you felt about our staff.

The restaurant that you speak of is not part of our property. It is across the road from us and many of our guests to go there, so I will be sure to pass on your comments to them. With them being so near us, their attitude and service can reflect on to us.

I do hope that you will try Charlevoix the Beautiful again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlevoix
Charlevoix Inn & Suites
Stafford's Perry Hotel
Stafford's Perry Hotel
#2 of 15 in Petoskey
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey

Been to Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!