“A wonderful stay in a historical hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Doherty Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clare
Doherty Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Clare
Cherry Valley, Illinois
“A wonderful stay in a historical hotel”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed my stay. We didn't have any hot water one night. The front desk sent someone up within five minutes and the problem was solved. The pool area looked nice and inviting. The room was very comfortable and very clean. The staff was awesome and we also enjoyed the restaurant. Can 't wait to go back again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank ssim1959

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed at the Doherty on a business trip. I was completely and utterly disappointed! I stayed in room 103 across from the pool, in what I was told was the "new" section of the hotel by staff. They did indicate that they did not use the rooms in the "old" part since they need renovations. I can say that the room I stayed in was in need of major renovations itself. Very dated! For a place that bills itself as a hotel and conference center it would seem logical to have a desk and chair in the rooms, not just a table with two kitchen type chairs. The beds were awful and the walls were so thin I could hear EVERYTHING in the rooms on either side of me!

Room Tip: Another hotel!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Stacy A
Woodhaven, Michigan
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel two weeks after staying there charged me $750 saying all three rooms where smoked in. Only one person out of the 7 smoke cigs and that is me and I went in my truck to do it. Tried calling and they hung up on me. They do this I think because they have no other customers to pay there bills . Now I have to hire a lawyer so I don't get robbed of my $. So if u stay there do not give them anything but cash!!!

• Stayed February 2014
10 Thank Drod2000
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The hotel could be a real piece of history if fixed up a little. It is a nice place to stay, staff is very friendly and willing to accommodate you with what you need. Its a little outdated but I enjoy staying here when I'm passing through.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Beaverton
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Great time and great party. This was our second year in a row to attend the New Year's Eve bash. It was a lot of fun. The Sinclair's are a great band and know how to get the party rolling. The food was delicious. There could have been a better flow of the lines, something that they need to work on next year. And...as I have said before, the spa area needs a little updating. Staff is always courteous and friendly and willing to help and Shirley in the lounge was always on top of her game keeping us well fed and never thirsty. Great Job Shirley!

Room Tip: We chose rooms on the second floor that are king rooms that overlook the pool area. They are very s...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The Doherty has quite a a history, Purple Gang, hauntings, murals, a Buffet - a delicious BUFFET and all that that entails. If you don't like Buffets, don't bother complaining. Because it is awesome. Clare, MI is delightful and food is plentiful. Cops and Doughnuts is across the street. As is Whitehouse - an amazing diner. But for a lovely, historical place to lay your head - please choose Doherty over Notel Sixes, EcoNOLodges, and other cookie cutter places. The room decor is sparse, but the very spacious with desk space, chairs and benches for visitors, beds are comfy, blankets are warm and pillows are plenty. Refrigerators, Irons and Ironing Boards, flat screen televisions and free internet are included. The pool area is clean and welcoming and even on a busy weekend - comfortable. No fitness center - BUT - the Clare Family Fitness down the street has a reciprocal agreement and I believe is open 24 hours. I was here on New Years Eve weekend and I am fairly certain most rooms were booked - I did not hear anything from anyone elses' rooms slight noise in the hallway, but nothing that would be considered out of the ordinary or intrusive. The staff is exceptional, from the group sales, to the front desk, to the bar staff. The regulars are equally delightful. This is not a stop to be missed in Mid Michigan. Big Thumbs up from me!

Room Tip: I was on the third floor - and I loved my room, spacious, clean, quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Detroit, MI
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last two years. The staff is very friendly. Rooms where just ok. This hotel could be a real gem if it was cared for more. It is sad that they do not make the updates so badly needed to make this a destination hotel in the center of Michigan.
The rooms are like the sixties and seventies. The hotel it's self is warm and quaint, with a turn of the century charm. Food is good, and the facility is set up to be a premier banquet center. It just that the guest rooms fall short. I would really like to this hotel live up to its potential. It really become a "couples get away resort" in the heart of Michigan.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the newer section. I hear they some more updated rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clare
Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant
#2 of 13 in Mount Pleasant
Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel and Conference Center
Courtyard Mt. Pleasant at Central Michigan University
Courtyard Mt. Pleasant at Centra...
#6 of 13 in Mount Pleasant
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant

Been to Doherty Hotel? Share your experiences!