“Excellent way to experience Pictured Rocks !!”

Paddling Michigan/Uncle Ducky Outdoors
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Christmas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My first visit to Pictured Rocks was on the regular ferry which was good. But for my second trip I decided to take the kayak tour and it was mind blowing. The well experienced team took us underneath the beautiful rocks and cave formations which was stunning. The whole tour took almost 6-7 hours so I advise adequate breakfast and packed lunch to eat half-way to the tour. This tour was the highlight of my trip and one of the most beautiful experiences ever.

3  Thank CriticLife

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Viewing the Pictured Rocks from a kayak is definitely an unbeatable experience. However, the Uncle Ducky's outfitter in Munising leaves much to be desired. We took the 1:00 tour, so that's probably why they had no dry bags left. Also, when the guides recognized that our spray skirts didn't fit, they said, "Well, don't worry, you probably won't get that wet." Of course, kayaking Lake Superior, one will probably get a little bit wet. But when you have a paddle without drip rings AND a spray skirt that doesn't fit, be prepared to get REALLY wet. Others in the group had rudders that didn't work. We wasted a lot of time just floating in the water because, as oiur guide said, "WE" kept losing the group. Personally, I think they had too many people on the tour and couldn't handle it. The equipment was not in good condition, and the 1/2 day trip we took did not match the description given on the website (says Miner's Castle, but we went in the opposite direction).

Will definitely kayak the Pictured Rocks again, but not with this outfitter.

Also - while you're in the area, go try the Riptide Ride - it's a blast!

4  Thank theDR101
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We had taken a trip to the UP 5 years ago and after seeing Pictured Rocks said we would return and kayak this shoreline. I found Uncle Ducky's and made arrangements with them well before our July Trip. We selected a date early in our vacation so if the weather was bad we could reschedule another day. I found the staff very helpful when booking the trip and this continued all the way through the entire experience. Pictured Rocks are magnificent and seeing them via kayak is super. The guides are well trained in all safety procedures and can have even a novice paddling in no time. I'm hoping to take a spring trip Sea Kayak trip among the ice floes with them in 2014.

1  Thank BlueFleck
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

This was our first time ever kayaking, so maybe a bit long for first timers. We did the paddlers choice. Had a wonderful time, but next time we'll probably do the half day trip. Amazing up close views, great time seeing pictured rocks. Loved our tour guide Ethan also, very personable :)

2  Thank cnschwab2104
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I dropped our kids off at camp and headed to the Upper Peninsula for a kayaking trip. The Paddling Michigan staff was great. The day we were supposed to do Pictured Rocks, the waves were 4 feet and too dangerous so they informed everyone they could get a refund, wait for tomorrow or do the Grand Island tour. We opted to do Grand Island and it was just as spectacular. Our guide Miles was great and gave us a lot of history about Grand Island and Lake Superior. Afterwards, we drove through Pictured Rocks and stopped at MIners Castle, the various waterfalls, etc. We stayed in Grand Marais which is a good hour from Munising so plan accordingly if you don't stay in Munising.

2  Thank Shell Z