“Not bad, would stay again, but leadership appears to be lacking”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chelsea
Midland, Michigan
“Not bad, would stay again, but leadership appears to be lacking”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Booking was easy, price was right, lobby was good enough. Room was of comfortable temp, heat, TV and internet worked well. Bed was comfortable, and I would stay again and recommend. However, there were a few things that were a bit off, maybe unusual. Most hotels will slide your bill under your door, negating the need to check out at the desk. Mgt, do not suggest that this is for better service, it isn't. I don't want to have to stop at the front desk, coat on, bags in hand in the morning and when the clerk asks,,,,can I help you? Well, it should be pretty obvious what I want. This is not the type of hotel that would encur extra charges other than the room charge. Breakfast should start earlier, 6:30 is too late. By 6:00 the breakfast area already had nearly 20 people in it waiting for food.....don't blame a large booking, just get the food out earlier, you knew there would be a large party, pick up the phone and call the breakfast lady in earlier. Desk staff and or manager would have been able to see the crowd and stepped up to help the poor woman doing her best to take care of the crowd. TWO entrances directly from outdoors into the eating area,,,,temp was -15F and everytime someone went in and out, those inside got that blast of cold air. If these are fire exits, make it so that a person can go out in an emergency, but not enter,,,simple fix, and no, no one was holding the door, they were both unlocked. There is a key card entry just steps away, allow (make) people use that, one for security, two for comfort of those indoors trying to eat breakfast. If the parking lot is full out front, and you have to park out back there is no sidewalk that goes all the way around to the front door,,,,forcing people carrying bags to walk out in the snowy parking lot.....Get a shovel, train someone how to use it, and make them do their job,,,same for the one keyed entrance in the back,,,,two entrances,only one keyed(?) Shovel them both, and don't even try to blame the weather, it is February in Michigan, deal with it, it is part of the job. The hotel stay was good, other than these slip ups, or failure to do the simple things,,,,,the things that took this from a 5 to a 4, had these oddities not been present it would have been perfect. These are not an employee or training issue, the buck stops at the leadership, and this, in my mind was the weakest link, i.e. poor leadership. Don't apologize or just strive for the best service, do it; any response indicating such will be poorly recieved.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank michigander311
Comfort Inn C, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you, michigander311 for taking the time to wright a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. You did have several valid points in your review. I have shared your review with both our General Manager and Owner. These are things we all need to know affect our guests and need to be addressed now. I greatly appreciate all of your comments. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. Again thank you for your honestly, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you for choosing Comfort Inn.

Kind regards,

Veronica H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed her for three nights in February. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Had a very nice conference center for our meetings. Food was good and service was excellent. Breakfast was typical and served hot.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom H
Comfort Inn C, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a TripAdvisor review for our property. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and the Village Conference Center space. We hope to see you again soon. Have a wonderful day.

Front Desk Manager

734-433-8000
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

The physical appearance of this hotel is quite nice. Housekeeping details are overlooked. Our particular room smelled like dirty feet upon entering. The whole place just felt sticky. It looked as if though basic things were done like beds changed and surface wiping. Other cleaning tasks seemed neglected. Maybe the reason for the smell. Staff was accommodating enough. Average Comfort Inn. I would inspect room for cleanliness prior to staying again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GMBayCity
Comfort Inn C, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Please allow me to apologize for the poor experience you had on your visit. I did share your review with all of our staff, including the housekeeping supervisor. We are committed to all of our guests satisfaction. Please let me know if there is anything we could have done to make it right for you.

Front Desk Manager

734-433-8000
chelseacomfortinn@gmail.com
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I found myself traveling to a new area with a sick pet. I was so happy to find such a decent quality in a pet friendly hotel.

The decor was really nice and clean, and the beds were super comfy. Nice linens and amenities as well.

The staff really goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful.

If I find myself back in the area, there is only ONE place I would choose...THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank prettipinkprincess
Thank you! We hope to see you again soon
Kalamazoo
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I decided to give this hotel a try because the Jackson Comfort Inn is grossly overpriced. I liked what I found! The staff was very friendly and helpful. They had drinks and snacks available at check in, which was nice. The room was large and the bed comfortable. The room did not have a microwave or refrigerator, but they said that those were in some of the rooms and were being added in others. The TV channel selection was acceptable. There is a stop light at the end of the street that the hotel is on, so access is easy. Also, the breakfast was above average (it had bacon!) On the downside, the food choices around the hotel is a bit limited. Also, the internet was very slow. If I'm working in the area again, I would stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank travelbobKalamazoo
Thank you! We are all very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Please come see us again soon!
Munith,MI
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed at the Comfort inn, Chelsea Michigan recently. The rooms were clean and enjoyed the nice TV in the room. Though I well say the Breakfast wasn't very good. The pastry's were stale and the Eggs were Terrible. I wasn't very expressed with there breakfast. I probably would stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side of the Hotel on the upper floor, looking towards the West. The room was quit...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Comfort Inn C, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. I will share your review with our staff and management so that we may handle the issues you had with the breakfast. Please do give us an other oprotunity to provide you with a good, clean, stay with experior service. Have a great day.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Veronica, an employee at this hotel, was extremely helpful on the phone when I was desperately trying to find a hotel room for some last minute plans. She went above and beyond her duties and managed to find me a hotel very close to my destination which was incredibly awesome. Thanks so much for your stellar customer service!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for filling out a review! I was more than happy to help you. Some times it is suprisingly hard to find a hotel room in our area, especially if you are not from the area. Thank you again, and we hope next time you are in the area you get the chance to stay at our property.

Veronica Hubler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelsea
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ann Arbor West
Weber's
Weber's
#11 of 35 in Ann Arbor
Baymont Inn & Suites Jackson

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!