“condemmed property all over the resort, if u can call it a resort”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coloma
Pottawattamie Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Coloma B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 May 2013

terrible conditions now the property has 5 condemmed buildings the garbage was not picked up for 3 months. It is unsafe there was a terrible fire that burned all of the cabins down, thank god no one was killed. the owners does nothing to improve the property the village is aware of all the problem and have condemmed the buildings.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank nancy p
Gerald J, Board Member at Pottawattamie Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

I am a board member of the Pottawattamie Condominium Association, in Coloma Michigan, which includes 6 board members, Our Association includes 23 condo's, 18 of which are are privately owned with a purchase price range of $175,000 to $595,000. Pottawattamie Resort is located on 19 acres of beautiful land overlooking Lake Michigan. We have a in ground pool, a paved Golf Cart path down to 500 feet of private beach. Our web site is Lakemichiganresort.com to show property and take virtual tours of most units. I am writing in response to a recent letter written by "nancy p".  First of all this letter was written by someone who has never stayed in any rental units, she is a neighbor who has developed a personal grudge against Pottawattamie. Yes it is true that there was a garbage problem this year, because no one rents or lives in units during winter months garbage service is suspended for 3 months. We never had a problem before but this year it seems that people living in area were using our garbage containers for their personal disposal, when the problem was brought to our attention the situation was handled. Yes there are 3 condemned buildings on property, one is a 11 unit solid brick motel which is empty because it was 1st building that was going to be torn down in redevelopment stage which was temporarily put on hold due to economic downturn, due to recession. This motel and 2 other 6 unit buildings are currently being readied to be brought down and new townhomes installed in their place.
We as condominium owners and investors in this property are extremely upset that Trip Adviser would post such a dangerous letter without doing proper research.  We are asking that this post be deleted, because of one person's unjust comment about a area that we all love so dearly.

Gerald Janicke
Pottawattamie Resort

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Be very careful if you haven't seen this place in person first. Their brochure makes it look like some nice resort with pool, cabins and condos. It has all that, but the compound as a whole is pretty scary. Many broken down cabins, and none of them were at all inviting. There were two condo buildings I believe, but we never got to see inside them. Here's why:

We had booked a lakeview condo for 5 nights, starting on a Tuesday. We had a confirmation letter from the owner specifying that. The instructions said to pick up the key at the Breeze Mart down the street. We arrived there on Tuesday around 5:00 PM, only to find that the Breeze Mart was closed! Its only open something like Wednesday through Sunday. That should have been our first sign that this wasn't going to go well.

Someone at the bar attached to the Breeze Mart called the resort manager, and after about 45 minutes we were told that there had been some mix-up, and our rental wasn't available. Needless to say, we were upset. The owner, who apparently lives in Chicago or somewhere else in Illinois, wasn't available, so we drove down to the "resort" and tried to speak to the on-site manager. She wasn't around either, so the only people around who worked there were the cleaning crew. They, of course, didn't know anything about our reservation, and other than assuring us that everything would be OK, couldn't help. So there we were, in the middle of nowhere in southwest michigan, with two kids and no place to stay.

We walked down to the beach (which was nice) and after about 30 minutes the owner called us. She apologized, and stated over and over again that she knew how we felt. Did she? Has she ever shown up for a pre-paid vacation rental, with her kids, with a confirmation letter in hand, and been told that the reservation had somehow been mysteriously lost?

She tried to place us into one of the "cabins" next to the pool. This was completely unacceptable. We paid almost $2000.00 for a lake-side condo, and end up with a run-down cabin next to the pool? We have a pool at home -- we didn't travel 300 miles to look at a pool.

Luckily for us, we were able to get a room at a hotel in St. Joe. We had to change rooms every night for four nights, but at least we had somewhere to stay.

