Doherty Hotel
US$147
Wolds Motel(Mount Pleasant)
US$60
Agoda.com
Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites(Mount Pleasant)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$79
Chippewa Motel(Mount Pleasant)
US$59
US$129
Travelocity
US$68
Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort(Mount Pleasant)
US$147
US$137
All reviewsgolf packagegas fireplacevery nice staypool area isan older hotelget awayroom was largefamily run hotelsandwichhot tublocal areanice surpriseincluded breakfastomelet stationkeep an eyeolder partirish pub
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We stayed here because my husband was being cheap. For just a couple of dollars more we could have stayed in a hotel that was AAA approved and inspected by a brand that cared about its quality. My first inkling that thing may go wrong was when we trip mapped it and our Triple A agent said you know this isn’t approved or inspected for quality. The rooms were not very spacious the wall were paper thin highlighted by the couple in the next room making sure each could hear how each was pleasured by the other while their TV was blaring. Yes, my husband found it funny but I found it obscene. I did not want to share my romantic getaway with our next door neighbors (my husband didn’t laugh after that). The bed was too soft for my liking. The water never seemed to get hot enough and the motif of the motel seemed to come from the seventies (?). It is definitely time to start investing in room upgrades. We did not eat in the restaurant but it seemed to be recently remodeled. Maybe some of the food profit can go to keeping the motel guests happy.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malorie F
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I was very disapointed with events that transpired at this facility. Upon arrival our reservation was no where to be found. We were eventually given a room but in the old section. There is a reason not to select this section it is old small and undesireable. The staff seemed unresponsive and apathetic. This just was not the stay the that we had envisioned. Very unhappy.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Greg F
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I don't know what has changed since the last reviewer stayed here, but almost none of what he said was true when I stayed at this place. The rate (at 55 dollars) was pretty good I usually stay at really nice places and rarely pay much more than 79. My room this was a gigantic disappointment. Sure it is folksy to stay at a 90 year old hotel but not when the mattress is original. (Truthfully it was probably only ten or fifteen years old) The carpet didn't look as it had been vacuumed, the furniture was worn and dated. The towels had that beige look that they get when they are just old and cannot be whitened with any kind of bleach. The room was just dinky (my mom has a walk-in closet that is this big) The TV was from last century and only nineteen inches. So fine if I was going to stay here I could take steps to fix my problems. I would go down to the desk and ask for clean sheets and towels. Instead I stood and listened while the clerk gets an earful from a restaurant patron who feels things are not up to par. Never again will I stay in an unknown hotel. I’ll spend the 10 or 20 dollars more and stay in someplace respectable. At least it feel clean.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ken L
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Our golf group has been coming up to the Doherty for over 20 years and they have always taken very good care of us. We have grown from a foursome to over 50 guys, and we'll keep coming back to the Doherty. Fo the last 15 years, I have researched other Michigan golf packages and this is still the best deal. The package is very reasonably priced and gives a good variety of courses. Also, we have had no problems with the hotel meeting any of our group's needs. To be sure, this isn't the Ritz-Carlton, but for the value of hotel and golf in mid-Michigan, there is no way to beat this.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
SuzysuzyQ, Director of Sales at Doherty Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your time, kind words and repeat business. Working with golfers is one of my favorite job duties. I look forward to seeing familiar faces return year after year. Thank you for making me love my job!

Reviewed 26 September 2012

A group of five made reservations here because of meeting we had in the area , most rooms were nearly sold out in the area and this was our last choice. There are reasons why this motel had availability! When we entered the lobby, the smell of smoke and mustiness was prevalent. The front desk clerk was unpleasant and unhelpful. The elevator was actually scary - so old and out-dated, we opted for the stairs when possible. Each person went to their room; we planned to meet in a room shortly after. Our room was very tired, and not very clean. We actually pulled down the spread and briefly checked the sheets because we were concerned about the cleanliness. We proceeded to our friend's room to find that one of the couples checked their bed and actually found a bug - that jumped! Gross. We were checking the room, and found other cleanliness issues. One other person said it looked as if their sheets hadn't even been changed. (Extreme gross) We knew we couldn't stay, and since there were no other vacancies, we went home - fortunately only about an hour and a half away. A very unacceptable end to our business in Clare.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business