“Good food, surly staff.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Johan's Cafe - CLOSED

Johan's Cafe
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: has been a pastry shop, now he's opened it up to a quaint little cafe
Allen Park, Michigan
“Good food, surly staff.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

I had the pleasure of getting sandwiches from this shop twice while I stayed in charlevoix. While the sandwiches were good, the service and attitude of the employees was very less than stellar. It seemed very troublesome of them to even put multiple carry out orders into a bag for easy carrying. I had a second opportunity to have a sandwich fromthis shop one evening and encountered severely disinterested staff who were more interested in their friends visiting and chatting than helping customers

Visited August 2012

Naperville, Illinois
“Great paninis and sweets”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We (me, teens, 17 and 11) had lunch here during Venetian Nights at the end of July. Although Charlevoix is heaving at this time of year, we were able to get a table outside, thus enjoying the good food and the music from the band playing on the grass opposite. Great views of the water as well. Food was very good, filling and ample choice for everyone with completely different tastes. They have a large bakery section and the paninis and salads were great too.

• Visited July 2012
Oakland Township, MI
“Great panini's and salads...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

We wandered into Johan's after seeing a number of people coming out with what looked like delicious salads, and since it was close to lunch, figured we needed to try this place today. Kind of funky, old atmosphere, great art work, which we had pleennnttttyyy of time to admire while waiting - like others have said, a little disorganized, but really worth the wait. The turkey with cheese and peach spread panini was simply delicious! The salads were absolutely large enough to split, made fresh, and also delicious - tomorrow morning we might have to stop in and grab some of the fab looking donuts!

• Visited August 2012
Cincinnati
“Great Sandwiches in Charlevoix (But Slow & Pricey)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

On our most recent visit to Charlevoix, we were pleased to find a few new restaurants in town, and we decided to try Johan's for lunch.

I had the Turkey Club, which was nothing short of outstanding. My son had the Four Cheese Panini, and my wife had the All Veggie Panini, both of which were tasty and satisfying ( I should know; I tasted them both)! All sandwiches came with fresh kettle chips. We were able to sit outside in front of the storefront and people-watch while we ate.

Johan's had several sandwiches to choose from along with various other food items and specialty drinks. A quaint little restaurant with high-quality sandwiches is just want Charlevoix needed.

And now for the negatives, which prevent me from giving Johan's a five-star rating...They were extremely slow to get the orders out. We stopped there for lunch a little after 2:00pm and there were only a few parties before us, but it took about 25 minutes for Johan's to get our sandwich orders out. The couple before us was also waiting a long time because I could see that they were starting to get testy. At one point, I noticed that the three people working in the kitchen had all left their stations. Not a good thing to do when the customers can see you working and have been waiting a long time to get their orders.

Another negative was that there were at least three large food carts out in the dining area which not only took up valuable space (Johan's is not very big) but was also a bit of an eyesore. Those food carts should be in the back out of sight of diners. One of them had what looked like defective pastries on them, just sitting there.

The third negative? Flies. Lots of them flying around the dining area. I was glad we sat outside.

Unfortunately, there is a fourth negative. The food was fantastic, but pricey. Three sandwiches with chips + three waters = about $40.00. Yep, 40 BUCKS. It was good, but not worth that much dough.

Finally, after we finished eating, I went inside to request a to-go box. One of the cooks handed it to me, and I told him that the sandwiches were absolutely delicious...but do you think he would at least say "thank you, I appreciate hearing that?" Nope. He just looked at me and sort of grunted before walking away. You're welcome.

Anyway, the sandwiches are great and it's worth a visit if you've got patience to wait.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank John G
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Fresh donuts, pies and made to order sandwiches every day!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

From day one the secret was out when this long time bakery opened in Charlevoix. There are often lines and are at times the place is disorganized. But who cares- we are on vacation! There are no full breakfasts such as eggs but a good croissant, or fresh bread sandwich with a slice of cherry pie a la mode- life is good!

Visited July 2012