“A rainy day.”
Review of Simonsen's Bakery & Cafe - CLOSED

Simonsen's Bakery & Cafe
Reviewed 19 September 2013

It was a short time before the season was over for Simonsen's We ducked into Simonsen's, not knowing that in fact, it would become one of our more delightful experiences. Small but with a menu that is large in taste and presentation. I didn't take long to realize that this was a special restaurant, and the food was prepared by Chef's not cooks. As we darted between raindrops, there was an open door at the side of the restaurant that I mistakenly began to inter, and the Chef said, " you come in here you'll have to wear an apron", and then we of course went to the front door. The front of the restaurant is all glass, which adds to the uniqueness of it location, which is adjacent to the outlet into Lake Michigan, with a drawbridge and Yacht club within view.
I ordered the Turkey Pannini with brie, oven roasted turkey, and cherry compote. Kay, my partner ordered the chicken salad wrap, with Dried Michigan cherries, celery, walnuts, and light coriander mayo. Until that time, we weren't aware that our sandwiches were being prepared by Chef's, but almost instantly it was apparent, that these were not just sandwiches, they were a gastronomic delight! What a find. We will be back. By the way the Chef came out to our table to see if our food was acceptable!

2  Thank SailingAway2013

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had lunch one day and breakfast the next because there was really no other place open for breakfast. Although the food is very good, the poor service makes it difficult to have a good dining experience. I think the chef is excellent but perhaps does not know how to run his own restaurant.
First, although there are open tables with menus on them, it is confusing about whether you are supposed to sit down and wait to order or go to the counter and order. It appears all customers are similarly confused and both actions happen. One day the server came to our table, the next day no one came and when we finally got up to order since people were lining up, someone else came along and took our table. Then the waitress's responses were odd. She said my eggs came with toast. I asked her if there was a choice of toast. She said yes and then just looked at me. So I asked her what kind of toast she had trouble remembering but finally named 3 and I ordered the French. When I got my order it was french toast, not eggs and toast. At lunch we ordered chicken salad, and were given a chicken wrap. Both times the food was exchanged for the correct order and the food was very good. The pastries are wonderful but the coffee is bad (maybe the waitress makes it). But then you have to wait forever for your bill while the waitress clears empty tables and just walks around in a daze. We finally got up and went to her to pay the bill and she acted like she had never seen us before and was confused that she had already waited on us and we wanted to pay our bill. This place could be fabulous if they got a manager and some decent wait staff.

Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

To start, I asked the server about a few items on the menu and she couldn't tell me any details of the items. I ordered the blueberry pancakes and strawberry banana pancakes were delivered. When I did receive the blueberry pancakes, the middle was not cooked through (still batter visible). I sent them back and just ordered a cherry scone, which was incredibly dry and distasteful. My sister got the spiced pecan waffle and there were two shells on her meal. Lastly, when I received the bill, we were charged $3.00 for a muffin that we never ordered nor received.

During all of this, the staff was neither friendly nor apologetic, they just seemed annoyed by our presence. I'm not usually one to complain, but I also live and work in Northern Michigan restaurants and this experience was unacceptable. We will not be returning or recommending this restaurant to other locals.

3  Thank Cat0717
Reviewed 18 August 2013

On the Waterfront Art Fair Saturday, we discovered Simonsen's and what a find it was. I had their chicken salad (pictured) and raspberry struedel. In one word --Yummy!! The food was exceptional, the service delightful, and the sidewalk setting (with a dog) under an umbrella superb. I wish I had discovered it earlier!!

1  Thank MPatrick33629
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stopped in for a quick breakfast and were transported to Paris. The photos from France and the owner's certificates from Le Cordon Bleu created a nice atmosphere. The scones are outstanding! We recommend a visit.

1  Thank MEB55304