“A Table at the Farm Dinner”

The Grey Gables Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grey Gables Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 59 Restaurants in Charlevoix
Price range: US$30 - US$31
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: US 31
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We have had several excellent experiences at Grey Gables in the past, this one tops all so far! Chef Darren Romano paired with Kietely Farms to produce a farm to table dining experience that was amazing. The dinner was scheduled to be at the farm, mother nature did not allow for that to happen. We were greeted by an friendly staff and directed to a large dining area. There were two large tables set for approxinmately 24 each. This event was billed as "Family style service encourages guests to get to know their tablemates", and we did. We were fortunate enought to sit next to the "Kiteleys" , owners & the farmers who provided the food. We also had the please of meeting Rob & Heidi as tablemates. This event was $75 per person, which included wine & beer. We were given several wine selections and began mingling and enjoying the selection of appetizers, Butternut Squash "shooters", Eggplant Relish Crostini, & Kiteley's Meatballs. Each was wonderful. Next was White Risotto with Corn, Hubbard Squash and Kale. this was an outstanding to discover the super food "kale". The entree was a Garlic Rosemary Filet Mignon, Braised Wolf river Apples, Roasted Acorn Squash and Thyme & Braised New Potatoes with Mustard. The tenderloin was perfect, the apples and potatoes outstanding. Kiteley's even raised the rosemary. The palate cleansing was Kiteley's Roasted Pink Chiogga Beet Salad walnut dressing, grilled flatbread, farm basil and goat cheese. WOW was the best I could come up with. The Chef added stuffed poblano peppers that were wonderful. The desert finally arrivednad it was a fitting ending. Mini-Pumpkin Honey Creme Brulee, again superb. I am not a desert person but I would order this again and again. Being family style one might think service would be minimal, not here. There was more than ample wait staff, who were exceptional. Truly an outstanding experience, hopefully to repeated by Chef Darren many times. Kudos to Grey Gables for an outsanding dinig experience, and to the Kiteley's for outstanding vegetable and meat products. I look forward to attending more events that Chef Darren provides. I must appologize I have forgotten the names of his two counterparts in the kitchen. One is his wife and ther other young lady's was assume as well. A very didicated, talented kitchen crew.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I had been to this restaurant several years ago and remembered it as being very quaint with a nice atmosphere and good food. It hasn't changed much, it still has a very nice ambiance and the food/service was very good. They have a very nice menu and we had the chocolate bread pudding for dessert which was excellent.
This is a nice "special occasion" restaurant (for us) as it is a bit on the pricey side but the experience was very nice and I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is an old house that is very quaint in the front with a nice bar with a Piano and a back dining room. It has a very old fashion décor that gives the feeling of being drawn back in the 1920's.

We had reservations and we were seated immediately, however, it took over 10 minutes for the assistant waiter go bring over just a glass of water and the head waiter also did not check back in a timely matter. The service made me feel like I was in a dinner that was overbooked. If I am paying for service and ambiance, I expect it.

My wife had the Walleye while I had Prime rib while both were good, but something was missing - flavor! Most of the flavors were very limited; which was funny since the Walleye was supposed to be Cajun. The bread and sides were good but not great. Also we were very disappointed they did not feature local wines since there are so many great wines from Michigan from to chose.

This was not a bad choice but since there are many other great places in Traverse City, Petoskey Harbor Springs and surrounding area that you should seek other places due to cost and service. All I can say is they wanted to be something they were not trained to be.

1  Thank MIWingnut
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We ate at the Grey Gables twice over the summer. We found it to be on the expensive side but that was offset by the nice atmosphere, good service and good food. It's a white table cloth restaurant which makes for a very nice setting.

We have found the food to be very good but not outstanding. I feel that the prices are high for what they offer. The duck, for instance, was a few cut pieces of breast on the plate instead of a half a duck like most restaurants serve. While it looked pretty it left me wanting more but cost $27.

We would recommend this restaurant, although we feel Terry's would be a better choice.

On Tuesday's the Grey Gables offers a hamburger and a beer for $7 all day and night. We did not partake in this special but have friends that have and say it is a bargain.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

First I would note on the TripAdvisor listings that this is really #2 for dinner spots in Charlevoix. Most most of the top listings are cafes and deli places while this, Esparance and Staffords (and some others) are dinning resaurants.

Overall GG is more about the dining experience in old resort style than about food or anything else. The food is always very good but never in the outstanding category. We do eat here often when in town and we like the atmosphere and service along with the good food. Always good are the whitefish and other lake fishes, the prime rib is my favorite. I don't think there is a bad item on the menu. The salad "wedge" is very good. They have a decent wine list covering most price ranges. Service is always good, they have enough people to clear and attend. The rooms is a convered house on one side (quaint) and there are more tables on the other side of the bar.

They often have live music, it is usually cheesy but it recalls a time when resorts were "resorts". Every time we eat at GG one person puts in a song request while someone else complains about the music. For me it would not be GG without the music. I first went there 400 years ago with Breezy at the piano and adults who knew what vaudeville and the Poccanos entertainment was like.

Reservations are needed.