“Pastries galore!”

Price range: US$1 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
Description: There is a doughnut shop and bakery in Clare, Michigan that has been in constant operation since 1896. This foundation business was within weeks of closing when the members of the Clare Police Department came to the rescue. All of them. That's right, all nine members of the local police department banded together to save this historic business.Dubbed "Cops and Doughnuts," the business boasts handmade confections of all types. Join us for a warm fresh doughnut and a steaming cup of Cops Coffee while you enjoy the police decor and friendly, and very safe, atmosphere. Come and see the new store in Clare that everyone is talking about.Since opening as Cops & Doughnuts our business has expanded in to other adjoining store fronts allowing us to ad the "Cop Shop" our apparel and souvenir shop. And the "Traffic Stop Diner" featuring many American Diner favorites.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hard a really hard time deciding which pastries to get as I really wanted one of them all! Selection is vast. The young man behind the bakery counter was patient with us and explained each item so we could make better choices. The iced pumpkin cookie was outrageously good. And so was every other thing we got. We also had lunch from the diner. We had a pulled pork sandwich and sat outdoors to eat. I was really impressed that one of the owners (a cop) came by to clear off our dishes when we were done. The pork was tasty. Will definitely return to this fine establishment!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The baked goods were excellent. Service was excellent and the free samples helped you choose what you liked. They also had great hours with a section for tee shirts.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I went in the afternoon and was surprised that there was a line, but it went very fast and they were friendly. It was fairly easy to get to. Expensive.
The bear claws and sour cream donuts were very good.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit, even though I am in the area every summer. My grandma lives in nearby Harrison, but we don't venture into Clare too often. Last summer I saw a billboard and meant to visit but never made it. This summer I was sure to make a drive through Clare as my two littles love donuts as much as their mom. :)

Just FYI, there's a "substation" in Harrison but it closes early.. By noon or sooner but luckily I noticed that Steve's Market in Harrison now has the donuts. They were just as good as the ones at the main bakery. I mentioned this to a fellow traveler who was in the area driving from FL to upper MI and had wanted to stop in Clare but didn't get a chance to. They were happy to be able to still get some donuts as they drove through Harrison on their way to Cadillac. On Thursdays they have donut holes..a fave of my kids. We tried their apple fritters several times and they were fantastic... Dangerously good. Their custard filled long johns weighed about as much as a newborn and were quite good. Their sour cream old fashions were awesome as was their giant oatmeal cream pie. I brought some home to Milwaukee for the rest of my fam to sample and my 14yo son liked their bacon topped donut. My dairy intolerant 21yo was able to enjoy several of their amish fried pies as they were dairy free. {The staff were great at checking for allergens and all of the staff we interacted with were friendly and efficient.} The place seems well loved by locals and frequented by people like me who are visiting the area or traveling through. We also tried their shredded pork sandwich one day and it was great.

That particular day an elderly couple asked me about my two little girls and spent more than 20 mins telling me all about their life and family.. Turns out they had a cabin in my state of WI {Rhinelander} when they were raising their 3 children. So I got some history lessons about the area and life in the upper Midwest from the viewpoint of a cute little old married couple along with great donuts. I took their picture.. They were enjoying a pastie and bringing home custard filled long johns. The man had me pick up his bag to show me how heavy it was. Haha. They told me they drove in from Midland.

It's a great place and seems well loved.

One warning though, I bought a bag of coffee {$8} to bring home to my husband and it was absolutely horrible. Just awful. So, you might want to pass on bringing any home.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Alright, if you're going to come here, you need to suspend your diet for 24 hours and give yourself permission to pig out! This place is a well oiled machine! The customer service here is excellent. The workers easily handle the crowd. The donuts were magnificent. I'm not exactly a donut connoisseur, but these were some of the freshest, tastiest, donuts I've ever had in my life. This place is obviously very popular, they sell a lot of donuts, and therefore the product is always extremely fresh. The gift shop is also very cute and they have a lot of novelty products that are really funny. It's literally only a few minutes off of the freeway so if you're heading up north, it's well worth the stop. Indulge your inner Homer Simpson!

1  Thank CheddaP