“Clean, Convenient, Courteous!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Comstock Park
Detroit, Michigan
“Clean, Convenient, Courteous!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Spacious 2 Queen suites were super comfortable rooms: pillows are to die for, beds just the right firmness, and never seen a cleaner room or common area! Fridge, microwave, couch, table area is convenient and not cramped. We needed to be downtown by 7am and when we told the front desk they said they would have the breakfast available 30 min early to accommodate our group! Fitness room needs a bike, but that is the worst thing I can come up with. The staff was friendly. I would suggest that they ask patrons to not smoke right by the entrance.
I will stay at this hotel every time I need to visit Grand Rapids. Very convenient to route 131 into the city.

Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Southeastern Michigan
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This appears to be a fairly new Comfort Suites – it is very clean, rooms are big, breakfast is hot and very good. We were vacationing from across the state and while we had always wanted to attend a West Michigan White Caps baseball game, we didn’t think we would have the time. The Fifth Third ballpark for the White caps is almost within walking distance from this Comfort Suites – it is right across the street. So, we attended a game. I will start with what didn’t go so well – we have a family of 6 so I had to sleep on the pullout sofa bed with one of my sons – something that we normally do. The mattress on the pullout sofa is by far the worst I have ever slept on – you actually felt like the springs were digging into your back. Now the good – we travel A LOT for pleasure and even more for our kids sporting events. The customer service gentlemen both nights at the front desk (4/10 & 4/11) were by far the most pleasant and helpful we have ever had in all of our travels over a decade. On our 2nd night stay, I called down and told the front desk man that the pullout sofa was horrible – he apologized and said that he would do whatever he could to remedy the problem. I asked for two extra blankets to provide some cushion and he brought them to my room instantly and assured me that if he could help in any other way – to call down to the front desk. I did have to call down again because the USB charging ports did not work – he apologized and brought me up a plug in charger instantly. Long story short, never underestimate the value of top notch customer service! Great motel, very clean, rooms are big and nicely furnished, beds are comfortable, breakfast is hot and very good, customer service was top notch and it is located right across the street from the White Caps stadium. (pullout sofa beds need to be replaced however) Great place and we will stay here every time we are in the Grand Rapids area!

Room Tip: Our room was wonderful - we were in 418 right by the elevator, but it was amazingly quiet being that...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We had a King room suite, room 217, which looks exactly like the picture and room description on their website, Comfortsuitesgrandrapids.com. Very clean and comfortable. The Sofabed has a thin mattress, but housekeeping was more then generous with bed linens to make the sofabed much more comfortable. I love their pillows! This hotel is Walking distance to the Fifth Third Ballpark, which is exactly why we stayed here! After spending a Saturday afternoon drinking at the Winter Beer Fest @ Fifth Third Ballpark, we just wanted to walk back to our hotel-15 minute walk, at the most. The free breakfast in the cafe had a great selection of food; asst. fruits, make your own waffles, sausage, yogurt, cereal, muffins, bagels, toast, scrambled eggs, coffee, milk and juices. The hostess kept the food readily available ( which equals fresh!) and kept the dining area clean. Really glad to see that! The free breakfast is a HUGE perk to stay at this hotel because there is not much else around the area, within walking distance, except for a Bigby Coffee and Burger King. The pool (with a hot tub!) and mini gym were small but nice and clean. The staff at the front desk even recommended a very good Mexican restaurant in Sparta, MI - Downtown Trini's.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Montague, Michigan
Reviewed 19 February 2014

As an owner of travel lodging myself, I always grin when I see a comment that mentions exceeded expectations. This hotel did. We were in town for the funeral of our mother. We booked a suite in a hotel that was close and pricing was good. What we got was a clean and comfortable place to stay with staff that exceeded our expectations. I want to particularly mention the front desk staff (and I hope I have the name right). We checked in during a snowstorm. The hotel was full and turning people away. Kyle was managing a handful at that front desk. He was having to check-in, turn-away, and answer assorted questions, by himself. He handled everything with such kind professionalism that I wondered how a young man as he came by his abilities. I had some check-in trouble that was not caused by the hotel, but it was a bit of a challenge. You would not have known that watching Kyle handle himself. To the manager of this hotel. Commendations for the the desk person on the night of February 17. I believe the name was Kyle but am not positive. It would have been around 9:30 pm. That young man is a keeper. All of the staff were wonderfully polite and helpful.
To the travelor, this hotel has a nice pool and was quite filled with families and small children. We never noticed anything noisy in the hallways and slept quite well. Breakfast was the standard fare at hotels; waffles, breads, pastries, yogurt, fruit, juice, coffee, scrambled eggs (not good, sorry manager, you might look into this) and sausage/ham.

Room Tip: We stayed in the two Queen bed suite. It actually had a sofa bed in it too to make the room comfort...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Wyandotte, Michigan
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My stay was un-eventful, which is EXACTLY what I wanted and what all hotels should strive for.

I walked the property, all the security lights were on and operable.
My room was clean and the cleaning people were very informative on where in town to eat.
Our room was warm when we arrived, and quiet throughout the night.
The staff at the front desk were exceptional.

Our breakfast (which was included in the cost) was On time, and the food preparation surfaces were clean

I really cant say enough about the staff, they were really friendly and helpful.

I would recommend this hotel to others and will be staying there in the future.

Room Tip: 1st second floor rooms south side.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hotelmanagergr, Manager at Comfort Suites Grand Rapids North, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear John

Thank you for your business and your online review. I am very happy to hear about your positive experience at our hotel. Thank you also for the kind words about our team members and breakfast. We strive to be the best value in Grand Rapids and know how important a clean hotel and friendly staff is to someone from out of town.

We hope to see you the next time your travels bring you to Grand Rapids

Sincerely
Duane Zuber
Comfort Suites General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This hotel was very nice. I can't say enough about the front desk staff. They made accommodations for our dancers to use the theater room and moved all the couches so they could practice before their competition. I used the hot tub and exercise room which was more than enjoyable. I watched a movie in the theater all by myself one night and it was like a private showing just for me. I've never seen a theater in a hotel before and I have been travelling for 20 years. I want to stay at this hotel again and I am making plans to do so during this year for Art Prize. I can't wait. This is a nice little town in Comstock Park, Michigan.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Hotelmanagergr, General Manager at Comfort Suites Grand Rapids North, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am glad we were able to accommodate your dance group. Please let us know if we can help out with any future bookings. Thanks again for choosing us and see you during Art Prize!!
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I have stayed here many times over the last three years. Last year, I noticed the place looked to be in a decline and looking worn. And the front office staff was positively surly.

I just returned from another stay and can report improvement across the board. The room was cleaner, the staff actually was friendly and there were no problems at all. I recommend this as a place to lay your head north of Grand Rapids. My only quibble is that the hall carpet on the second floor looked dirty and the elevator remains slow as molasses in January, neither a big deal.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for the kind words. I am glad you had such a positive experience with us. I will make sure that the entire staff gets a chance to read this.

Thanks again for Choosing the Comfort Suites Grand Rapids North!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Comstock Park
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids N/Walker
Holiday Inn Express Grand Rapids-North
The Grand River Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Hampton Inn Grand Rapids-North
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East
Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Downtown

Been to Comfort Suites Grand Rapids North? Share your experiences!