“The best hotel in Charlevoix”

Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Charlevoix
Reviewed 16 December 2013

gerry v

Northville, Michigan

“Best Hotel Stay in Recent Memory”

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed at the Weathervane Terrace in October and had the best stay i can remember. I was able to get one of the Lake Michigan view rooms. It seemed to have been recently renovated, because it had new carpet and a brand new bed the bath was great too. The staff is always extremely friendly and the facility very clean. I noticed one of the housekeepers was busy raking leaves as the maintenance crew was cleaning up. I love the great stonework in the lobby and the breakfast is always fresh and appetizing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Irene H, General Manager at Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Gerry V,

Thank you so much for your great review and ratings for the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. I am glad to see that you are a returning guest and am thankful that you took the time to let other travelers know how great we are.

There are newer reviews for Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites

Reviewed 12 November 2013

The first thing you'll notice is that it doesn't look like a traditional hotel. We used a Groupon for November 9th because we had never stayed in Charlevoix. Our room was the Michigan Suite on the 3rd floor. This room was clean, well appointed and comfortable. Included in the suite was a REAL fireplace with a blower! The hotel even supplied a Duralog for the fire. Never seen a real fireplace inside a hotel before, it was a nice surprise that we enjoyed. Beautiful stone work throughout the lobby with a very friendly staff. The only reason we didn't give a 5 star rating was our view of Lake Michigan. We thought the view would have been better. Had the leaves been on the trees, the view would have been totally obstructed (room #71). Downtown is within walking distance and all that Charlevoix has to offer. Definitely recommend!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MichiganTraveler033, Manager at Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Ryan R

Thank you for your great Tripadvisor review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, aren’t the fireplaces nice!; especially in the cool fall weather. I see that the Tripadvisor television commercials are taking hold. In the commercial the guest only gives a 4 star review until she opens the curtains and sees the view, than it becomes a 5 star review. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again and we will do our best to make your stay a “5 star review”.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

You’ll notice that I didn’t say the Weathervane was bad, just not great. I wanted to like this hotel(?), in part because I generally like these older lodging facilities that are not part of a chain. The Weathervane is not what I think of when I think “hotel”, and in all honesty, the name doesn’t contain the word “hotel”, so it’s not as if there was any false advertising. This is more like a motel, or motor court, in that there is an office, and then a two-story building that surrounds the parking lot, onto which the rooms open. Okay, so my expectations weren’t accurate. No problem.

Let’s start with the good. The location is excellent. It is a short walk to the beach and town, including shopping and restaurants, because it is almost on the beach and it is in the downtown area. That is great except that it didn’t matter for my trip. It was October/November and I was there on business. That is not the hotel’s…I mean, the inn’s fault.

Check-in was efficient and the receptionist was friendly and professional.

It was quiet, in part because there were very few guests, and let’s face it; Charlevoix is a tourist destination. There aren’t any tourists at the end of October.

The room was clean and well-appointed with all of the requisite furnishings and a refrigerator and microwave oven. If I had been staying more than one night, the microwave and fridge would have been used.

The wireless internet was free and worked flawlessly. It grinds me when I have to pay for an internet connection at a hotel, so free wifi is always welcome.

Because I was staying at the hotel during off season, the room rate was great! There, I did find something about this inn that was great.

Now for the not great; and not great kind of sums up this inn. The bottom surface of the second floor walkway is deteriorating. It has been patched badly in places, but other portions are just falling apart. It looks bad. That was the first think I noticed as I walked to my room. This was more noticeable because it was raining during my stay and water dripped from this walkway. If I am being honest, I am an architect and I tend to notice these types of deficiencies. The average guest might not notice or care.

I noticed as soon as I walked into the room, that it was stifling hot inside. The thermostat was set at 72 degrees but the temperature inside the room was 80. I turned it down to 65 and left for dinner shortly after. When I returned, it was still 80 degrees in the room. I turned the thermostat down to 60 and opened the exterior door a few inches, but it remained warm in the room despite the outside temperature being 50 and dropping. Before bed I turned the thermostat down to 50 degrees; its lowest setting. The temperature went up to 81. This opposite world would become a theme during my stay. Perhaps I should have tried running the air conditioner.

I wanted to wash up at the sink. I turned on the hot water, and it changed from cold to not so cold. I ran it for about five minutes and it never became warm so I gave up. The next morning, when I showered, it took until the end of my shower for the water to become hot. Oh, and by the way, ignore the hot and cold markings on the shower and turn the handle all the way to cold to get hot water. Opposite world, remember?

The bath towels are small and thin. Here is my suggestion; instead of putting four small thin bath towels in the room; put two large thick towels in the room.

And one more gripe about the shower, and this isn’t the only hotel/motel/inn at which I have noticed this situation. Why is the shower head located so low? This one happened to be located 5 feet 8 inches above the surface of the tub; however, I am a very average 6 feet tall. Do the math. It wasn’t the worst I have encountered; but really, locate the shower heads above 6 feet. A short person can use a shower head located above 6 feet, but a tall person has difficulty using a shower head that is located low.

The bed is not great. It wasn’t too soft, or too hard, it just wasn’t all that comfortable. I felt like a cheated Goldilocks. To be fair, I prefer a hard mattress. The pillows on the other hand were hard and not at all comfortable.

Breakfast is included in the room rate and is served in an area adjacent to the office. Breakfast consisted of bagels, pastries, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, make-it-yourself-waffles, fresh fruit, cold cereal, juice, milk, coffee, and probably a few other items I missed. It wasn’t the best included-with-the-room breakfast I have ever had, but it was far from the worst.