We had to return to Pottawattamie a day or two later, since they hadn't bothered to refund our payment. Thank goodness we had put it on the credit card -- I doubt we would have gotten it back otherwise. We talked to the manager on-site, but she wasn't much help. It seems like the mottto for all the employees there is "we don't know anything, we just work here." The out-of-town owner apparently handles all of the reservations and "business" side of the resort. Makes it kind of tough to get problems resolved, esp. since she never seems to answer her phone. And the employees said she never comes to the resort, so don't expect to see the person you send the money to.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank CincyFamily
Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

I had my 30th birthday here and boy was it fun! The private beach was amazing as were the rooms :) We celebrated at a bar just up the road, Michigan Breeze, ate some pizza, listened to some tunes, and had some drinks. I never wanted to leave! Can't wait to go back again! Pottawattamie is most definitely my new spot :)

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Diamondgirlygirls
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have been going to Pottawattamie Resort with my Friends for over 15 years now. We rent the a cottage for 2 weeks. We love it there. I have 2 friends and a grown daughter who rent seperate cottages also. When I started coming to Pottawattamie our kids were teenagers. They stopped coming for awhile but now the love it again as Adults. The cabins our rustic but sufficant for summer time. They have everything we need for what we do on this vacation. We spend alot of time outside. We have dinner outside and a fire at night. we use the pool during the day which is always clean and perfect for our needs. The beach is wonderful. Miles of beach and not crowded. We set up our spot on the beach and use it for the 2 weeks we are there. The stairs going down to the beach are in the woods and the smell is wonderful. A road was put in when the condos (are also rentable) were sold and it is great. Bobby the caretaker will drive you up and down in a golf cart. He is great and helpful.

I love this place it is a place I look forward to going to all year long. I know the cabins are old but it is part of the charm. I have always had a clean cottage when I get there. The people who work there have been so nice and helpful that I have not had a problem while there. I know that I have not found a place as great as Pottowattamie and I hope the cabins will always be there for me and my family. Now my grand kids are coming up with their parents and the love the beach. And the pool.

Also Coloma has a great antique outlit mall, a great little Movie theater with bargin prices. St.Joes is so close and a beautiful little town. You can't beat this place for summer relaxation and fun. I can not find anything for a better price for a weekly rental on the lake. The miles of beach is its main attraction.

The racoons are bold as can be but that is everywhere now days. When the racoons came out we knew it was time for bed.

Room Tip: If your fussy rent one of the Condo's. The cabins are old but great for a nature vacation.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maryfran_12
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Went to Pottawattamie resort as a part of wedding party, must say it was the most beautiful wedding i have been to , what a great setting....A large tents set up on the spacious grounds, wedding was on bluff overlooking Lake Michigan . A golf cart path took you down to the privet beech.... We had a one bedroom condo with a great view of beach and the most magnificent view of sunset.Resort was close to St. Joseph and South Haven for places to visit and dine.
Everyone who stayed at the resort loved it, what a great way to spend along weekend ......
Cant wait to return in summer.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jaro21
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I've done a lot of camping in my day and can say that I've had better stays in a tent. This place isn't "rustic" as that still implies clean and a good deal. This place is neither.

We stayed in "cabin" #7. It's not a cabin, but a single wide trailer home on cinder blocks. As you enter the "cabin" you walk right into the first bedroom. It appears it was a sun room converted to a bedroom. Windows are all around the room with sheer drapes. This lets a lot of sun light in as well as preying eyes. I had to shield my wife as she changed clothes so as not to put on a show for our neighbors.

To get to the kitchen and bathroom, you must walk through another bedroom. This doesn't work well as you will wake your friends in the next room to use the bathroom or kitchen.

The window in the bathroom had a 2 inch gap between the frame and window. The solution was tap. A 2 inch gap was also between the floor and front door, large enough to let mice and other critters in.

The place was dirty. Stains all over the carpet and bathroom floor, the fridge made loud noises when it kicked on, it smelled musty.

This place charges WAY TO MUCH. I'd consider this place if it was $60 a night, but we paid 4 times that. My advice, steer clear of this dump. The reason they want you to pay up front is because you wouldn't want to pay once you get there.

Oh and the beds are gross. I've slept better in my fraternity days.

Room Tip: To get the best room, bring a tent.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank Shane C

The cabins this review is written about no longer exist, new units are to be built in their place

Gerald J

Reviewed 6 September 2011

This place is a dump. It is not clean, everything is broken, and the price is outrageous. The beds are just cots with egg crates. They should be embarrassed to rent a place like that. DO NOT STAY HERE. You have been warned.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank Anonymous A

The cabins this review refers to no longer exist, new units to be built in their place

Gerald J

Been to Pottawattamie Resort? Share your experiences!