“Excellent staff, decent room, good experience”

Charlevoix Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Charlevoix
Detroit, Michigan
“Excellent staff, decent room, good experience”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My wife and I just got back from a two-night stay at Charlevoix Inn & Suites.

The inn is located on the eastern outskirts of town, which is nice is you're looking for a break from all the hustle and bustle of the main downtown (read: touristy) area.

The lobby area is clean and relatively spacious, with a small seating area, the breakfast room, pool room, vending/ice machines, lobby and travel brochures stand all connected to it. There is also a table with multiple types of coffee/tea, hot water, sugar/cream available to guests 24/7.

We stayed in a deluxe queen suite room. We were able to look out at Lake Charlevoix and open the windows to let in the cool lake breeze, which was very relaxing. My wife said it reminded her of looking out over Lake Lucerne in Switzerland from a hotel room on our honeymoon.

The room itself was bright, very clean and convenient. The main room had a HD TV, couch, chair, coffee table, small side table, and desk with a business chair. The kitchenette area had a sink, half-fridge (with a decent sized freezer section), mounted microwave and plenty of drawers/cabinets. On the sink were a dish towel and dishwashing soap. One of the cabinets had silverware, a box of plastic cutlery, glasses and plastic dishes/bowls. There were also a few paper plates, which were appreciated since the idea of melting their plastic dishes in the microwave was not appealing. There was also a individual cup coffee maker with several packets of coffee. (And, of course, if you want more coffee/tea, it's available in the lobby.)

The bedroom had a large dresser with plenty of drawers, a bedside table with a drawer, a large sink area and a walk-in closet to hang clothes and store luggage in. Yes, the bathroom itself is pretty small (toilet on the right side of the sliding door, shower to the left side).

There were some small scuff marks on the wall and the light in the actual shower itself needs to be replaced (but the light in the bathroom is fine, so you're hardly showering in darkness).

The continental breakfast was a step above the normal continental breakfast experience thanks to two waffle makers and the availability of hard boiled eggs, which I've rarely found at a continental breakfast. They also had fresh fruit, bread/English muffins, danishes/muffins, yogurt and several varieties of cereal.

However, what made the trip was the staff. My wife and I had car problems and needed to leave a day earlier than expected. I worried that this was going to be an issue, as I had paid up-front through Groupon. Raini, the night clerk, contacted Jonathan, the general manager about my situation and he said it would be no problem giving me a voucher for a future stay to cover any nights we might miss because of our car. This was deeply appreciated, as I know that the hotels are paid up front by Groupon and not obligated to compensate guests if their trips are cut short. This showed me that they really are concerned about their guests.

The day we left, Nancy called Bob from the front desk, and he jumped my car so we could leave--including following us to the nearby gas station so he could jump us again. He did this without complaint and was happy to help. The whole staff was as friendly and helpful as Bob. They made a frustrating situation easier to deal with.

Value-wise, it is a great deal for the price that you pay, considering there are easily more expensive places to stay downtown and they seem to be concerned with doing the little things right. I'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank detroithawkeye
Jonathan P, General Manager at Charlevoix Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Good evening!

Thank you so much for your stay and your thoughtful and thorough review of your stay. It's nice to read how much you enjoyed your stay and especially our service. Service for our guests is so important, and we're happy to do just about anything to make a guest happy - especially things that are not expected.

Thank you so much and we'll be happy to welcome you back very soon.

For the love of hospitality,

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Farmington, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Exterior is attractive and the property is close to town where the restaurants and shopping are located. Room keys did not work well requiring return to check in. We had room with two queens and they were beyond soft. No good if you prefer a firm mattress. Bathroom was small, only a sliding door and shower stall, no tub. Clean. Coffee maker and good supply of coffee in room and in lobby. We wanted to stay in Petosky but everything was full there so we went to Charlevois.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ralph R
Hello!

Thank you for your review and your stay. I'm happy that you found the hotel attractive from the outside. We are continuing to improve the entire property with many more improvements planned. I'm sorry that the room keys and the mattress didn't work well for you. I'm happy that everything was clean, though. I will look into the room key issue and the mattresses, as well.

Thank you for your review. I hope you have a good end of summer.

For the love of hospitality,

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The room was quite small, but was adequate for one night. The pool and jacuzzi were very hazy, not clean at all. The scum on the sides of the pool was so thick that people (children?) were writing their names on the scum. The hand rails were clean until they got to water level, then very hard thick scum was covering the steel/metal. There was also very thick mold present on the ceiling tiles in this room. A potential health issue. I consider this an unhealthy atmosphere. There were not enough chairs. This was advertised as water view, for which I paid extra. Well the lake was about a mile away, and you could barely see the sail boats. Could have used binoculars. Air conditioner did not work, so we had to open the window, thank goodness that it could be opened, The window did not lock when closed, but we were on the 3rd floor, so it turned out OK. The lights over the bed did not work, nor the one next to the dresser. The front desk personnel were friendly and attentive, but very busy for one person. The breakfast was adequate and sure beats having to find a restaurant, or take the time to do so. It has what we needed, thanks for that. The bed and pillows were comfy and very clean. This is located a straight shot into Downtown Charlevoix. A very nice little shopping area, beautiful marina, and we enjoyed the Farmers Market.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maryann B
Jonathan P, General Manager at Charlevoix Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Good day!

