“Nice Summer Treat / Closed In The Winter”
Review of Simonsen's Bakery & Cafe - CLOSED

Simonsen's Bakery & Cafe
Charlevoix, Michigan
“Nice Summer Treat / Closed In The Winter”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

You will love the pastries and the coffee is good as well. I have only eaten breakfast here but have found it to be consistently good. Nice location right on main street across from the waterside park.

Visited September 2013

Bailey, Michigan
“Delicious”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We had heavenly chicken pot pie, which also came with a small salad on the side of the plate which was perfect. There were fresh vegetables, tender chicken and a dreamy creamy French sauce with pastry on the bottom and puff pastry on top. A professionally trained chef and it shows.

Visited October 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“Surprisingly good, just a delightful bite of food!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We sat outside on a coolish, but sunny, last day of summer because we had our little dogs. Soup was really good, freshly made pea soup, perfect. The salad was very good as well. But the bread, well, it was excellent! Nice people who served us and even brought a bowl of water for our pups. It's charming!

Perrysburg, Ohio
“A rainy day.”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

It was a short time before the season was over for Simonsen's We ducked into Simonsen's, not knowing that in fact, it would become one of our more delightful experiences. Small but with a menu that is large in taste and presentation. I didn't take long to realize that this was a special restaurant, and the food was prepared by Chef's not cooks. As we darted between raindrops, there was an open door at the side of the restaurant that I mistakenly began to inter, and the Chef said, " you come in here you'll have to wear an apron", and then we of course went to the front door. The front of the restaurant is all glass, which adds to the uniqueness of it location, which is adjacent to the outlet into Lake Michigan, with a drawbridge and Yacht club within view.
I ordered the Turkey Pannini with brie, oven roasted turkey, and cherry compote. Kay, my partner ordered the chicken salad wrap, with Dried Michigan cherries, celery, walnuts, and light coriander mayo. Until that time, we weren't aware that our sandwiches were being prepared by Chef's, but almost instantly it was apparent, that these were not just sandwiches, they were a gastronomic delight! What a find. We will be back. By the way the Chef came out to our table to see if our food was acceptable!

2 Thank SailingAway2013
New London, New Hampshire
“Good food, terrible service”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had lunch one day and breakfast the next because there was really no other place open for breakfast. Although the food is very good, the poor service makes it difficult to have a good dining experience. I think the chef is excellent but perhaps does not know how to run his own restaurant.
First, although there are open tables with menus on them, it is confusing about whether you are supposed to sit down and wait to order or go to the counter and order. It appears all customers are similarly confused and both actions happen. One day the server came to our table, the next day no one came and when we finally got up to order since people were lining up, someone else came along and took our table. Then the waitress's responses were odd. She said my eggs came with toast. I asked her if there was a choice of toast. She said yes and then just looked at me. So I asked her what kind of toast she had trouble remembering but finally named 3 and I ordered the French. When I got my order it was french toast, not eggs and toast. At lunch we ordered chicken salad, and were given a chicken wrap. Both times the food was exchanged for the correct order and the food was very good. The pastries are wonderful but the coffee is bad (maybe the waitress makes it). But then you have to wait forever for your bill while the waitress clears empty tables and just walks around in a daze. We finally got up and went to her to pay the bill and she acted like she had never seen us before and was confused that she had already waited on us and we wanted to pay our bill. This place could be fabulous if they got a manager and some decent wait staff.