As I said, I wanted to like this inn, and it wasn’t bad. I would stay here again simply for the convenience of the location; however, they need to make some improvements.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank SEMich

Dear SEMich,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the wireless internet and continental breakfast while you stayed with us. You must have stayed with us midweek at the end of October as weekends in October are still quit busy in Charlevoix’s downtown area with tourists. We are doing some maintenance on our sidewalks. We will be starting on this project in our slower season so that we do not block out rooms for guests during our busy seasons. Thank you for staying with us and I hope that you will come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

My boyfriend and I wanted to take a trip up north to enjoy the Fall foliage, as well as make trips to Mackinac and Traverse City. We found the Groupon deal for the Weathervane Terrace and booked 2 nights for October 21 & 22. Check-in was quick and easy, and the employee at the reservation desk was very nice and friendly. We stayed on the third floor (great perk, having an elevator in our building), and were given a room with a BEAUTIFUL view of Lake Michigan. Our room was the Jacuzzi Suite, with jacuzzi tub, microwave, refrigerator, king size bed with super clean white sheets, and a nice balcony. I THINK we were staying in the updated rooms that other reviewers had mentioned, but not sure. After getting settled, I inspected the room for bed bugs, and found nothing (what a relief! So clean!). We got into the jacuzzi. It was very nice and big enough for 2, but my only small criticism would be for the tub to have just a few more jets, to shoot out more water and work more areas of your body. Housekeeping did a very nice job of cleaning our room while we were out exploring Mackinac. I also LOVED that there was a binder in the dresser by the bed, complete with the best places to eat in the area, along with each of their menus. We had enough toiletries for our 2-night stay, so the only other interaction we had with the front desk was during checkout, which was also quick and easy. We only ate the complementary continental breakfast once during our stay. They offered bagels, muffins, a cereal bar, coffee, juice, and a hot waffle bar. We ate breakfast the other morning at the Harbor View Cafe, right down the street from the hotel. The French toast and sausage was really good, as was my boyfriend's skillet breakfast. About 2 hours into our trip home, my boyfriend realized he had left some clothing in the hotel room's closet. He called the hotel immediately, and the woman he spoke to offered to mail his clothing to our house, which we thought was REALLY nice. We got the clothing in the mail the following week. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would probably stay here again for our next trip up north.

3  Thank Lisa V

Dear Lisa V,

Thank you for the great review you gave the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites on Tripadvisor. I also love the picture you took from your balcony. The colors were so vibrant this fall and look beautiful against the background of Lake Michigan. Our Jacuzzi rooms are very nice rooms. I am also glad to see that you tried our continental breakfast along with trying a full breakfast at one of the downtown restaurants. We have a number of great restaurants in Charlevoix….many of them just walking distance from the hotel. Please give us a call the next time you are heading up north; we would love to see you again.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This was our 1st stay at the Weathervane. We stayed Oct 13-15 2013 using a Groupon. Groupon rate or not, we loved this place. Our room was a Michigan Suite on the 2nd floor. I can only echo all of the positive reviews here. Loved the room, the location, and the staff. We had a nice view, fireplace in the bedroom, walking distance to everything. What more can I say? No negatives. We were so relaxed and happy. Did not want to leave. While it is an older property, the updates are great. We would recomend the Weathervane to anyone. We will be back!

Dear BoggsRoseville,

Thank you for your great review and for using Groupon on your first stay at the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. Charlevoix is a great place to visit in the fall and I am glad you chose to stay with us while you were hear enjoying the city. I hope you will be back to visit soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We visit the beautiful town of Charlevoix two to three times yearly, and this is the only place we stay. The location is perfect, next to the channel, walking distance to downtown, and to the pier to watch the sun set over Lake Michigan. A sandy Lake Michigan beach is about 1 block's walk. We stayed in a Lake Michigan Suite, which has 2 rooms: a living/dining/kitchen with sofa-bed, and a separate bedroom with a Lake Michigan view and fireplace. There have been quite a few upgrades, from new paint to new furniture and carpet in the room, and even new towels (much needed!). I was glad to see the addition of hard-boiled eggs to the complimentary breakfast buffet. Still the friendly, personable staff, with lots of info on things to do and see.

Room Tip: There are several types of rooms available, staff can help you choose the best type for you.

Dear kzotraveler,

Thank you for your great review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites on Tripadvisor. Thank you for noticing the additions to our continental breakfast. It is always nice to hear from a guest who has chosen to stay with us a number of times and notices the upgrade changes that we are making. I look forward to having you as a guest again at the Weathervane Terrace.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We had a newer room: large, king bed, Jacuzzi, microwave, refrigerator, balcony with view of Lake Michigan. And reasonably priced with friendly, helpful staff. The rest of the hotel is tired. It needs paint, new flooring and general refurbishing. The complementary breakfast is cold except for do-it-yourself waffles, oatmeal, and a toaster. Strangely we had fruit flies in our room even though we had no fruit. I mentioned this to the clerk who said, " We have had them all summer." They don't bite. They are just annoying. Charlevoix is a nice touristy town too.

Room Tip: Get a room in the new section.
1  Thank William W
MichiganTraveler033, Manager at Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear William W,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. I am so glad you enjoyed your room and our complimentary continental breakfast. I am not sure why there were fruit flies in your room. Many guests do bring food into the room with them as all our rooms have refrigerators and microwaves, and the suites have kitchenettes. I will have to agree that fruit flies are annoying. I am glad that you were able to visit Charlevoix and take in all the great views of Lake Michigan. I hope that you will come back soon and stay with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlevoix
Charlevoix Inn & Suites
Stafford's Perry Hotel
Stafford's Perry Hotel
#2 of 15 in Petoskey
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey

Been to Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!