Thank you for your review, and I'm very sorry for the condition you found our pool area and the room. I assure you that I am addressing this issue immediately.

In regards to our Lake Charlevoix views, I'm sorry that you didn't care that we are set back from Lake Charlevoix. While we don't have direct lake access, we certainly do have gorgeous views from many of our rooms of the lake - something we feel thankful for instead of having just views of a parking lot or a busy street.

Thank you for your stay, and I hope you have a wonderful summer!

Olivet, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We went to Charlevoix Inn & Suites as a group of friends over Memorial Day Weekend. We were all able to get reservations very easily a couple weeks prior to the holiday. The rate was ok. The bedding and rooms were clean. However, the door lock had been jammed in the past and you had to be very careful to make sure the door was pushed tightly closed and then locked down with all the locks to make sure the room was secure. The window latches were also broken but we were on the 3rd floor so I didn't have too much concern over that for the stay. We were impressed with the options for breakfast because they fulfilled our desire to have good healthy food options and not just carb calorie heavy foods. Check in was a little longer than desired but that was due to the influx of guests and the staffing of only one employee. She was very pleasant and knowledgeable but it was too much for one person to handle.

Here is the unacceptable part of our long weekend stay: The pool had black mold around the railings, the ceiling tiles and the windows. The chemicals were too high in the hot tub but with the mold, it was probably a good thing. We would hesitate to stay here again due to the condition of the pool area.

Our group did all receive surveys about our stay at the hotel the week after our stay. Every person commented on the pool. We were surprised that we never received any feedback over the issue.

Room Tip: We had friends of various floors. We did not see any advantage to any of the rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Good day!

Thank you for your review and your stay at our hotel.. While I'm pleased that you enjoyed our staff, but I'm very sorry for the condition of pool and other items you found during your stay. Please accept my apologies to not responding to the surveys that reported this issue. When the surveys don't have the guest's name, I don't respond out of respect to the guest's privacy. If the guest leaves their name, then I do respond. I'm sorry we're not more clear on that with our surveys.

In regards to the number of employees at the Front Desk and the pool issue, we are addressing both. We have hired additional Front Desk associates and have been doing more updates to the property in the past few weeks. Since taking over the property in June 2013, we have done many improvements, and we're happy to have many more planned. With our increased quality and increased business, we have seen the need for more employees as well. I am truly sorry how this affected your stay, but I assure you that we are working to resolve it and continue to make our hotel better.

Thank you again and I hope you have a wonderful summer!

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The rooms were clean and the staff was very helpful. It is one of the most cost effective locations very close to the city. It is comfortable but not luxury. If you are looking for value and still stay close to the city, this is a good choice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HyattHilton
Jonathan P, General Manager at Charlevoix Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hello!

Thank you for your stay and your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel and the proximity it is to downtown Charlevoix. We are continually improving the property. Since June 2013, when we took ownership of the hotel, we have done a done of "back-of-house" items as well as some "front-of-house" items. More are in the works in the very near future.

Thank you again and have a great day!

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

The reviews for this hotel seemed good. So we gave it a shot. We arrived early at 1:30 and room was not available. Not a big deal as check in is 3. So we went downtown and came back at 2:45. Room was still not ready as other people arrived and checked in. 3 still not ready. We finally checked in at 3:20. Or room just got vacuumed. Usually this is not an issue but we had a wedding at 5pm. And this is the first time a hotel has checked me in late. I was not even offered a small discount. In fact they made it seem normal at desk. Either way I can't recommend it. Hotel room was also very small. Maybe it's the one I booked but smallest room I ever stayed in as well.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tone F
Good day!

Thank you so much for your review, but I'm terribly sorry for the trouble you had with the room not being prepared in time for your arrival. I have addressed this with my Front Desk and Housekeeping teams. I'm terribly sorry that the Front Desk didn't offer you a discount for the trouble you were put through as well. If you would like to contact me directly at jpack@rileyhg.com, I would be happy to make this right for you.

Thank you again for your stay and your review. I hope you had a good time at the wedding.

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Stopped in late and they were very nice and had a room available. Rooms are nice and clean. Pool and hot tub very clean. Great experience and would come here again. Very reasonable priced. Staff are very nice. You get more than you pay for ..........

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Tanya V
Jonathan P, General Manager at Charlevoix Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for your review and your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed everything. You should like our renovations coming soon! We're excited to keep making the hotel better and better for our guests - we love creating great value! Have a wonderful day and come to Charlevoix soon again.

Jonathan P.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlevoix
Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites
The Apple Tree Inn
The Apple Tree Inn
#7 of 15 in Petoskey
Hampton Inn & Suites Petoskey

Been to Charlevoix Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!